The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Very interesting observation. 

I’ve no idea what it means about the Tory party.

It means that their ethnic minority and female politicians don’t have their careers destroyed early doors by the tabloid press branding them as woke, out of touch, anti-British morons.

Contrast the treatment Badenoch, Sunak, Javid, Truss, Mordaunt, etc get with Lammy, Khan, Abbott, Creasy, etc. Not saying I’m a huge fan of all of the latter, but they’ve been vilified relentlessly.

And to his credit, a lot of this is down to David Cameron’s move to shortlist loads of female and BME candidates in 2010 and 2015.

Sunak, Truss, Mordaunt, Javid and Zahawi all first entered Parliament while Cameron was leader. Badenoch won her seat in 2017.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Very interesting observation. 

I’ve no idea what it means about the Tory party.

All the none white ones are incredibly wealthy and connected

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I’m not sure that’s true of Badenoch? Sunak, Javid and Zahawi yes.

Had a quick look as I’d never heard of her until a week ago, but RBS, Coutts, director at The Spectator on her CV as well as her husband being very high up at Deutsche bank.

Actually pretty amazing to read her history - she completed an MEng, had a software engineering career while studying and completing a bachelor of law degree, worked as a systems analyst, had a 7 year consultancy and finance career all while persuing politics. It’s as impressive as it is absolutely baffling how you find the time and motivation to do all that by your mid 30s.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Had a quick look as I’d never heard of her until a week ago, but RBS, Coutts, director at The Spectator on her CV as well as her husband being very high up at Deutsche bank

She was a business analyst at RBS and a VP in wealth management for a few years at Coutts. Those roles are well paid but they don’t make you “incredibly” wealthy, and nor does being head of digital at a magazine. Fair enough re her husband, though, I didn’t realise he was a big dog at Deutsche.

She’s no doubt very comfortably off and lives in a nice house, but I’d imagine her net worth is less than a few Labour MPs (including Keir Starmer).

I guess it depends what you mean by incredibly wealthy, so fair point, she’s top 1%, but she got there via state school and University of Sussex. Bit different from Sunak, who went to a top public school and Oxford and exists completely outside the realm of imaginable wealth for all but a handful of people.

Just now, KentVillan said:

She was a business analyst at RBS and a VP in wealth management for a few years at Coutts. Those roles are well paid but they don’t make you “incredibly” wealthy, and nor does being head of digital at a magazine. Fair enough re her husband, though, I didn’t realise he was a big dog at Deutsche.

She’s no doubt very comfortably off and lives in a nice house, but I’d imagine her net worth is less than a few Labour MPs (including Keir Starmer).

I guess it depends what you mean by incredibly wealthy, so fair point, she’s top 1%, but she got there via state school and University of Sussex. Bit different from Sunak, who went to a top public school and Oxford and exists completely outside the realm of imaginable wealth for all but a handful of people.

100%, my original quip was more to do with why they’re conservatives and what conservatives admire than diminishing them, I’m on paper quite impressed by Badenoch. No idea what her views are though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

Badenoch. No idea what her views are though

Put it like this, she's the most right wing canidate left, she was the most right wing candidate before Javid and Braverman got knocked out

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Things you absolutely love to see

Kate Hoey managed to hide in the Labour party for as long as she did. It's pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Shows no one has a command of the party. 3 rounds in Sunak only has about a third of the party who wants him as a prime minister. He should be walking it.  Whoever wins will have trouble managing the back benchers as they have already got rid of 2 PM's in the last 6 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a m ole said:

Had a quick look as I’d never heard of her until a week ago, but RBS, Coutts, director at The Spectator on her CV as well as her husband being very high up at Deutsche bank.

Actually pretty amazing to read her history - she completed an MEng, had a software engineering career while studying and completing a bachelor of law degree, worked as a systems analyst, had a 7 year consultancy and finance career all while persuing politics. It’s as impressive as it is absolutely baffling how you find the time and motivation to do all that by your mid 30s.

Substantial amounts of cocaine. Why else would Gove be backing her?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mozzavfc said:

Substantial amounts of cocaine. Why else would Gove be backing her?

She’s been Gove’s protege for some time. She proposed him in the last leadership election

Keep on tearing that party apart...

Edit - would be great to see Truss finish ahead of Mordaunt by one vote, and Ellwood not being able to vote for Mordaunt being the decisive one.
Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Keep on tearing that party apart...

So in this case, he was in Moldova, they ordered him back, and he didn't. It's not clear why he was there, may have just been a holiday.

This is having actual consequences on government business and our reputation abroad though. Alok Sharma isn't turning up to Berlin for the Petersberg Climate Dialogue, because he's been told he has to stay and vote in the tory infighting contest. Despite him still being the active president from COP26, we have no ministerial representation there.

Since their 80 seat majority how many MPs are they down now?

As a quick calculation I make it, 3 seats lost in by elections and one gained.  2 whips removed and 1 crossing of the floor.

They'll probably spaff their majority before the next GE at this rate.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So in this case, he was in Moldova, they ordered him back, and he didn't. It's not clear why he was there, may have just been a holiday.

Oh, it's actually in that Twitter thread.

"Sorry Mr President of Moldova, I know we're meant to be meeting, but I've got to stay home to save my boy Bozza for another day"

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Oh, it's actually in that Twitter thread.

"Sorry Mr President of Moldova, I know we're meant to be meeting, but I've got to stay home to save my boy Bozza for another day"

I do like how they seem to think "we even made someone turn up and vote in this pointless exercise just after their mother died" is something to say to make them look better. 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â