The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Has anyone ever done the stats to see if there are a higher than societal average number of sex pests in politics?

Depends where the line is drawn, MP's, local council, activists, party members. If it's MPs, I think we only scratch the surface, how many have the story buried, or complaint ignored. Seems like there should be some kind of rule for them. 

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Has anyone ever done the stats to see if there are a higher than societal average number of sex pests in politics?

It could be another thing Boris could announce the UK is leading the world in, but this time it’s actually true. 

• Haha 1

So hard to understand why the Tory party now feel that sexual assault is something that should just be tolerated:

SCOOP — PM under pressure: Playbook can reveal this morning that Johnson was made aware of allegations of inappropriate behavior by Chris Pincher before the last reshuffle, at the time when Pincher was in the frame as a potential chief whip.

More detail: Three sources, including one Tory MP who personally raised the issue, told Playbook that the PM was made aware of complaints about Pincher’s conduct but appointed him deputy chief whip in February anyway. No. 10 did not deny the story last night.

The question now: Why did the PM decided to appoint Pincher back in February as the No. 2 in command in the whips’ office — which is responsible for overseeing and disciplining MPs’ behavior — when Johnson had been made aware of concerns about Pincher’s own conduct?

No. 10 view: A No. 10 source said that allegations about Pincher had been conveyed to the PM’s chief of staff Steve Barclay, who flagged them to the Cabinet Office propriety and ethics team during the February reshuffle and refused to sign off the appointment until they were looked at. Pincher’s appointment was signed off only after PET gave it the green light, the No. 10 source claimed, something which delayed the reshuffle by hours (though it was reported at the time that the delay was partly down to Pincher resisting the deputy title when he had been expecting to get the top job).

Open secret: In this essential piece in May, POLITICO’s Esther Webber reported claims that a member of the government had a “minder” to ensure he left events without drinking too much and getting into trouble — and we can now reveal the MP concerned was Pincher. That obviously went well. He did not respond to a request for comment last night, and a senior party official said they were not aware of the claim.

What the Tories are saying: A Tory Party source told the Mail’s Jason Groves, among others: “The PM thinks he’s done the decent thing by resigning. There is no need for an investigation and no need to suspend the whip.” Playbook is told that the PM texted Pincher last night to accept his resignation and thank him for taking responsibility for his wrongdoing.

• Like 1

There's no way any of us here would keep our jobs if we were guilty of sexual assault, even if it didn't occur in the workplace. Another example of one rule for them.

The first accusation against Pincher came out years ago. I couldn't believe we re-elected him in 2019 when his behaviour was common knowledge to anyone with an internet connection.

16 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Good point. I think coalition governments work for stability and the idea that a minority popular vote can grant such a large majority isn't very democratic. 

If a coalition was good enough to defeat Hitler, it is hard to make the case that the unfolding economic crisis doesn't need moderation and a consensus rather than a single party being left to f**k it up in their own ideological way.

Obviously, for those who want their Tory bastard of choice put up against the wall, coalitions are a bit milk and water, for their tastes.

The Lib-Dems certainly were forced to make a lot of compromises when Clegg was their man but raising the tax threshold certainly helped the lowest paid more than their critics wanted to admit.

I think most people want to see the present government punished, but voting Labour in would look like an act of masochism.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

My hunch at the moment, with a lot of time left on the clock, is that we’re heading for a Labour win by default if nothing substantial changes.

I don’t see Labour being swept to power, I see Labour being the largest party based on lots of tory voters sitting on their hands.

But pointlessly early to be making predictions to be honest.

• Like 1

The question now: Why did the PM decided to appoint Pincher back in February as the No. 2 in command in the whips’ office — which is responsible for overseeing and disciplining MPs’ behavior — when Johnson had been made aware of concerns about Pincher’s own conduct?

I can’t find the story now but I recall in Jan / Feb Pincher was urging other Tory MP’s to give BJ their full support in the whatsapp group.

Then he was promoted. Coincidentally of course.

58 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why is Phil Mitchell in the background?! 🤣🤣

Because the Steve referenced in Cold War Steve is Steve McFadden AKA Phil Mitchell

An awful lot of CWS' work features Phil Mitchell "looking on in disgust." It is the central theme of most of his work

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

Because the Steve referenced in Cold War Steve is Steve McFadden AKA Phil Mitchell

An awful lot of CWS' work features Phil Mitchell "looking on in disgust." It is the central theme of most of his work

As is, to a slightly lesser extent, Cilla hiding somewhere in the picture. 

What hour do we think Pincher will stand down as MP? If BoJo is under too much pressure to get rid of him Pincher will be offered the chance to stand down.

I’m going for 15:00 today.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â