The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Over £100 billion excess profits for the energy extractors.

Over £100 billion to be borrowed and paid back by us, to keep the lights on and keep those profits for energy companies intact.

Feels like an open goal for any competent opposition politician or curious journalist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Over £100 billion to be borrowed and paid back by us, to keep the lights on and keep those profits for energy companies intact.

Feels like an open goal for any competent opposition politician or curious journalist.

£170b excess profits was the figure quoted yesterday. It’s unreal they are staring the obvious solution in the face and going with the worst one.

The excuse about it discouraging investment is bullshit. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

He does a fantastic impression of a little kid wanting his go on the PlayStation though.  It is 12 years becasue Labour are not good enough,  sneaky enough or politically competent enough to get into power.  

Do we need him popping up telling us how long it is since Labour had a go ?  He is relying on pity more than anything now.  

It's not just really those reasons. It's more that the vote to the left of the Tories is split. The country doesn't vote Conservative we are a majority to the left of them, but our form of democracy keeps on spitting out Tory majorities despite this. It is literally harder for labour to get into power.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

£170b excess profits was the figure quoted yesterday. It’s unreal they are staring the obvious solution in the face and going with the worst one.

The excuse about it discouraging investment is bullshit. 

What investment are they even doing? I've been reading up a load about this and I've seen hardly any me tion of Shell or BP or Texaco in any of the investments in Wind or Solar. 

You should be reading about Shell opening up some massive wind farms or investing in heat pump manufacturing or the like. 

They are doing some but they're not major players. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

She employs the former Chief Executive of the TaxPayer's Alliance as financial advisor and then chooses to use public money to protect the profits of the energy companies. Who knew that group and the Tories were a bunch of hypocrites.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’s unreal they are staring the obvious solution in the face and going with the worst one

Remember this when it comes to the election after the next one

There are a number of indicators of what they are up to. I think Wes Streeting touched on it last week by saying that this Government has not made any plans to increase the number of doctors.

The reason they are doing it is possibly because they know they will lose the next election and are attempting to make it as hard as possible for Labour to be successful when they win the next election.

Yes, they are f***ing the country to assist the Tory Party to get back in in as short a time as possible

Labour needs to use that line now and as often as possible to get the message across.

Oh and also remember who Truss worked for when she left Uni. Her first four years in professional employment were at Shell. She joined Shell at just about the same time as she left the LibDems to become a Tory.

• Thanks 1

Can't see anything other than a bounce for Truss today - doesn't matter how it's done (for most voters) all that matters is that people will worry less this winter and she can take the credit for that. Easy win. Longer term obvs it will gnaw at the souls of her fellow tory goblins, but it's a win today. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can't see anything other than a bounce for Truss today - doesn't matter how it's done (for most voters) all that matters is that people will worry less this winter and she can take the credit for that. Easy win. Longer term obvs it will gnaw at the souls of her fellow tory goblins, but it's a win today. 

Yep, I was thinking this.  It's like Boris with the Vaccine.  People will ignore all the noise, concern about how it's to be paid for and over how long, and what happens next and just see Liz rescuing them from the financial hell hole they've been worried about for the last few months.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If she saddles the country with £100 Billion debt when she could use a windfall tax to do it in one hit, I think there'll be a backlash not a bounce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

What investment are they even doing? I've been reading up a load about this and I've seen hardly any me tion of Shell or BP or Texaco in any of the investments in Wind or Solar. 

You should be reading about Shell opening up some massive wind farms or investing in heat pump manufacturing or the like. 

Yeah, but, erm, they've  done an advert telling us how great they are at it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Remember this when it comes to the election after the next one

There are a number of indicators of what they are up to. I think Wes Streeting touched on it last week by saying that this Government has not made any plans to increase the number of doctors.

The reason they are doing it is possibly because they know they will lose the next election and are attempting to make it as hard as possible for Labour to be successful when they win the next election.

Yes, they are f***ing the country to assist the Tory Party to get back in in as short a time as possible

Labour needs to use that line now and as often as possible to get the message across.

Oh and also remember who Truss worked for when she left Uni. Her first four years in professional employment were at Shell. She joined Shell at just about the same time as she left the LibDems to become a Tory.

I’m waiting for Sunak to take up a very well paid consulting role at one of those big boys. Maybe Boris will be rewarded by them too. 

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

If she saddles the country with £100 Billion debt when she could use a windfall tax to do it in one hit, I think there'll be a backlash not a bounce

It depends on how the general voting public view it.  I suspect it will be like furlough or sending arms / money to Ukraine,  the public will just put it in a "Had to be done" box and they will forget it soon enough.

People will see the headlines only and not understand how it was achieved.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It depends on how the general voting public view it.  I suspect it will be like furlough or sending arms / money to Ukraine,  the public will just put it in a "Had to be done" box and they will forget it soon enough.

Exactly.

The reason you can’t get a GP appointment is because there’s no money left after the bills freeze.

The reason it’s a 2 year wait for a routine operation is because there’s no money left after the bills freeze.

The reason the school is falling apart is because there’s no money left after the bills freeze.

The reason there are less police patrolling is because there’s no money left after the bills freeze.

The media need to make it very clear the choice this government made and the repercussions.

Rather than tax the rich they are taxing us indirectly for about 20 years.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

This is where starmer gets on my nerves. Why doesn't he probe them on this?

Say to them if your refusing to tax the profits  on the the companies can you explain what they are actually investing now?

Has this been mentioned?

Solar farms are being refused planning permission in Great Britain at the highest rate in five years, analysis has found, with projects which would have cut £100m off annual electricity bills turned down in the past 18 months.

Planning permission for 23 solar farms was refused across England, Wales and Scotland between January 2021 and July 2022, which could have produced enough renewable energy to power an estimated 147,000 homes annually, according to analysis of government figures by the planning and development consultancy Turley.

The refusals have jumped significantly since the start of 2021 – the research found only four projects were refused planning permission during 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 combined.

Of the 27 declined solar farms between 2019 and 2022, 19 are in Conservative constituencies. Four were in Labour constituencies, three in Scottish National party constituencies, and one in a Liberal Democrat constituency.

There are fears such refusals could increase further as the Tory leadership contenders, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak, have made disparaging comments about solar farms.

Grauniad

42 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It's Labour's job to point out that a windfall tax would have done it in one fell swoop with no harm (relatively to the public purse) Starmer and other Labour politicians have been doing this for a number of weeks now.

They need to do it harder

• Like 3

Ah yes, the return of Fracking, that'll be popular.... not

The middle class Tories don't like fracking, which is why it was stopped in the first place.

Fracking is up there with Wind Farms for the shit they don't like

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah yes, the return of Fracking, that'll be popular.... not

The middle class Tories don't like fracking, which is why it was stopped in the first place.

Fracking is up there with Wind Farms for the shit they don't like

Starmer is now quoting the chancellor who said it would take over a decade to get shale gas and it wouldn’t lower the price.

Also a quote from him that increasing north sea gas output would have no impact on global prices.

Edited by Genie

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â