The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I hope he does get off with it.

Just another torpedo in the side of the Tory Party's hull.

It's bad enough for them that Partygate is back in the news but if he gets off the outrage will be deafening

Just now, bickster said:

I hope he does get off with it.

Just another torpedo in the side of the Tory Party's hull.

It's bad enough for them that Partygate is back in the news but if he gets off the outrage will be deafening

100%

People will see it as him getting away with it. 

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's the bit, specifically - He claims they have no right to do that. Their remit does not extend to them deciding what their scope is.

And while I don't blame him at all for making that argument, if they have decided that they can find against him on that basis, and proceed to do so, the argument that he is making doesn't really help him much.

30 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

And while I don't blame him at all for making that argument, if they have decided that they can find against him on that basis, and proceed to do so, the argument that he is making doesn't really help him much.

Until it comes to any vote in Parliament on it (any punishment).

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

Until it comes to any vote in Parliament on it (any punishment).

I don't think it will at all. I expect that every non-Tory is going to vote for whatever sanction the PC decide on (if any).

So that just leaves the Tories. Sunak has already said there will be no whipping on the matter, so it really just depends how many Tories can be arsed to drag themselves into the chamber to vote. And I'd be surprised if there are many of them invested enough in Johnson's political future to be that bothered about committee overreach when deciding which way to vote, if they even do. 

At the very least, it's going to come well below their own political future in their hierarchy of needs, and I think a big chunk of them will simply decide that they will have Important Constituency Work to do on the day of any vote.

59 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I don't think it will at all. I expect that every non-Tory is going to vote for whatever sanction the PC decide on (if any).

So that just leaves the Tories. Sunak has already said there will be no whipping on the matter, so it really just depends how many Tories can be arsed to drag themselves into the chamber to vote. And I'd be surprised if there are many of them invested enough in Johnson's political future to be that bothered about committee overreach when deciding which way to vote, if they even do. 

At the very least, it's going to come well below their own political future in their hierarchy of needs, and I think a big chunk of them will simply decide that they will have Important Constituency Work to do on the day of any vote.

That seems reasonable. I wonder though  - Labour and the other parties - presumably also a free vote. How many of them will turn up? My thinking was that there are a core of devotees of Bunter, a handful of tories that can't stand him and then a load that just (as you imply) wish it would all go away as they don't want to be seen either supporting him, or crucifying him. If there are (and it is an "if") reasons not to do him over (like genuine questions over whether the Inquiry has stepped outside its remit) then more will not turn up/abstain on the basis that they don't need to be seen to be ending his career.

I think he'll get away with a ticking off at most. Maybe have to say sorry again.

51 minutes ago, blandy said:

That seems reasonable. I wonder though  - Labour and the other parties - presumably also a free vote. How many of them will turn up? My thinking was that there are a core of devotees of Bunter, a handful of tories that can't stand him and then a load that just (as you imply) wish it would all go away as they don't want to be seen either supporting him, or crucifying him. If there are (and it is an "if") reasons not to do him over (like genuine questions over whether the Inquiry has stepped outside its remit) then more will not turn up/abstain on the basis that they don't need to be seen to be ending his career.

I think he'll get away with a ticking off at most. Maybe have to say sorry again.

Yup, reckon that's spot on. The Tory majority on the committee means that I think they'll settle on the result that causes the least amount of drama for the Government. And that result = guilty of what he's been accused of, but with a sanction that just closes the whole thing down permanently e.g a five day suspension and then everything is forgotten about. The last thing Sunak needs is the world's media following Johnson round the by-election campaign trail for two weeks. And if it's that, it'll probably go through on the nod, because nobody will care enough. 

If I've got that wrong, and they go for the ten days / enough to trigger the recall petition then I reckon every Labour / Lib Dem / SNP MP will be there bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on the day of the vote to screw him over. And there won't be nearly enough Tories to care enough to stop them from winning. 

I’m really curious about the language being used, maybe someone can explain. It’s around the use of the word “recklessly”.

Ive heard of people driving vehicles recklessly. Waving pointy objects around recklessly. Going into a tackle recklessly. I’ve never heard of someone lying recklessly.

Not that I want anyone to think I’m some of kind of Johnson fanboy. I just don’t know how you lie in a reckless fashion.

12 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I’m really curious about the language being used, maybe someone can explain. It’s around the use of the word “recklessly”.

Ive heard of people driving vehicles recklessly. Waving pointy objects around recklessly. Going into a tackle recklessly. I’ve never heard of someone lying recklessly.

Not that I want anyone to think I’m some of kind of Johnson fanboy. I just don’t know how you lie in a reckless fashion.

I think that's it's to cover off the stupidity argument, because they're not saying he lied (narrator: he lied), they're saying he misled.

So you either did it deliberately (you lied), or you did it by accident but you were "reckless" in not finding out whether you were misleading. If you didn't realise that a long weekend with four prostitutes and a bin bag of coke* wasn't permitted by the Covid regulations, you don't get to use your ignorance as a get-out clause.

*disclaimer: an absurd example to demonstrate the point. I'd never dream of suggesting that this is a tableau that any Tory MP or Prime Minister would find themselves a part of.

Edited by ml1dch

I hope one of the MP’s asks him if he really is so pathetic that he lodges as defence of “nobody told me” when he was the **** Prime Minister breaching the rules he has only just created.

• Like 1

He just said: If it was obviously wrong to me then it was also obviously wrong to many other people including the current Prime Minister

If he’s going down he’s going to take everyone else with him it seems.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I hope one of the MP’s asks him if he really is so pathetic that he lodges as defence of “nobody told me” when he was the **** Prime Minister breaching the rules he has only just created.

I'd be shocked if Harriet Harman (A KC) didn't ask him if nobody else will. Worth saying though that committee is made up of 4 Tories, 2 Labour and 1 SNP. One of those Tories needs to turn though

• Like 1

Actually so bored I am watching this party gate thing on TV.

Bumbling Boris the Buffoon appears to me to be struggling at this meeting, with his waffling and bluster not fooling anyone at this meeting 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â