The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Isn't it about 72 hours since you were finding yourself impressed by the fewer-brain-cells- than-a-cuttlefish Liz Truss?

Whatever. It's interesting to me that you see recognising someone's intelligence as somehow incompatible with a sharp political critique. Merton College needs to screen their cuttlefish better, I guess.

• Haha 1

Norman Lamont was doing the rounds yesterday pushing that Sunak was the only candidate that understood the situation we are in and what needed to be done.

When asked what needed to be done to combat inflation, he said one of the main things had to be labour reforms. That we have to stop people chasing inflation by asking for pay rises at just the wrong time.

I wonder when, in the last 12 years, or the next 2 years, Norman Lamont thinks would be a good time for the poor not to get poorer?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder when, in the last 12 years, or the next 2 years, Norman Lamont thinks would be a good time for the poor not to get poorer?

I guess MP’s will be refusing a pay rise when the independent panel suggest it is justified.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Fascist Kemi surging into pole position by the looks of things. Jolly good.

Doubt it, she won't get presented to the Tory Plebs as a choice.

I really don't think these tv hustings are going to change the minds of many if any actual MPs

If anyone loses votes as a result of them it's most likely to be Mordor but I doubt she'll lose much

I think the most likely matchup is Truss vs Sunak but a lot depends on Tugendhats votes, logically they will go to Mordor but suspect some may actually go to Truss, they are highly unlikely to go to Badenoch which will be her getting knocked out in the following vote and her votes will most likely go to Truss

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Doubt it, she won't get presented to the Tory Plebs as a choice.

I really don't think these tv hustings are going to change the minds of many if any actual MPs

If anyone loses votes as a result of them it's most likely to be Mordor but I doubt she'll lose much

I think the most likely matchup is Truss vs Sunak but a lot depends on Tugendhats votes, logically they will go to Mordor but suspect some may actually go to Truss, they are highly unlikely to go to Badenoch which will be her getting knocked out in the following vote and her votes will most likely go to Truss

I dunno. I mean (having not watched and won’t be watching any of it) Truss apparently bombing in the first one and perhaps the next ones may mean she doesn’t pick up enough votes to make it through if one of other two women perform better? They might pick up more votes from whoever is knocked out maybe. To my eyes Truss and Kemi are the throbbiest throbbers so maybe all the Brexity votes will go to Kemi and the less veiny votes to Mordaunt or Sunak, even though they’re Brexity too they don’t seem quite as unhinged

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno. I mean (having not watched and won’t be watching any of it) Truss apparently bombing in the first one and perhaps the next ones may mean she doesn’t pick up enough votes to make it through if one of other two women perform better? They might pick up more votes from whoever is knocked out maybe. To my eyes Truss and Kemi are the throbbiest throbbers so maybe all the Brexity votes will go to Kemi and the less veiny votes to Mordaunt or Sunak, even though they’re Brexity too they don’t seem quite as unhinged

Nah, these debates or hustings or whatever they are mean close to zero, the Tory Plebs will get the choice they are given and thats that

WordremovedHome.com has Truss currently in second place with the membership (Badenoch first) which is actually upward movement because they have seemingly dumped Mordor like a hot brick (she was clearly top by a long way before the first debate).

You can get 5/1 on Truss right now, I'm actually tempted. The bookies seem a little out of touch on this one, they still have Sunak favourite with Mordaunt second. Could be a nice little earner

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

You can get 5/1 on Truss right now, I'm actually tempted. The bookies seem a little out of touch on this one, they still have Sunak favourite with Mordaunt second. Could be a nice little earner

I don't think it's that they are out of touch, just that it's (almost certainly) Sunak vs one other and they don't know which.

If you have West Ham vs the winner of Man City and Arsenal in the FA Cup, West Ham will have the shortest odds until the winner of the second game is known. 

Edited by ml1dch

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, these debates or hustings or whatever they are mean close to zero, the Tory Plebs will get the choice they are given and thats that

The plebs will get the choice they are given, sure. I think I’m wondering about who the MPs choose to give them, because there’s surely a few factors at play. Not least of which is to be on the side of the eventual winner, to get job opportunities and stuff like pops roles or whatever.  There’s also the tribal thing of “which candidate will help me get re-elected” in their seat. Then there’s how Brexity is the candidate?

So if MPs see Truss, say, do badly in the TV things, they may decide she is a liability, or if one of them looks prime ministerial that may sway some MPs to move to them. Then there’s the shenanigans of lending votes to other candidates to get them into the final 2 because you think your candidate can beat them, or alternatively lending your vote to one of the others, because you think only they can stop one you really don’t want to win.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

The plebs will get the choice they are given, sure. I think I’m wondering about who the MPs choose to give them, because there’s surely a few factors at play. Not least of which is to be on the side of the eventual winner, to get job opportunities and stuff like pops roles or whatever.  There’s also the tribal thing of “which candidate will help me get re-elected” in their seat. Then there’s how Brexity is the candidate?

So if MPs see Truss, say, do badly in the TV things, they may decide she is a liability, or if one of them looks prime ministerial that may sway some MPs to move to them. Then there’s the shenanigans of lending votes to other candidates to get them into the final 2 because you think your candidate can beat them, or alternatively lending your vote to one of the others, because you think only they can stop one you really don’t want to win.

All of that is completely true, but it was also true when they made their original punts. 

I expect a few votes will change around, but it's not as if all those MPs who originally backed Truss have watched a decade of  oratorial flair and incisive policy judgement from her, which was suddenly turned on its head on Friday. 

Babadook will get a few more votes, Tugendhat will pick up a few more votes. And will still finish fourth and fifth respectively. 

• Like 1

Why they having so many tv debates ffs. Its not an election.

Im hoping tug can keep up his momentum. He seems the most non tory out of them all based on what i saw the other night. Lets see how he does tonight. Is he a one trick pony?

Whatever happens truss should be removed  next. Absolutely hopeless she would be

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im hoping tug can keep up his momentum. He seems the most non tory out of them all based on what i saw the other night. Lets see how he does tonight. Is he a one trick pony?

It makes absolutely no difference.  As you rightly say, it's not an election that people who are new to these MPs have any say in. 

There isn't a single Tory MP who doesn't know who Tom Tugendhat is and what he stands for. He's doing the same stuff he does at every Foreign Affairs Select Committee session, and they don't want him to be in charge. 

Irrespective of the number of rounds of applause a Channel 4 audience gives him. 

• Like 1

Case in point. "Exclusive to all papers - Liz Truss bombs in first debate and all normal people think she's an embarrassing shambles"

Tories:

Edited by ml1dch

Just think how absolutely stupid this process is

I can't think of any other election that is held this way and remember it's only an election to be a candidate in an election

They could easily have got the nominations phase out of the way. Right you lot have reached the threshold. Hold one round of hustings (somewhere in Westminster) and Single Transferable Vote to whittle it down to the final two. Put the final two down to the membership with one round of Hustings on say Russia Today for the membership to watch where the people who really support the MPs are coming from and thats it

Just remember, this is the way they want it but no-one else is allowed this luxury of perpetually whittling down the candidates one at a time and the dirty tricks and getting people to vote for different candidates is what they actually want. So Mordor complaining about the smears and the dirty tricks, should have raised those concerns with the 1922 committee at the start or before this processs began. It's what they and she wanted.

• Like 1

Well done Tory voters. We live in a country where it’s now a positive thing to say you don’t agree with trans people getting certain rights. *slow clap*. 

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Well done Tory voters. We live in a country where it’s now a positive thing to say you don’t agree with trans people getting certain rights. *slow clap*. 

This isn't even aimed at Tory Voters, this is Tory Members who are such a very thin slice of the electorate they don't represent anything

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â