The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 hours ago, Genie said:

When did he know about Zahawi’s tax issues? Why didn’t he do anything about it until now?

"I'm not going to comment on an ongoing investigation, but what I will say is this is the government that got Brexit done, biggest economic growth since blah de blah, levelling up, magical money tree, covid vaccines, inflation..."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"I'm not going to comment on an ongoing investigation, but what I will say is this is the government that got Brexit done, biggest economic growth since blah de blah, levelling up, magical money tree, covid vaccines, inflation..."

“… Putin’s appalling invasion”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

People: “oh they are all the same, I can’t be bothered”

And thus, nothing changes.

So true,

If there is general apathy of voters at the next GE, then elected MP may have a tiny amount of votes yet still get in representing a constituency that the vast majority either didnt vote for at all or voted for someone else

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson loan probe into BBC chair to be run by father of Rishi Sunak's policy chief
William Shawcross, the Commissioner for Public Appointments, will lead a probe into Richard Sharp’s appointment as BBC chair. But Mr Shawcross’s daughter, Eleanor, is head of No10’s policy unit

Mirror

Its just laughable at this stage

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

By “loan” are we assuming it’s actually a gift/bribe?

It would be fairly easy to confirm if any repayments on said loan ever occurred.

It doesn't really matter if it's loan or gift. It could be a loan on paper, but the terms might be laughably generous, or it may be a nod and wink basis for paying back.

A politician shouldn't be having what is clearly a reciprocal relationship with an outside entity. If they need a loan, they should be a one way conversation, the same as anyone off the street. When someone associated with that loan gets their back scratched, it immediately looks improper at best, and most likely is improper to some degree.

The defence given seems to be that Sharp is just a intermediary, but that doesn't really seem to help matters imo. 'i just helped Johnson get a big wedge of cash, it wasn't my money' isn't a slam dunk defence.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It doesn't really matter if it's loan or gift. It could be a loan on paper, but the terms might be laughably generous, or it may be a nod and wink basis for paying back.

A politician shouldn't be having what is clearly a reciprocal relationship with an outside entity. If they need a loan, they should be a one way conversation, the same as anyone off the street. When someone associated with that loan gets their back scratched, it immediately looks improper at best, and most likely is improper to some degree.

The defence given seems to be that Sharp is just a intermediary, but that doesn't really seem to help matters imo. 'i just helped Johnson get a big wedge of cash, it wasn't my money' isn't a slam dunk defence.

The first line is important, because the appointment process requires that any factors which are or could be perceived to be a conflict of interest have to be declared by the candidates. I heard that Sharp, prior to the process, told Simon Case, the senior cabinet officer, about the “arrangement” and was told “woah! You shouldn’t be anywhere near this”. So he clearly knew it was (at best) a bad look. When the interviewing etc. got underway he didn’t declare this stuff, which he should have done.  Also, apparently Johnson, Sharp and the Canadian bloke who provided the loan guarantee had a dinner at Chequers during lockdown, when they shouldn’t have met up at all, in person. It’s claimed that the subject of the loan guarantee wasn’t discussed at their cosy meal, which seems non-credible.

Since he’s been in the role he’s been stepping outside his remit and involving himself in decisions which he shouldn’t be involved with, like appointing the BBC news editor.

So undeclared conflict of interest, Johnson appointing a chum and major Tory donor to what is supposed to be an independent role and then that person steering things in a particular direction, favourable to the Tories. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The first line is important, because the appointment process requires that any factors which are or could be perceived to be a conflict of interest have to be declared by the candidates. I heard that Sharp, prior to the process, told Simon Case, the senior cabinet officer, about the “arrangement” and was told “woah! You shouldn’t be anywhere near this”. So he clearly knew it was (at best) a bad look. When the interviewing etc. got underway he didn’t declare this stuff, which he should have done.  Also, apparently Johnson, Sharp and the Canadian bloke who provided the loan guarantee had a dinner at Chequers during lockdown, when they shouldn’t have met up at all, in person. It’s claimed that the subject of the loan guarantee wasn’t discussed at their cosy meal, which seems non-credible.

Since he’s been in the role he’s been stepping outside his remit and involving himself in decisions which he shouldn’t be involved with, like appointing the BBC news editor.

So undeclared conflict of interest, Johnson appointing a chum and major Tory donor to what is supposed to be an independent role and then that person steering things in a particular direction, favourable to the Tories. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Plus sprinkle in a few peerages and knighthoods etc to smooth the "deal"

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â