The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

All the PPS's resigning isn't about getting tainted by association with Johnson because they are too low for that.

They are resigning so they can put letters in to the 1922 and vote in any new committee / rule changes

Do they have to resign to put a letter of no confidence in ? - I wasn't aware of that .

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I would argue that they don't care about that. He's going, and the under-secretary for paperclip procurement isn't going to be the thing that makes it happen.

It's because now that it's definitely happening, they want to be able to say on the doorstep in two years "I completely agree with you and that's why I resigned on principle".

Nothing more than that.

You're right about that reason but I think it’s both

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I did originally type “Edward Argar” but I felt like that might open the door to a few Elgar gags being quoted back at me.

Edward Argar is a bit of an enigma though

• Like 3

The junior ministers know which way the wind is blowing and know that tying their career prospects to the good ship Johnson is suicidal. There's very little reason for them to stay loyal.

Remember when the letters on the wall behind Theresa May fell down during her speech and that comedian gave her a pretend P45 and everyone wondered if she could survive it? 

Simpler times 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

1922 is backbenchers only

The point you were making were that PPS were resigning so they could submit a letter of no confidence.

My understanding was they could submit such a letter without resigning.?

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The junior ministers know which way the wind is blowing and know that tying their career prospects to the good ship Johnson is suicidal. There's very little reason for them to stay loyal.

I'm getting disheartened now .

Unless there is a method to remove him I don't know about - I can't see him going. 

It's all very well the 1922 boys - changing the rules next week or in a couple of weeks - but things will have changed by then.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

The point you were making were that PPS were resigning so they could submit a letter of no confidence.

My understanding was they could submit such a letter without resigning.?

They can write what they want, to whomever they want.

But you can't really serve in a government and carry out policy led by someone you don't think should be leading the government and dictating that policy can you?

(In terms of precedent, anyway. That bunch of dicks from earlier telling him he should resign and now wondering what do next have possibly damaged that constitutional norm)

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

They can write what they want, to whomever they want.

But you can't really serve in a government and carry out policy led by someone you don't think should be leading the government and dictating that policy can you?

(In terms of precedent, anyway. That bunch of dicks from earlier telling him he should resign and now wondering what do next have possibly damaged that constitutional norm)

Well a few weeks ago over 50 MPs submitted no confidence votes. None of them resigned.

Just now, hippo said:

Well a few weeks ago over 50 MPs submitted no confidence votes. None of them resigned.

I think 2 did. And the others weren’t/aren’t in government 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

It's very important to understand what 'resigning' means. None of them are giving up their MP roles. They're simply returning to the backbenches, and refusing to take on extra responsibility on the government payroll as one of Johnson's ministers.

It's not expected for backbenchers to agree with everything unless there are specific whips in place on issues. There is a sense of collective accountability for cabinet ministers, and more generally, a sense that if you don't believe in the PM or the government, you shouldn't continue to take on those extra responsibilities representing the government.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

None of them had anything that they needed to resign from.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â