The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But this is incredibly important. I think it'd dangerous to just always take this for granted. 

January 6th in America shows what happens when language and certain media outlets manipulate people. 

I agree, we should never take it for granted and always stay vigilant. I still believe the Jan 6th event in US is just a unique incident in that an extreme minority of the most right wing people congregated and the police were un prepared. To really not have a peaceful transition of power you need a sizable part of the population to be complicit. For a country controlled by the companies like the US. That's bad for business and would never really happen (as in we were never really close to that). 

I worry more for the response to that. State sponsored censorship is more worrying. I'd be more in favour of allowing total freedom of speech on twitter etc.. than a state deciding what should be censored as the latter can be abused over time. I'd likely prefer laws and controls akin to those in banking of KYC. Know your customer. So people are linked to their accounts and thereby liable for what they say.

Will be interesting if any of The Tories start complaining about the election result.  Its going to be very different because all polls have them getting a trouncing. The USA result was never a foregone conclusion. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Will be interesting if any of The Tories start complaining about the election result.  Its going to be very different because all polls have them getting a trouncing. The USA result was never a foregone conclusion. 

Let’s see who’s demographic suffers the most from the new i.d. rules they haven’t exactly over publicised.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Let’s see who’s demographic suffers the most from the new i.d. rules they haven’t exactly over publicised.

It's on the back of half the buses around here. I'm of the opinion that it will completely backfire because the younger generations are used to carrying around ID and even though the older more Tory voting generations have more options of ID to use, they'll be the ones not getting the message and not being able to vote on the day. The ID issue is also going to be more of an issue in rural areas than urban, it's not hrd to pop back home to get ID in a city, its a pain in the arse in the countryside.

I really do think it'll be a spectacular own goal

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rolta said:

this is all about the state broadcaster,

it isn't the state broadcaster, it's the national broadcaster. There's a very clear difference. In the UK that difference would be between the broadcaster broadcasting on behalf of and as the voice of the Government (the tories currently). The national broadcaster is the (in the UK) pre-eminent public service broadcaster, broadcasting in essence on behalf of and for the benefit of the nation. Completely different. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blandy said:

it isn't the state broadcaster, it's the national broadcaster. There's a very clear difference. In the UK that difference would be between the broadcaster broadcasting on behalf of and as the voice of the Government (the tories currently). The national broadcaster is the (in the UK) pre-eminent public service broadcaster, broadcasting in essence on behalf of and for the benefit of the nation. Completely different. 

Slip of the tongue. 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

My sons school closed for another 2 days this week due to strike action.

Is there anything official on what the Teachers Unions are asking for, and what is offered? 

Dunno but the Junior Doctors aren't after 35% they said this morning 

bigbangtheory-jimparsons.gif

Edited by sidcow

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Is there anything official on what the Teachers Unions are asking for, and what is offered? 

They have asked for 12% which given their wages have fell by 24% since 2010 seems a reasonable request. Gov have offered 5%. I am sure if the government acted like adults and got around the table with them and had serious discussions regarding pay that the teachers would be willing to accept less than 12%.

I feel sorry for anyone whose child is having to miss school days and I'd be angry if it were one of mine. I am sure you don't need me to tell you where that anger should be directed though. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

They want 12%, 5% has been offered and 9% for new teachers. Also want better conditions, i.e more teachers, which I guess won't happen overnight.

What I don't understand is why only some schools are striking, my sons and other local schools in our area are not striking, all have the same hardship I'm sure.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

What I don't understand is why only some schools are striking, my sons and other local schools in our area are not striking, all have the same hardship I'm sure.

Different unions, perhaps? 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

They want 12%, 5% has been offered and 9% for new teachers. Also want better conditions, i.e more teachers, which I guess won't happen overnight.

My son is at high school and daughter at primary school but they are both part of the same academy.

The teachers at the primary school have decided not to strike, but the high school have.

I don’t know why though. The only observation I can make is that the Primary school is really well run and has mainly older teachers who have many years of service. I believe striking interrupts the years of service so younger/newer teachers generally have less to lose. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:
3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Different unions, perhaps? 

I think it is more to do with changes that the Tories made to thresholds needing to be met in terms of a percentage of those balloted needing to vote in favour rather than simply 10 people balloted only 3 responded but two were in favour so that is enough for strike action. Now I think you ballot say 10 people you need 50% to respond and be in favour so at least 5 out of 10 to respond and be in favour. For that reason unions have localised ballots which is why you will also find only certain hospitals are affected by strike action.

That may not be gospel what I put above but it it something along those lines.

20 hours ago, blandy said:

Rees Mogg when talking about Lineker earlier said the BBC is the state broadcaster. Surprise surprise he also said what has happened with Lineker shows why the licence fee should be abolished.

There are certainly plenty of Tories who have tried to make/think the BBC should be the voice of the government.

• Like 1

So the courts have allowed a challenge to Rwanda based on the government having probably not thought through the implications of deporting people to - Rwanda. Lineker's done, long live the campaign against the lefty woke judges.

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So the courts have allowed a challenge to Rwanda based on the government having probably not thought through the implications of deporting people to - Rwanda. Lineker's done, long live the campaign against the lefty woke judges.

It’s ridiculous that they keep writing immigration policies that are always destined to be rejected. The millions / billions wasted on it whilst nurses use food banks is disgusting.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â