The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Just now, LondonLax said:

And yet he does. He will likely get away with it too. 

Pretty every question and answer shows him up as a liar.

I know it, you know if, the committee know it, Boris knows it… it was deliberate.

If the outcome is for him to get away with this then the whole thing is a farce.

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

And that is, in theory, a perfectly acceptable defence if you are arguing that you were not lying when you said you were not breaking the law. 

No it isn't.

As I said in my OP, it is a tried, tested and accepted principle that ignorance of the law is no defence.  No theory, that is hard baked into our legal system.

Just now, LondonLax said:

And yet he does. He will likely get away with it too. 

Great, I'm all for him "getting away with it", it'll take another ten MPs minimum away from the Tories at the next election. 

But if I was wearing a tin foil hat and I was Johnson, I'd be worried that Sunak had knobbled the Tories on the committee. What better way to get rid of the biggest thorn in your side than the PC getting rid of him for you

I liked "If I was driving at 100 mph, and the speedometer showed I was driving at 100 mph, but you were sitting next to me and assured me that I wasn't driving 100 mph, would I l just accept your assurances or believe what I had already seen with my own eyes?"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No it isn't.

As I said in my OP, it is a tried, tested and accepted principle that ignorance of the law is no defence.  No theory, that is hard baked into our legal system.

He’s not dealing with the legal system. 

The question is not whether he broke the law (he did, ignorance is no excuse there). 

The question is whether he lied to parliament. You and I are pretty certain he did but on this count ignorance is a viable excuse. Maybe he really didn’t know so wasn’t lying (haha). This is the strategy he is using and it is a viable defence for him in the defence of the accusation of lying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

But if I was wearing a tin foil hat and I was Johnson, I'd be worried that Sunak had knobbled the Tories on the committee. What better way to get rid of the biggest thorn in your side than the PC getting rid of him for you

Nah. He needs a month of Johnson on the campaign trail followed by a Tory by-election loss like a hole in the head.

He's stopping the Tories from electorally drowning by making all the Johnson-style psychodrama go away. The Brexit vote today showed that Johnson is no threat, so there's no real benefit in pushing him out of the Commons when he'll probably be gone next year anyway.

• Like 1

The day of Prince Philip’s funeral where the Queen sat on her own in the cathedral they were having parties in Downing Street… does Boris think she was on her own because she didn’t have enough friends & family to fill the place up?

Regardless of your opinion of Johnson time and time again, it has been shown that is an idiot and falls apart under tough questioning. You might have hated Thatcher and Blair but at least they had some intelligence rather than toshing their hair and quoting Latin when it all goes to shit. He is finished. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Regardless of your opinion of Johnson time and time again, it has been shown that is an idiot and falls apart under tough questioning. You might have hated Thatcher and Blair but at least they had some intelligence rather than toshing their hair and quoting Latin when it all goes to shit. He is finished. 

2 or 3 times he tried to make a stand and ask “where’s the evidence of that?” when one of the committee made a statement and they’d just quote the page number of the dossier :lol: 

I don’t think he even read it before he went in.

Yesterday just made him look weak. Everything was "nobody told me that" "I was briefed but they didn't say this" "I was told the rules weren't broken"

You can't pretend that you were an all ruling leader and then resort back to having to be told everything to do by someone else.

Ultimately the thing in all of this that really boils my piss, is that it's once again coming down to him saying it was a work gathering, which he says was "Essential" because of how hard everyone at Number 10 was working, and they followed the guidelines as well as they could.

The insinuation being that even if that was true, that it would be ok.

Which is total bollocks.

Imagine, when those press conferences were happening and they had questions from the public at the start, if I'd popped up on the Zoom and said "my team at work have been working really hard, is it ok if I hold a small, unsocially distanced leaving party for them with a few bottles of wine and some cake?"

No **** way would Hancock or Johnson have said "Yeah that's fine, just do your best to abide by the guidelines"

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â