The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Interesting that labour will push for a no confidence vote. I've  wondered why - because Johnson would surely win such a vote

2 reasons I guess. All the Tories who vote against a no confidence motion  - At the next election, Labour will be able to say of them "he/she voted confidence in Johnson ,even after all the parties, sex scandals, lies and so on led to him having to go".

Secondly, they know that quite a few Tories want him out now, and they (Labour) may therefore have a chance of actually winning the vote (though unlikely) and getting an election*

it says "election", Kenny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, but will he fall into the same zone as Keir Starmer. “I will pretty leave things as they are today” to avoid upsetting anybody?

Or does he have a backbone and confirm he’d look at getting the UK into some mutually beneficial trading pact with Europe?

Amazing that for many thats totally off the agenda - feckin grim ! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

At some point Ben Wallace is going to have to say what he’ll do about Brexit in his leadership campaign, which might render him “unsuitable”.

Why? We're out of the EU.  All he needs to say is he's not going to take us back in.  Tick. 

Tom Tugendhat voted against Brexit.  

Either way we'll probably see more give and take with The EU. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Why? We're out of the EU.  All he needs to say is he's not going to take us back in.  Tick. 

Tom Tugendhat voted against Brexit.  

Either way we'll probably see more give and take with The EU. 

Yes, if he’s sensible he won’t rule too much out apart from rejoining the EU as that’s a death sentence.

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

Interesting that labour will push for a no confidence vote. I've  wondered why - because Johnson would surely win such a vote  - but then if he wins such a vote with almost 100% support - wouldn't someone be tempted to launch a keep Boris campaign ? 

"your getting rid of a bloke with a stonking election victory and 2 confidence votes victories to his name - what are we doing ?" 

Because it forces the Tories to vote FOR Johnson even though the whole world knows they are against him

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, if he’s sensible he won’t rule too much out apart from rejoining the EU as that’s a death sentence.

I suspect most of the hard line Brexiteers were close to BJ so if they're looking for a complete break it's inevitably going to be someone more moderate. 

Plus as per discussion in the Brexit thread, even some fairly hard line Brexiteers, and definitely moderates have surely had their eyes opened to what hard Brexit actually means. I don't think there will be the same kind of hard line demands like there were when May was negotiating on it. 

Sure the the real hardliners will object but they're hopefully getting more marginalised now. I don't think talking a softer line on Europe would be political suicide like it would have been in 2019. Especially without BJ and his cronies bullying people's views. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I suspect most of the hard line Brexiteers were close to BJ so if they're looking for a complete break it's inevitably going to be someone more moderate. 

Plus as per discussion in the Brexit thread, even some fairly hard line Brexiteers, and definitely moderates have surely had their eyes opened to what hard Brexit actually means. I don't think there will be the same kind of hard line demands like there were when May was negotiating on it. 

Sure the hardliners will object but they're hopefully getting more marginalised now. I don't think talking a softer line on Europe would be political suicide like it would have been in 2019. Especially without BJ and his cronies bullying people's views. 

The Tory Party is full of hardline throbbers these days, they aren't particularly a marginal group

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sure the the real hardliners will object but they're hopefully getting more marginalised now. I don't think talking a softer line on Europe would be political suicide like it would have been in 2019. Especially without BJ and his cronies bullying people's views. 

I don’t think they are looking for a complete break, I think a portion of the party got to the point where they achieved self awareness and thought perhaps all the lies had just got to a point where it was impacting their chance of re election.

Remeber, many of the ‘remainer’ types were booted out of the party. Many of the new intake got in on a ticket of getting brexit done. It’s still their mandate and defining feature. They aren’t going to change their sales pitch to the good people of Stoke and Bolton from ‘get Brexit done’, to ‘preserve the property rights and tax advantages of the ruling classes’. 

Steve Baker MP has as much chance as anyone else of becoming the next leader. He’s the genuine brexit article, not the chancer Johnson. He won’t be so easily caught out with his fingers perpetually in someone’ else’s cookie jar. 

Obviously by cookie jar, I mean either till, or knickers.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â