The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

Have you heard Truss this morning? She has no clue. She cannot answer any questions sensibly. Has no recognition that what she has done has made things worse. An absolute nightmare. 

And is anybody surprised? She couldn't even get the majority of her own MP's to think that she would be any good

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think this "local consent" for fracking will work in much the same way as the Russian referendums in Ukrainian regions.

I don't think it's a real thing. They're not actually going to do it. It's just a bone for the lunatics in the Climate Research Group or whatever they're called on the extreme tory throbber right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't think it's a real thing. They're not actually going to do it. It's just a bone for the lunatics in the Climate Research Group or whatever they're called on the extreme tory throbber right.

I hope you're right, I fear it's exactly the kind of stupid move she'll pull out to appear to be taking action, regardless of the consequences.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

She didn't top the MP's poll even in the final round

I was thinking about this. Whilst true there were also enough of them voted to get her into the last 2. I hope they're thinking on that now and again when they're wondering about their next career move after the next general election. Plenty of them still brought this upon themselves. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I hope you're right, I fear it's exactly the kind of stupid move she'll pull out to appear to be taking action, regardless of the consequences.

I'm confident it won't happen. I live close to the Cuadrilla site. The local Tory MP (when it all started) was very on the fence - he knew it was massively opposed by Local and County councils, by constituents, but was Tory policy back then. Once the earthquakes started happening and getting more severe and way past the limits agreed to (2.5 as opposed to 0.5 limit - and it's an exponential scale), it stopped. The Cuadrilla former CEO says it wouldn't have succeeded anyway, the last Tory manifesto said they wouldn't re-start it and so now the MP got off the fence and said he's against it. Same applies elsewhere. Local MPs (tories or whoever) are all against it. The tories are way behind in the polls and these MPs don't want to be seen to be aiding and abetting a massively unpopular thing, and further harm their re-election chances. Truss isn't "one of them" - she's all in with the throbbers. They'll vote against if necessary. And we all know from science that a) it won't solve gas prices, it won't bear any fruit for years, it's polluting, it's damaging for the climate...etc. Further, the actual fracking companies are basically not looking like they want to re-start, or start again anyway.

So that's why I think it's just a token thing for the throbbers - to say to them "look, I've announced something you want". The relaity is there's far more support for windfarms and solar and stuff like that, than for polluting the water table, earthquakes, and far off profits for fracking speculators.

• Like 1

Talk of Tory Party VONCs is irrelevant even if they change the rules, the process still takes too long for this to be fixed.

What needs to happen is enough Tory MPs to defy the whip and vote the new not-a-budget measures down. Unfortunately, they'll kill their political careers in doing so. Not more than a handful at most have the guts to do that and any that did have probably already made their minds up to retire at the end of the current term

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was thinking about this. Whilst true there were also enough of them voted to get her into the last 2. I hope they're thinking on that now and again when they're wondering about their next career move after the next general election. Plenty of them still brought this upon themselves. 

It’s a very weird scenario, they don’t think about who is best for the job. They consider who they think will win, back them and then be in line for a nice job.

I can’t believe many of those who backed her thought she’d do a better job overall than Rishi Sunak. They just had a feeling she’d win and didn’t want to be on the wrong side when that happened.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

What needs to happen is enough Tory MPs to defy the whip and vote the new not-a-budget measures down

Given it wasn't a budget, is there actually going to be a vote on it?

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Given it wasn't a budget, is there actually going to be a vote on it?

It's a good point but the reports I've read and on the radio suggest that has to be the case but they could be totally wrong and the honest answer is, who knows. Truss and Kwarteng probably don't know either.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I can’t believe many of those who backed her thought she’d do a better job overall than Rishi Sunak. They just had a feeling she’d win and didn’t want to be on the wrong side when that happened.

Some did that, you're right, I'm sure. But a lot didn't, even when it was looking likely she would win - between the last 2 choice and the actual member voting end date. Not many got on the bandwagon, and I suspect they were just keeping their heads down and saying now't despite having severe reservations about her.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's a good point but the reports I've read and on the radio suggest that has to be the case but they could be totally wrong and the honest answer is, who knows. Truss and Kwarteng probably don't know either.

I believe that there will be a vote. Anything that changes the law on tax rates, spending, national debt etc has to be included in the annual Finance Bill, which is the legislation that enacts the measures in the budget. 

So just because this isn't called "the budget", it's measures still need primary legislation to put them into law. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

So just because this isn't called "the budget", it's measures still need primary legislation to put them into law. 

Presumably at the time of the actual budget, then? Which may end up cancelling some or all of these loony tunes?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â