The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 minutes ago, limpid said:

It can't be a theory is it's unsubstantiated. A theory is the pinnacle of science.

In this list, you mean "1) Wild assertion". 

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that the thing that's measurably happening now, right outside your window, that we as climate scientists told you was going to happen 20, 30, 40 years ago, is a wild assertion? The thing that every peer reviewed climate scientist in the world is screaming for action over, is a wild assertion? That has been borne out in climate modelling undertaken on literally billions of iterations of some of the most complex and advanced computer models invented by humans is a wild assertion?

Or do you think that we just sit in an office and play minecraft all day and spunk out a report at 4pm on a Friday? 

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that the thing that's measurably happening now, right outside your window, that we as climate scientists told you was going to happen 20, 30, 40 years ago, is a wild assertion? The thing that every peer reviewed climate scientist in the world is screaming for action over, is a wild assertion? That has been borne out in climate modelling undertaken on literally billions of iterations of some of the most complex and advanced computer models invented by humans is a wild assertion?

Or do you think that we just sit in an office and play minecraft all day and spunk out a report at 4pm on a Friday? 

No, I was correcting Dave's use of the word "theory".

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Imagine, with everything going on in the country at the moment; the covid fallout, the economic downturn, the cost of living crisis, the energy crisis, inflation, the lack of trust in the government, Brexit fallout, the climate emergency etc; and you get one chance to ask something of the potential future leader of the country, and the one thing you feel empowered to ask is whether they could abolish the speed limit :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Imagine, with everything going on in the country at the moment; the covid fallout, the economic downturn, the cost of living crisis, the energy crisis, inflation, the lack of trust in the government, Brexit fallout, the climate emergency etc; and you get one chance to ask something of the potential future leader of the country, and the one thing you feel empowered to ask is whether they could abolish the speed limit :D 

Trolling, I suspect. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It reminds me a bit of PMQ’s when there is a HUGE topic being debated and one of the MP’s uses their moment to ask about funding for a new library sign in their constituency.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It reminds me a bit of PMQ’s when there is a HUGE topic being debated and one of the MP’s uses their moment to ask about funding for a new library sign in their constituency.

Yeah, I understand why they do it, but it is a bit jarring. 

Edited by HKP90
Typo

Just now, Genie said:

It breaks the flow of the debate and discussion, which is probably deliberate.

I'm not sure I believe that, although it's possible. I think it's just a function of how out system of representation works. The order of MP q's is predetermined, but each MP (aside from the senior cabinet) is asking questions put to them by constituents. 

Beryl from Doncaster doesn't care about Ukraine, she really just wants to use her local Post Office to send Xmas cards.

29 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'm not sure I believe that, although it's possible. I think it's just a function of how out system of representation works. The order of MP q's is predetermined, but each MP (aside from the senior cabinet) is asking questions put to them by constituents. 

Beryl from Doncaster doesn't care about Ukraine, she really just wants to use her local Post Office to send Xmas cards.

They're not, they're asking whatever they want. Some might use the "my constituent has asked me to ask..." framing, but that's up to them. 

The main reason you get the "would the Prime Minster like to join me in congratulating the Little Dribbling under-12s for their fundraising efforts for the new hospital?" type questions is election material. When they get the "what have you done to make me vote for you?" questions on the doorstep, they can say "here is me, discussing our important local issues with none other than the Prime Minister him/herself!!!"

To your average low-interest voter, that can look impressive. 

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They're not, they're asking whatever they want. Some might use the "my constituent has asked me to ask..." framing, but that's up to them. 

The main reason you get the "would the Prime Minster like to join me in congratulating the Little Dribbling under-12s for their fundraising efforts for the new hospital?" type questions is election material. When they get the "what have you done to make me vote for you?" questions on the doorstep, they can say "here is me, discussing our important local issues with none other than the Prime Minister him/herself!!!"

To your average low-interest voter, that can look impressive. 

Fair point, but I don't find it that impressive given the crumbling of civilization around us. I don't think that's what most people are worried about, personally. 

Also, Beryl (sorry to pick on Beryls) is more likely to vote for said MP if her opinion is being voiced. I think one thing this election campaign showed us is that MPs are out for themselves, and their own re-election, at whatever level. 

Edited by HKP90

Just now, HKP90 said:

Fair point, but I don't find it that impressive given the crumbling of civilization around us. I don't think that's what most people are worried about, personally. 

Sure, but that hasn't been the case for all of the last sixty years while MPs have been asking questions of the Prime Minister. It wouldn't surprise me if next session a lot of the more frivolous stuff stops - but with more than half the MPs in the chamber being on the PM's side (allegedly) every question about a new library sign is a question that  isn't "you're really shit, aren't you Prime Minister?".

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Sure, but that hasn't been the case for all of the last sixty years while MPs have been asking questions of the Prime Minister. It wouldn't surprise me if next session a lot of the more frivolous stuff stops - but with more than half the MPs in the chamber being on the PM's side (allegedly) every question about a new library sign is a question that  isn't "you're really shit, aren't you Prime Minister?".

Yeah but the more they move away from that public sentiment, the more they are going to be surprised when the electorate votes their sorry asses into the next world. 

They are so out of touch with public opinion, it's unreal. 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

That is legitimate though, it's PMQs so there isn't a set topic and the MP is literally doing what he's elected to do, representing his constituents

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

That is legitimate though, it's PMQs so there isn't a set topic and the MP is literally doing what he's elected to do, representing his constituents

Yeah I get that. It’s just annoying when for example all other MP’s are wading in on Boris for breaking the law, the chancellor for pissing away billions or anything related to the Brexit shit show… and someone says that the speed bumps on their high street are too high.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah I get that. It’s just annoying when for example all other MP’s are wading in on Boris for breaking the law, the chancellor for pissing away billions or anything related to the Brexit shit show… and someone says that the speed bumps on their high street are too high.

Why would MPs that are on the side of the Government ask questions that are difficult for the Government?

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Why would MPs that are on the side of the Government ask questions that are difficult for the Government?

Sometimes they do, and they earn the respect of their constituents.

They could also use the opportunity to say something that is in support of their parties leadership. It’s just something that annoys me when they entirely change the topic which of course they are free to do.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â