The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

More interesting than the average "Labour by 20-30 points" poll as it's constituency by constituency rather than just national.

Ten cabinet members losing their seats including Hunt, Rees-Mogg and Coffey, and it would be the Tories' worse General Election defeat in history. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

Hunt scrapping nearly everything from the budget-that's-not-a-budget.

1p income tax cut scrapped "indefinitely" along with other smaller tax cuts. Energy Price guarantee will now only last until April with scheme stripped back after that.

I think only Stamp Duty and NIC reversal remain, and that's only because they've already been implemented. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Hunt scrapping nearly everything from the budget-that's-not-a-budget.

1p income tax cut scrapped "indefinitely" along with other smaller tax cuts. Energy Price guarantee will now only last until April with scheme stripped back after that.

I think only Stamp Duty and NIC reversal remain, and that's only because they've already been implemented. 

So people face a cliff edge next year when energy bills are likely to be between 6 - 8k.

The uncertainty is going to have a real impact on peoples mental health.

13 hours ago, ml1dch said:

More interesting than the average "Labour by 20-30 points" poll as it's constituency by constituency rather than just national.

Ten cabinet members losing their seats including Hunt, Rees-Mogg and Coffey, and it would be the Tories' worse General Election defeat in history. 

To add to this, the seat-by-seat extrapolation was on the basis of a 15 point Labour lead. Apparently if that lead were 20 points at the time of an election, they would only keep three seats. 

• Haha 1

The president of the United States, Joe Biden, has called Liz Truss's original economic policies "a mistake".

In an unusual intervention, he said the economic turmoil that followed the government's mini-budget had been "predictable".

Speaking at an ice cream shop in Oregon, Mr Biden was asked by reporters about the prime minister's attempt to boost growth with unfunded tax cuts - what the reporter called the "trickle-down plan that she has had to back away from".

The president replied: "Well, it's predictable. I wasn't the only one that thought it was a mistake."

He added: "I think that the idea of cutting taxes on the super wealthy at a time when - anyway, I just think - I disagreed with the policy, but that's up to Great Britain to make that judgment, not me."

Mr Biden has long been critical of the economic theory at the heart of the prime minister's policy, namely that cutting taxes on businesses and the rich generates growth that allows wealth to "trickle down" to all sectors of society.

BBC

Its the words that annoy me, Hunt said by taking these measures we are raising 32 billion per year. No no Mr Hunt, we are where we are, these haven't been implemented yet so you are not raising anything. All you have done is scrapped a load of policies that were touted because they do not make financial sense and you wouldn't have had the numbers to get them passed through anyway. 

Liz Truss whose whole campaign was built on promises of tax cuts has now not cut tax and removed the Rishi policy of reducing tax in 2024 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Are there any projections on the extra tax take from putting Corp Tax up by 6%?  I would assume that will more than make up for the Health and Social Care levy reversal.

It’ll be interesting to see what the OBR say when they cost it out. It’s a pretty punchy rise, although not to the point of being unfair. Like you I’m guessing it’ll raise quite a bit of revenue.

It'd be nice if it was done in tiers, like income tax.

As a small business owner, I could end up in deep shit with that rise coming on top of all my other cost increases.

Being a Ltd company, we got practically no help during Covid either - only the offer of a long-term loan.

"The party of business"? **** rocket polishers.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, maqroll said:

Grim assessment. 

Interesting video but a bit one sided in my view. Not much said about Putin and his Oligarchs and Stalin wasn't exactly warm and cuddly, nor Mao nor Pol Pot etc etc.

Extremism is horrific either way extreme left/communism and far right facsicm......same side of the coin

16 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

As a small business owner, I could end up in deep shit with that rise coming on top of all my other cost increases.

Being a Ltd company, we got practically no help during Covid either - only the offer of a long-term loan.

Yep, it has the potential to kill my missus’ business too, their margins are already pretty tight.

You’d have thought they could apply some form of logic and go after the big corps first and foremost but they won’t.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

So people face a cliff edge next year when energy bills are likely to be between 6 - 8k.

They will be further help beyond that but I expect it will be more targetted

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

You must have been quite unlucky to not be eligible for any of the covid help for ltd businesses, as they threw a lot of money around. It was mostly the recently self-employed that got left out. Anyone with a fixed premises that paid business rates got help, for example. And everyone was entitled to use the furlough scheme, right? Furlough helped an awful lot to cushion the blow for my business.

Also as a business owner you always have the option to just pay yourself entirely through salary and then you pay income tax just like everyone else does. This just brings your tax rate closer into line with everyone else's.

I'd prefer it if corproration tax remained at 20% because it'd benefit me personally but if a tax needs to go up, corporation tax is one of the best candidates.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They will be further help beyond that but I expect it will be more targetted

Not sure where you're getting this info from? The current predictions are that the price cap will cost the government nothing this winter because wholesale prices have fallen far enough that household prices are never going to reach the cap.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â