The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I'm not sure if there is some kind of injunction against the Carriegate story printed in early editions of the Times, and online in both the Times and Daily Heil, only later to be pulled, so I'll err on the side of caution about discussing it 

Wondering if the Beeb are doing similar client journalism here, or know more about ongoing legal proceedings, as they seemed very keen to shut the discussion down asap.

Edited by StanBalaban

13 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I'm not sure if there is some kind of injunction against the Carriegate story printed in early editions of the Timea

I very much doubt there's an injunction, the story about the story disappearing which include pretty much all the details are all over the media

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I very much doubt there's an injunction, the story about the story disappearing which include pretty much all the details are all over the media

Yeah you're most probably right. Just a few stories on that there Twitter about an injunction being the reason the stories were pulled.

Either way, just another story to reaffirm what an unethical, odious fat word removed Bunter is.

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Yeah you're most probably right. Just a few stories on that there Twitter about an injunction being the reason the stories were pulled.

Either way, just another story to reaffirm what an unethical, odious fat word removed Bunter is.

The story being pulled is a bigger story than the story tbh

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Talking bollocks. 

"As there's someone else with a completely different name in the cabinet, what should I call you?" is one of the most bizarre openings to an interview I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Britain has a decision to make: the rule of Boris Johnson – or the rule of law?

For 800 years, traditions and statute have protected citizens from tyranny. This PM will trash it all

Don’t succumb to Johnson derangement syndrome, they tell us. Stay calm. Keep a sense of proportion. Don’t get carried away. As a matter of self-care, that might be good advice for those at risk of bursting a blood vessel in their rage at this government and its leader. But learning to shrug off Boris Johnson’s conduct carries risks of its own. It can mean missing, or underreacting to, acts that merit furious opposition – such as when, before our very eyes, the prime minister destroys the principle that sits at the very foundation of a free society, a principle first codified in this country eight centuries ago and without which a life free of fear is impossible. I’m talking about the rule of law.

It’s so basic, we take it for granted. It’s the notion, spelt out in Magna Carta in 1215, that even those in power do not enjoy unlimited or unfettered authority, but are constrained by rules; that even the sovereign – the state – is subject to the law of the land. Only then can citizens feel relatively safe from the threat of arbitrary power, safe from a king – or prime minister – doing whatever the hell he likes.

Gideon Rachman’s new book, The Age of the Strongman, includes Johnson alongside the likes of Donald Trump, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Viktor Orbán – and this, despite the obvious differences, is one of the chief reasons why. What these men have in common is disdain for any constraint on their own power. If the law enables them to have their way, then it is legitimate. If it does not, it can be broken or ignored. Those who insist on it – lawyers and judges, for example – are demonised as politically motivated partisans, meddling, out-of-touch elitists, “enemies of the people”.

Yet the rule of law is anything but the preserve of the elite. It is the last, most precious protection of the weak against the whims of the strong. It is what stands between us and tyranny. Our prime minister poses a grave threat to it – and it’s not deranged to say so.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

"As there's someone else with a completely different name in the cabinet, what should I call you?" is one of the most bizarre openings to an interview I've ever heard.

Who is also male and not in the room… why would it **** matter one iota?

The gags write themselves. And of course the truth of things will not be good for him were it come out. Even if it's a perfectly legitimate routine operation it looks bad that he appears to have jumped the queue...

But yeah, where's your money? Carrie find out about another side piece? Husband find out about another side piece? Side effect of over use? Trim back from too much lying?

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Any bets on when the bin strike gets called? It's basically inevitable.

Everyone will be striking soon at some point.

Can't be long before nurses, doctors, teachers e.t.c join the picket line.

I think civil unrest could reach some really nasty levels before the year is out, there is already reports of people committing petty crime such as stealing from shops just to feed themselves and make ends meet.

Edited by AshVilla

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Number 10 (forced to) confirm they were in contact with the Times after it published the story, and before it was pulled…

Downing Street has admitted there were conversations between Number 10 and The Times, after the newspaper dropped a report that claimed Boris Johnsontried to appoint his now wife to a Government role when he was Foreign Secretary.

According to the story in The Times on Saturday, Mr Johnson attempted to hire Carrie Johnson as his chief of staff at the Foreign Office in 2018.

The report was pulled from later editions of the paper, sparking questions over whether No 10 applied political pressure on its editors.

It is entirely a matter for publications, for journalists to decide on what they write

The Prime Minister’s spokesperson on Monday acknowledged there had been contact between Downing Street and The Times before and after the story was published.

The Standard

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Everyone will be striking soon at some point.

Everyone that’s in a union.

Which is approximately 20% of the working population.

Interesting response from the trade body for work agencies today relating the Govt intention to change the law to allow strike breaking by employing agency staff. The trade body has said they haven’t been consulted and are absolutely not interested in trying to send agency staff across picket lines.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â