The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

36 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Far from perfect but 1997-2007 was certainly the most prosperous time for this country in living memory.

The funny money definitely did flow and I can remember John Prescott boasting about how many new cars were on the roads.

That sounded like good news back then.

13 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I’d say the 2019 GE was more damaging for this country than the 2016 Referendum.

Possibly but eventually, hopefully, the Tories will lose an election.

I can never see us ever getting back into the EU which will make us, the entire and future population of this country, poorer, and with less freedom  of movement.

Like what the experts said strangely.

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can never see us ever getting back into the EU

I think this will happen a lot sooner than many are predicting

The timescale is probably a decade but its almost inevitable that it will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

The timescale is probably a decade but its almost inevitable that it will happen.

Really, what makes you think that. The Tories will never, ever do this and Labour will be sh*t scared of looking like  a bunch of lefty remoaners in the case they lose the red wall again.

Plus I don't think the EU will be that delighted for Britain to treat membership like a time share argeement.

Single market, possibly but can't see full fat membership again. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I hope so.

Its an easier sell than remain was.

Plus with 1,300 people crossing the channel in a day whilst we have control of our borders it could be argued we get more assistance from Europe as EU members.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Really, what makes you think that. The Tories will never, ever do this and Labour will be sh*t scared of looking like  a bunch of lefty remoaners in the case they lose the red wall again.

Plus I don't think the EU will be that delighted for Britain to treat membership like a time share argeement.

Firstly, I seriously doubt at this stage the Tories will be in power at the next General Election

Secondly, Labour's position WILL change, it will have to or they'll end up going in the same direction as the Tories (the dustbin)

The polls are already in favour of rejoining, much more than they ever were of remaining.

The demographics of the country mean this trend will continue, it will become the obvious choice as the economic situation worsens and any party not on board with that idea will be unsuccessful at the ballot box.

I really think it is that simple. We then have to convince the EU that this country has changed it's outlook

I would hazard one prediction at least, and that would be that the people who were demanding even more severe lockdowns, and greater spending, than that which created the debt and the consequent inflation, will need someone to blame.

What the electorate will need to see them through these times ahead, is a sin-eater.

I think both Tory candidates are perfectly suited for the role.

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think this really depends. What we've seen pretty much around the world is barriers going up and protectionism and thats really really dangerous as it harks back to an era where the great powers of the world were in really unhealthy competition and didn't talk to each other.

As things start to get much worse economically it's almost irresistable for policiticians to offer hyper-simplistic causes, point at others, foreigners, Muslims, immigrants, Russians etc, and blame them for everything wrong with our country. In a culture like that it's a difficult sell to convince people that we need to come together with countries that share similar values to us, even though they speak another language, perhaps they look a little different or they have a slightly different way of doing things.

The truth is we've been receding as a world power for a century and that as other countries of the world industrialise and their standards of living improve to match our own so to does their buying power and unfortunately there's only so much food, water, power, 'stuff' to go around. Ultimately, this is the first generation that'll have less of pretty much everything than the previous one.

One candidate is clearly an intelligent guy but maybe not completely honest at times. He seems to be having a longer term approach to tackling the economic challenges we face. Short term pain for longer term prosperity.

The second candidate appears to be completely thick. She’s aggressive and thinks that “talking tough” is the way to get things done. She switched sides in the biggest referendum in a generation because she wanted a nice job. She doesn’t understand economics and is more interested in saying things that get her through the day even if it will cause medium and long term chaos.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

What we've seen pretty much around the world is barriers going up and protectionism

That isn't strictly accurate, what you're actually seeing is more Free Trade Deals, the world is dividing into Trading Blocs. Eventually those Blocs will have to start doing deals with each other.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Firstly, I seriously doubt at this stage the Tories will be in power at the next General Election

Secondly, Labour's position WILL change, it will have to or they'll end up going in the same direction as the Tories (the dustbin)

The polls are already in favour of rejoining, much more than they ever were of remaining.

The demographics of the country mean this trend will continue, it will become the obvious choice as the economic situation worsens and any party not on board with that idea will be unsuccessful at the ballot box.

I really think it is that simple. We then have to convince the EU that this country has changed it's outlook

The EU will welcome the UK back with open arms, tail between legs of course.

Its a great advert for any other country considering leaving the EU.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The EU will welcome the UK back with open arms, tail between legs of course.

Its a great advert for any other country considering leaving the EU.

I think that is mostly true but there will be conditions

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Like i doubt we'd get the special financial rebate we used to get.

Oh for sure, we also wouldn't get the veto we used to have. We'd also very likely have to agree to join the Euro and that's the one that will trigger the usual suspects,

Just now, bickster said:

Oh for sure, we also wouldn't get the veto we used to have. We'd also very likely have to agree to join the Euro and that's the one that will trigger the usual suspects,

oh i can't wait for 90 year old Nigel Farage to be wheeled out back into the media 🙄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Labour will do it IMO. Maybe not “full fat” as you say, but much of the EU integration is just standard harmonisation that regimes of all stripes do with geographical neighbours to facilitate trade and economic growth.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

oh i can't wait for 90 year old Nigel Farage to be wheeled out back into the media 🙄

As long as the press conference is on the edge of a cliff, and his wheelchair has no brakes, I'm all for it. 

White cliffs of Dover would be on brand. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â