The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Sourdough bread in M&S is £4.40, their basic white sliced is 89p.

I look forward to receiving the £3.51 differential straight to my bank account every month organised by Warburton to soften the expensive dough blow.

Poor bugger probably thinks we all have to pay our bakery staff a bit more to level them up with the family pilot.

Practicalities aside, "ask"? Why implement legislation when you can simply ask nicely and shrug your shoulders

It's nonsense to get something positive in the headlines for the economically illiterate

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Looks like the policy choices of Maduro's Venezuela weren't only admired by Jeremy Corbyn. 

The worst idea in the world. All price caps always make things worse.

If it costs me £1 to buy and stock milk and I'm capped at selling it at 95p surely I'll just stop stocking it rather than sell it. 

Price caps always cause more shortages as whatever is capped can't be made for a profit anymore so people leave the market for it.

Like the basic of basic economics. But populism is more important. What looks good for politicians 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If it costs me £1 to buy and stock milk and I'm capped at selling it at 95p surely I'll just stop stocking it rather than sell it. 

It’s two separate things, there. On the second one, I’d ask: If it costs me £1 to buy and stock milk and I'm capped at selling it at £1.04p surely I'll keep stocking and selling it?

on the first one, no they don’t always make things worse. The price of energy for consumers has been capped for example. But in terms of politics it’s, in this case, just froth and noise rather than any action and it wouldn’t solve any problems anyway. The cost problems are caused by a multitude of factors, some Brexit related, some Ukraine related, some related to supermarket supply contracts, some related to climate/weather…

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Looks like the policy choices of Maduro's Venezuela weren't only admired by Jeremy Corbyn. 

It's a slippery slope to being an existential threat to the Jewish community, Rishi.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It’s two separate things, there. On the second one, I’d ask: If it costs me £1 to buy and stock milk and I'm capped at selling it at £1.04p surely I'll keep stocking and selling it?

You'd expect so. But they need a profit margin to pay site fees, staff salary. Normally you need to run generally low margins on high turnover products and higher margin on products that have less turnover and waste.

I suspect milk, eggs and bread are tiny margin products. I also think if you didn't sell them you'd reduce sales of other products as less footfall. People need milk and buy a KitKat at same time when they just came for milk.

I just don't know why we would target small businesses though for price restrictions impacting their profitability when I can imagine they're already losing money as people reduce spending. 

We need to realise inflation is global issue driven by energy prices and raw material prices like grain. As everything requires a source product and energy and feeding are the top of the tree.

Also printing money means money itself is worth less. So if we have 15% more Pounds in circulation Vs start of 2020 and our economic production is about the same. Everything will be prices higher in terms of pounds but they haven't actually increased in price. The pound is just worth less than it was.

This is just a way government can essentially tax a population without raising taxes. Create inflation and you increase your tax revenue while decreasing the value of the debts you owe as you printed money into existence.

Sorry for long answer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

on the first one, no they don’t always make things worse. The price of energy for consumers has been capped for example. But in terms of politics it’s, in this case, just froth and noise rather than any action and it wouldn’t solve any problems anyway. The cost problems are caused by a multitude of factors, some Brexit related, some Ukraine related, some related to supermarket supply contracts, some related to climate/weather…

The mechanism for the energy cap is different. The energy actually costs the same, the government is just paying for part of our energy bills. So the prices of energy aren't being artificially capped because we can't do that. Gas and Oil prices are a global commodity. If we say we're not paying more than $50 a barrel for oil nobody would care someone else just buys it for the $69 it costs. 

Or in reality they get it for $65 as we're not in the market. So less bidders. 

What the government are doing is increasing the tax on energy companies so we can offset the increased government expenditure in subsidiaries for energy bills by increasing tax take at the same time. It's as good a solution as you probably can do. 

Also it's interesting why of all the reasons quoted for inflation you didn't mention the printing of money. Shows how effective the stealth taxation is. 

Edited by CVByrne

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Price caps always cause more shortages as whatever is capped can't be made for a profit anymore so people leave the market for it.

Like the basic of basic economics. But populism is more important. What looks good for politicians 

Bread and circuses. But where's the bloody circus?!

Boris and Co's WhatsApp messages surrounding the Covid enquiry being redacted and withheld for now, and the deadline for a decision on this extended until Thursday. This stinks. It's like one of us being in court and our barrister asking for evidence to be removed because it makes us look bad. I'd love to know what the messages say. Heard somebody on the radio jokingly say it could be because there's an admittance of a one night stand between Nadine Dorries and old bunter 😄 In all seriousness, as bad as you or I could imagine the messages to be, they'd probably be worse.

Yet another case of one rule for us...

And yet people are still going to vote Tory.

44 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Boris and Co's WhatsApp messages surrounding the Covid enquiry being redacted and withheld for now, and the deadline for a decision on this extended until Thursday. This stinks. It's like one of us being in court and our barrister asking for evidence to be removed because it makes us look bad. I'd love to know what the messages say. Heard somebody on the radio jokingly say it could be because there's an admittance of a one night stand between Nadine Dorries and old bunter 😄 In all seriousness, as bad as you or I could imagine the messages to be, they'd probably be worse.

Would love to know why there is any sort of extension here.  It's a nonsense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Surely they can't get away with not handing over everything.

I mean, obviously they can. There are thousands of government decisions that aren't made public.  

The justification being offered about how it might compromise cabinet responsibility is clearly nonsense, and it's obviously because there's just embarrassing stuff that would come out and ruin political careers do they just don't want to show the world.

But the principle of governments "handing over everything" is clearly not a realistic wish.

Edited by ml1dch

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â