The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

13 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Why is a bail out of energy companies necessary? They are in profit? 

Surely cap the price to operating costs/inflation profit increase?

Something I’m missing? 

From a Tory perspective I understand they wouldn’t want to stop their mates making massive profits at the expensive of the average Jo, so would bail out and then make them pay anyway via budget cuts on services. Seen that many times before. 

As I understand it there’s 2 parts to energy supply.

1) The likes of Shell and BP who are getting the oil and gas out from the ground and under the sea. The price they sell that oil and gas isn’t decided by them. It’s decided by the global wholesale price which relates to lots of factors including supply and demand. Currently because demand is very high (covid rebound) and supply is low (Russia being Russia) the calculation says the wholesale price is massive. They are winning but it’s a worldwide pricing structure which our government cannot influence.

2) The energy suppliers like British Gas, EDF, Octopus, Scottish Power. They have to buy the oil and gas at wholesale price and then charge profit and other stuff (tax, green levies etc) on top. They are not making a particularly large amount of money at the moment.

If the government cap says the consumer is only going to pay equivalent to half the wholesale price then the suppliers will be buying it at much more than they can sell it so will quickly run into issues and need help, because we can’t let them go under for obvious reasons.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She managed to refrain from being too divisive in her speech. My plan for Liz Truss.

1.) Bail out the british public with massive government support for energy bills (at source the public shouldnt need to fill out forms)
2.) Maintain or Increase military support for Ukraine, begin the economic ties with post war Ukraine now. Ukraine and Europe will have a post war boom, the UK can be a leader and beneficiary of it.
3.) Surrender whatever the Brexit N.Ireland nonsense is. You signed the deal, the EU is in the right. Just do it.
4.) Invest in the NHS as you promised.

Do all 4 and she can declare victory then coast for 2 years.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

As I understand it there’s 2 parts to energy supply.

1) The likes of Shell and BP who are getting the oil and gas out from the ground and under the sea. The price they sell that oil and gas isn’t decided by them. It’s decided by the global wholesale price which relates to lots of factors including supply and demand. Currently because demand is very high (covid rebound) and supply is low (Russia being Russia) the calculation says the wholesale price is massive. They are winning but it’s a worldwide pricing structure which our government cannot influence.

2) The energy suppliers like British Gas, EDF, Octopus, Scottish Power. They have to buy the oil and gas at wholesale price and then charge profit and other stuff (tax, green levies etc) on top. They are not making a particularly large amount of money at the moment.

If the government cap says the consumer is only going to pay equivalent to half the wholesale price then the suppliers will be buying it at much more than they can sell it so will quickly run into issues and need help, because we can’t let them go under for obvious reasons.

But I feel like neither are true, forecasted profits are expected to be in the billions in the next couple of years.

I used to work for an energy company so completely understand active tariffs are actually contracts agreed on purchase of energy months/years advanced. Therefore future tariffs should be effected which they are showing to be, even into the ridiculous realms they are.

Other countries have capped and if whole sale costs/transport/insurance were the problem then increase of consumer prices wouldn’t result in profit they would just cover the extra costs.

Edit to keep on topic: It is 100% a political decision as to what is happening. A bailout is one solution but surely not the best choice. 

Edited by Nicho
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Assuming you're not on the wind-up, no they aren't. 

Labour very probably would be shit - but they'd be shit in a different way. The lesser of two evils, by some distance. 

As @Mark Albrightonrealised, I did actually mean Tories were all the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She’s weird. She’s a bit mental. She’s intelligent*. She’s a one-time troll. I’m glad she’s anti-Putin, but like Johnson, she’s 100% a set of cynical gestures compiled for stupid people who want simple solutions for complex problems. Britain can do better. I feel sorry for poorer working Britons and people on fixed incomes who will suffer under Conservatives. 

• Like 1

WTF is he waffling on about? His rocket story is as absurd as his claim he’s made neighbourhoods safer? Haven’t there been more stabbing a in the last few years than ever?

And don’t forget GIGABIT BROADBAND!

Feed your children with gigabit broadband! 

Just now, bickster said:

Because he's got to get to Scotland to resign before Truss goes to be given the job

He should have pre-recorded it like he often did when he was caught out for doing doing something wrong :lol: 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

She was rumoured to be staying put, perhaps she's off to the Priory

I thought it was pretty much nailed on that she's off to the Lords?

I'd then wonder whether a by-election for a seat with a 26,000 majority might be an attractive proposition for an unpopular out-going Prime Minister who would almost certainly lose his seat in the next election.

And whether a fawning sycophant might be persuaded to step aside if enough trinkets were dangled in front of her.

Apparently she is a very hard worker which means the mistakes that she will make could be even worse. And obviously literally no principles just say whatever is necessary to get to the top.  It is very strange the Thatcher cosplay as she would have been barely a teenager when she resigned. It is just a image to project to further her career. Which has worked welll so far.

Edited by The Fun Factory

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â