The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Was watchingCh4 News before and the absolutely squirming bollocks being spouted by Tories was hilarious.

”I think the Conservative Party will look at this set of results and think hey can win the next General Election”

It took a while to stop laughing

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Apparently one of the reasons Green have done well in a lot of rural Tory seats is because of objections to local housing developments in rural areas. 

Not sure if this is good or bad.

We need more houses. Often local people can't afford to stay in rural areas they grew up in because houses are so expensive. 

But should we really be building in rural areas with little infrastructure and cars essential. 

You'd have to question if they would still vote green in a general election too when it's less about local issues. 

Tamworth has seen a huge amount of new homes being built which is of course needed, the problem and growing frustration now though is that there is no increase in the infrastructure to maintain the bigger population.

When I bought my house we could see in the paperwork all the millions of pounds that the builder had to invest in the town, on top of what they paid for the land. There were pages and pages of it. 

Hundreds of thousands for primary schools, hundreds of thousands for high schools, hundreds of thousands for dentists, hundreds of thousands for doctors, hundreds of thousands for sports facilities, hundreds of thousands for roads, loads and loads of stuff. There’s about 6/7/8 separate new build estates going on in the town currently. God knows where all the money is going though. 

This is a problem now with people blocking plans for more houses, the infrastructure investment for the thousands already built has vanished. 

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Tamworth has seen a huge amount of new homes being built which is of course needed, the problem and growing frustration now though is that there is no increase in the infrastructure to maintain the bigger population.

When I bought my house we could see in the paperwork all the millions of pounds that the builder had to invest in the town, on top of what they paid for the land. There were pages and pages of it. 

Hundreds of thousands for primary schools, hundreds of thousands for high schools, hundreds of thousands for dentists, hundreds of thousands for doctors, hundreds of thousands for sports facilities, hundreds of thousands for roads, loads and loads of stuff. There’s about 6/7/8 separate new build estates going on in the town currently. God knows where all the money is going though. 

This is a problem now with people blocking plans for more houses, the infrastructure investment for the thousands already built has vanished. 

Yeah, would be interesting to see where the new schools, dentists, doctors and sports facilities are or if the money just gets hoovered up and spent elsewhere. 

I wouldn't call Tamworth rural mind. 

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, would be interesting to see where the new schools, dentists, doctors and sports facilities are or if the money just gets hoovered up and spent elsewhere. 

I wouldn't call Tamworth rural mind. 

The few hundred grands were for existing schools. Where I live they also had to pay £4.8m for a completely new primary school to be built. This was 5 years ago and it still hasn’t been built (or even started).

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

'Kinell my council Horsham has gone Lib Dem majority.  I think it's the longest held Tory constituency in the country in GEs.

That's my council too. Good to know, because I was planning to vote Lib Dem and (embarrassingly) forgot to vote because things are crazy at work at the moment.

When I moved here I looked at the General Election results from the election before last and they were mad - Tories had about 50% of the vote, and the next biggest party was UKIP. So the council switching to the Lib Dems is big news.

Maybe our new yellow overlords will allow me a slightly larger bin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Rishi Sunak, General Pinochet, Peter Shilton, Jeffrey Archer, Liz Truss, Jimmy Saville, Jim Davidson, Gary Barlow, Cthulhu, The Lord Evgenny Lebedev, Phil Collins, your boys took a hell of a beating. A hell of a beating. 

...Frank Lampard! Can you hear me Frank Lampard?

• Like 1

The results are definitely interesting, mainly because of the big Lib Dem and Green vote. 

The commentary seems to be across the board "terrible for Tories but massive Labour underperformance"

But take this one:

Amber Valley is 235th on Labour's target list, and would be their 430th (approx) seat won if they take all of the ones before it. And they took the council control as safely as you like.

I think the big takeaway is just how tactically the tactical voting held up. Seems like everywhere knew exactly how to vote if you wanted to get rid of the Tory.

So while there might have been some foolish person on here yesterday saying that vote share was the only thing that mattered, I'd wonder if the vote share breaking in this way might actually be worse for the Tories than if it had just been a big Labour lead. 

Maybe I'm just getting overexcited though.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

This always tends to happen though when people are fed of the main government the local elections they get wiped out so not a suprise.

When starmer takes over or any other labour leader and becomes unpopular the othee parties wipe them out in local elections. Its just the way viting patterns tend to go in this country 

Quite interesting though to see not just labour but other parties have picked a lot of gains

‘Independents’ lost close on 100 seats too, which suggests to me people saw through the tories that were trying to hide their true colours by pretending to be indies, which is about as low as it goes.

Glad they took a kicking. But hopefully Labour also saw a message in there that they’ve got work to do beyond promising to be tories with less corruption.

10 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I think the big takeaway is just how tactically the tactical voting held up. Seems like everywhere knew exactly how to vote if you wanted to get rid of the Tory.

https://tactical.vote/

There’s a few websites like the one above designed to do just this kind of thing. It’s pretty depressing we have a system where this kind of thing is needed though.

I overheard an interview on the radio yesterday saying there were areas of the country where the Labour Party didn’t even put out a flyer or do any kind of campaigning despite putting up a candidate. I’d prefer they just stand down in such constituencies and let the liberals have a clear run at it.

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I’d prefer they just stand down in such constituencies and let the liberals have a clear run at it.

They can't, it's against the party constitution

25 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

https://tactical.vote/

There’s a few websites like the one above designed to do just this kind of thing.

I know. But those websites have existed since the start of the internet.  I remember sending the link round for one around 15+ years ago.

The existence of such websites isn't the sole explanation for the success of the anti-Tory vote yesterday, otherwise (for example) 2015 and 2019 wouldn't have gone the way that they did.

Heard one on the radio last night, seeding the next gaslighting theory. Apparently Labour are already doing a deal with the SNP for a coalition. Just think of the carnage that would cause to the country :bang:

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

Heard one on the radio last night, seeding the next gaslighting theory. Apparently Labour are already doing a deal with the SNP for a coalition. Just think of the carnage that would cause to the country :bang:

They must be gutted they used their antisemitism cards in 2019 and now have less to run with as an attack. 

9 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yes, spouted on the BBC yesterday by the political editor of the sun. Just imagine the bat shit crazy threat and rumours they’ll be front paging over the next 18 months.

Imagine the loss of opportunity for theft and asset stripping if the tories lose power. They will need to throw all the shit they can at every wall to see what sticks.

Edited by chrisp65

So, the Tory vote share on Thursday hit their national polling pretty much on the nose.

Labour down a dozen points on polls, Lib Dems up a dozen points.

So the analysis saying how this is a problem for Starmer and the results show no enthusiasm for Labour, are they arguing that the results therefore show enthusiasm in the country for Ed Davey's Liberal Democrats?

I still don't get why the results aren't pointing to "millions of people not voting Tory anymore", and why (seemingly sensible) people are seeing the Tories losing seats to the Lib Dems makes a Labour majority more difficult. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

So, the Tory vote share on Thursday hit their national polling pretty much on the nose.

Labour down a dozen points on polls, Lib Dems up a dozen points.

So the analysis saying how this is a problem for Starmer and the results show no enthusiasm for Labour, are they arguing that the results therefore show enthusiasm in the country for Ed Davey's Liberal Democrats?

I still don't get why the results aren't pointing to "millions of people not voting Tory anymore", and why (seemingly sensible) people are seeing the Tories losing seats to the Lib Dems makes a Labour majority more difficult. 

I think the tories have seen it. I listened to a few yesterday that saw that whilst their brand clearly stinks at the moment, people weren’t enthused by the Labour offer. Which they saw as meaning they had 18 months of clear water to put between themselves and the previous bin fires. The more dull competence they could pile up over the next year, the more distance from a pandemic and a brexit and Johnson and Truss the more people would be prepared to vote tory.

I still think the Tories (Sunak) might pull out a Europe shaped rabbit from the hat before the GE. 

The ground work has been going on here, and in Europe. It won’t be for nothing. Their only hope is having the balls to do what Starmer won’t and can’t.

A new, improved, actually worthwhile trading arrangement with the EU/Europe/EEA/UK deal whatever you want to call it. They know how much it’ll be worth by how much they have lost with the current one. 
The only chance they have of avoiding a trouncing is Brexit 2.0. We have our sovrin tea and also a Free Trade Agreement. We won! And Sunak did what BoJo couldn’t. 3 cheers for Rishi!

If we end up sending them £100b a year for a membership card then it can be accounted for with the amazing unrestricted trade we will enjoy, and the EU said they’d be open to talking about the boat crisis #winning.

Edited by Genie

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â