The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

35 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah but Labour would have given free broadband so that’s worse. Look it up, it’s all there for you to see, I’m not going to show you. 

Energy strategy: UK plans eight new nuclear reactors to boost production...

... Key points of the new energy strategy

Nuclear - The government plans to reduce the UK's reliance on oil and gas by building as many as eight new nuclear reactors, including two at Sizewell in Suffolk. A new body will oversee the delivery of the new plants.

Wind - The government aims to reform planning laws to speed up approvals for new offshore wind farms. For onshore wind farms it wants to develop partnerships with "supportive communities" who want to host turbines in exchange for guaranteed cheaper energy bills.

Hydrogen - Targets for hydrogen production are being doubled to help provide cleaner energy for industry as well as for power, transport and potentially heating.

Solar - The government will consider reforming rules for installing solar panels on homes and commercial buildings to help increase the current solar capacity by up to five times by 2035.

Oil and gas - A new licensing round for North Sea projects is being launched in the summer on the basis that producing gas in the UK has a lower carbon footprint than doing so abroad.

Heat pumps - There will be a £30m "heat pump investment accelerator competition" to make British heat pumps which reduce demand for gas.

BBC

They've missed the tide again. Golly.

30 million for heat pump research. Billions stuffed into their chums' offshore pockets for dicky goods and failed services.

Remember when the tories changed the law on inshore wind farms so they couldn’t be built. Yet now they say they’d love inshore wind farms, but the problem is the law makes them difficult to build.

If one person objects to wind farm it cannot be built. If a whole community and a planning department and the local council object to a waste incinerator in the middle of a residential area, they can be over ruled by a Westminster Minister.

• Like 2

Their views on onshore windfarms are just bizarre, it's like they're still having the debates of 20 years ago. Back then, lots of people used to complain about windfarms 'spoiling the view' and it was a big deal in rural communities (IIRC there was a big fight about this on Anglesey for instance). Now though, nobody gives a shit about what they look like, not because of Ukraine or climate change or energy security, people have just got used to what they look like. The one advantage of the Conservative party's absurd dislike of onshore wind is that they semi-accidentally birthed a world-leading offshore wind industry as a consequence, so I guess it's not all terrible, but they should get over it now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Their views on onshore windfarms are just bizarre, it's like they're still having the debates of 20 years ago. Back then, lots of people used to complain about windfarms 'spoiling the view' and it was a big deal in rural communities (IIRC there was a big fight about this on Anglesey for instance). Now though, nobody gives a shit about what they look like, not because of Ukraine or climate change or energy security, people have just got used to what they look like. The one advantage of the Conservative party's absurd dislike of onshore wind is that they semi-accidentally birthed a world-leading offshore wind industry as a consequence, so I guess it's not all terrible, but they should get over it now.

There are existing sites with dormant planning approvals for wind farms. If we wanted to, we could start construction on Monday.

A nuclear power station will take 20 years, and in years 5, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 the news will break that its a bit more expensive than we thought it was going to be when we last reported.

When it’s built in 20 years time, it will have a lifespan of about 25 years. A useable life span that is. It’ll be toxic for thousands of years. It’s an insane thing to do.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There are existing sites with dormant planning approvals for wind farms. If we wanted to, we could start construction on Monday.

A nuclear power station will take 20 years, and in years 5, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 the news will break that its a bit more expensive than we thought it was going to be when we last reported.

When it’s built in 20 years time, it will have a lifespan of about 25 years. A useable life span that is. It’ll be toxic for thousands of years. It’s an insane thing to do.

I'm reluctantly coming round to the opposite conclusion to you on nuclear I think. I don't want to conclude this, but it seems that we either have to have natural gas or nuclear for baseload, in a world in which we need to produce an awful lot more electricity than we do today.

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm reluctantly coming round to the opposite conclusion to you on nuclear I think. I don't want to conclude this, but it seems that we either have to have natural gas or nuclear for baseload, in a world in which we need to produce an awful lot more electricity than we do today.

We can have far more facilities such as Dinorwig (Electric Mountain). We can invest in batteries instead of nuclear. Then there’s my usual drum to bang, tidal. There is never ever a day when the tide doesn’t roll in. There’s a thousand square kilometres of roof all ready and waiting for PV. Then of course there is ground source heat pumps, deep wells. 

Then, it would be interesting to see the impact of spending £25 Billion on insulation and efficiency, rather than Hinckley C.

Then, if someone can explain the long term plan to make the nuclear poison legacy a bit less ‘forever’ whilst also explaining how we improve our security by having a nuclear facility outside every town, then I’m all ears. Welfare power station was supposed to last 60 years, it lasted 44 before it became too economically unviable to operate safely. Closed in 2015, it’ll be the year 2100 before they can move in to decommission the reactor.

Chernobyl was in 1986. It was 2012 before the full ban was lifted on growing food for sale in some parts of Wales. Now I know we’re told that sort of accident couldn’t happen again. Like Long Island couldn’t. Like Fukushima couldn’t. Yeah, sure.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We can have far more facilities such as Dinorwig (Electric Mountain). We can invest in batteries instead of nuclear. Then there’s my usual drum to bang, tidal. There is never ever a day when the tide doesn’t roll in. There’s a thousand square kilometres of roof all ready and waiting for PV. Then of course there is ground source heat pumps, deep wells. 

Then, it would be interesting to see the impact of spending £25 Billion on insulation and efficiency, rather than Hinckley C.

Then, if someone can explain the long term plan to make the nuclear poison legacy a bit less ‘forever’ whilst also explaining how we improve our security by having a nuclear facility outside every town, then I’m all ears. Welfare power station was supposed to last 60 years, it lasted 44 before it became too economically unviable to operate safely. Closed in 2015, it’ll be the year 2100 before they can move in to decommission the reactor.

Chernobyl was in 1986. It was 2012 before the full ban was lifted on growing food for sale in some parts of Wales. Now I know we’re told that sort of accident couldn’t happen again. Like Long Island couldn’t. Like Fukushima couldn’t. Yeah, sure.

Tidal power (like all options) is expensive, supply may not match demand and can’t be installed everywhere.

A lot of people don’t want PV cells on their roofs, then there’s also the supply / demand issues. In this country we use most energy on the shortest, darkest days.

I can see why nuclear is a strong candidate for consistent, “clean” (in terms of greenhouse gases), almost too cheap to meter energy in a world that is using more and more electricity.

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We can have far more facilities such as Dinorwig (Electric Mountain). 

Good video if someone has no idea what this place is. Blew my mind. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Tidal power (like all options) is expensive, supply may not match demand and can’t be installed everywhere.

A lot of people don’t want PV cells on their roofs, then there’s also the supply / demand issues. In this country we use most energy on the shortest, darkest days.

I can see why nuclear is a strong candidate for consistent, “clean” (in terms of greenhouse gases), almost too cheap to meter energy in a world that is using more and more electricity.

Apologies, but I think this is pulling my leg?

I’m well tired so you might not be?

But I’m taking tidal power not being suitable around an island, and nuclear being too cheap to meter as my clues.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â