The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody is buying their shit anymore. This is the major shift in the general public. 

I agree that a major shift in public opinion has occurred but I think it happened some time ago, partygate did it and I thought then that it was a position that it was always going to be hard to recover from, the switch it collective minds had been flicked. What Truss has done is send public opinion into a cataclysmic nose-dive. Sunak really can't turn that around, the only question is when will the Tories lose a General Election rather if they'll lose.

Sunak is already making major mistakes with the appointment of Braverman and it's becoming rather untenable and rather quickly. He told us it was a minor breach that she reported herself. That appears to be, from multiple sources, a complete crock of shit.

Imagine if he's forced to get rid of her so soon into his premiership, it can only reflect badly on his decision making ability and yet again opens up the lying to parliament question, which he'll brush aside with "it was true to the best of my knowledge" but in the minds of the people, that won't wash any more

William Hague was partly right about the death spiral, where he was wrong was the assumption that Sunak (or someone other than Johnson) could fix it, they can't

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Imagine if he's forced to get rid of her so soon into his premiership, it can only reflect badly on his decision making ability and yet again opens up the lying to parliament question, which he'll brush aside with "it was true to the best of my knowledge" but in the minds of the people, that won't wash any more

But like Boris Johnson and Chris Pincher, someone will come out and say Sunak knew about the other breaches all along and he’ll find himself in the exact same hot water.

A bullshitting leader who wouldn’t know a good decision if it slapped him round the face.

Just now, Genie said:

But like Boris Johnson and Chris Pincher, someone will come out and say Sunak knew about the other breaches all along and he’ll find himself in the exact same hot water.

A bullshitting leader who wouldn’t know a good decision if it slapped him round the face.

Exactly right. Its a talent they currently have, making bad decisions, they are champions at it. Every binary choice they seem to make, is the wrong one

• Like 1

Two Conservative MPs have questioned the re-appointment of Suella Braverman as home secretary, just days after she quit over data breaches.

Caroline Nokes told the BBC there were "big questions" hanging over the issue and called for a full inquiry. 

And former Tory Party chairman Jake Berry said Ms Braverman's breaches had been multiple and serious.

———————

Ms Nokes - Conservative MP for Romsey and Southampton North - agreed there should be an inquiry.

Speaking to BBC Radio Solent, she said: "I think what is apparent is that there are big questions hanging over this whole issue. 

"And to be frank I would like to see them cleared up so that the home secretary can get on with her job." 

Mr Berry - who served as party chairman under Ms Truss but was fired by Mr Sunak - has also questioned Ms Braverman's return to the cabinet. 

He told Talk TV that Ms Braverman had sent a document "from a private email address to another MP, she then sought to copy in that individual's wife but accidentally sent it to a staffer in Parliament.

"To me, that seems to be a really serious breach - the cabinet secretary had his say at the time. I doubt he has changed his mind in the last six days."

Link

So what are we predicting then?

1) It’ll all blow over

2) There’s an agreement to do an investigation which concludes it, and any other breaches, are no big deal.

3) They realise an investigation will make them all look bad so she decides to “step down”. 

Im going with 3).

It’s Chris Pincher all over again

Reports have emerged suggesting that, as attorney general, she was investigated over the leak of a story involving MI5. 

Ms Braverman was reappointed as home secretary just days after she resigned over separate data breaches. 

Several Conservative MPs have raised questions about her reappointment.

———————

Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said: "The prime minister needs to say whether he knew about these allegations when he re-appointed her. Ignoring warnings about security risks when appointing a home secretary is highly irresponsible and dangerous. We need answers now."

Raising the matter in the House of Lords, former Home Secretary Lord David Blunkett told peers the security and intelligence services could be reluctant to brief the home secretary and that other international security agencies would be reluctant to share information with the UK "if they're fearful that information will be passed out from government itself".

BBC

He’s been side by side with Boris Johnson for years and had to ensure lie after lie, scandal after scandal… then literally the first thing he does is appoint someone who’s career appears to be littered with sackable misdemeanours to a position of high power.

They just don’t have a day off being self serving scum do they?  

Braverman must be done.

In terms of Sunak’s political judgement, I guess the question is whether this was a smart gamble to keep Johnson off the ballot, knowing full well he could get rid of Braverman in short order… or whether he really did see her as part of a “big tent” and has been caught totally unawares by this.

Hard to really know how he thinks on the political stuff. As Starmer said, he lost to a woman who lost to a lettuce, so maybe he’s extremely politically naive.

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Braverman must be done.

In terms of Sunak’s political judgement, I guess the question is whether this was a smart gamble to keep Johnson off the ballot, knowing full well he could get rid of Braverman in short order… or whether he really did see her as part of a “big tent” and has been caught totally unawares by this.

Hard to really know how he thinks on the political stuff. As Starmer said, he lost to a woman who lost to a lettuce, so maybe he’s extremely politically naive.

Sunak didn't need her onside, he was already way past the 100 threshold when Braverman came out and supported him on the Sunday afternoon, Johnson was close to out of the running at that point already. She tweeted her support at about 3PM on Sunday. Johnson was as good as sunk by then already

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sunak didn't need her onside, he was already way past the 100 threshold when Braverman came out and supported him on the Sunday afternoon, Johnson was close to out of the running at that point already. She tweeted her support at about 3PM on Sunday. Johnson was as good as sunk by then already

Yes but it wasn't about his own 100 threshold, it was about stopping Johnson from reaching it. In hindsight, it seems unnecessary, but guess they got spooked by Johnson's claims of nearing 100... or maybe they thought Mordaunt might sneak on.

The way Steve Baker was talking about Johnson, it seems pretty unlikely they needed Braverman tbh, so someone has played a blinder here.

All a bit baffling. Sunak surely doesn't actually rate Braverman.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â