The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

When Wallis was first elected, they were public enemy number 1.

But then, locally, the anti Wallis stuff stopped. Friends who would happily share gossip on local politicians just didn’t really have much to say about Wallis. 

I suspect that in those smokey political back rooms with dossiers on everyone, this has been a known secret for some time.

So little was made of the car crash at the time, it was clearly ‘odd’.

For those that can’t place Wallis:

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So is they male to female or female to male? 

Male to female it appears. They present as a man but their statement says they now wish to be recognised as trans. So unless they have been living as a man for a very long time without acknowledging they were female, it's male to female.

Another day, another Tory MP standing trial for sexual assault

An MP asked an 18-year-old if he was "a true Scotsman" and lifted his kilt, before sexually assaulting the man's younger brother in a bunkbed, a court has heard.

Imran Ahmad Khan, 48, from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, denies one charge of sexual assault.

The alleged incidents are said to have taken place at a party at a house in Staffordshire in January 2008.

Mr Khan was elected as the Conservative MP for Wakefield in 2019

17 hours ago, Genie said:

For me the point it showed was that he was concerned about Labour being too “left” but didn’t actually understand what that meant. Just that a party being left wasn’t a good thing and he should be against it.

If he could give some examples then fair enough, it’s what he values and he’s backing it. No problem. But he couldn’t, he didn’t really understand what he was so passionate about. He thought that labour being left was worse than the Tories breaking the law 20+ times, despite not knowing what about being left was a bad thing.

Woman at work used to be like this.

Voted conservative because she hated Labour, but couldn't tell you why she hated labour.

What's more is she's a vegan, animal rights loving, eco warrior, feminist with two gay siblings so is very passionate about LGBTQ+ rights. She's about as left wing as you can be, but because she'd always voted Tory and thought Labour = evil she just carried on, without actually realising that left wing parties fit her ideology a lot better than the Conservatives

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What's more is she's a vegan, animal rights loving, eco warrior, feminist with two gay siblings so is very passionate about LGBTQ+ rights. She's about as left wing as you can be

New ager's are just one step away from the goosestep

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Voted conservative because she hated Labour, but couldn't tell you why she hated labour.

Back in the 1980s I was told by my college lecturer that if women didn't have the vote there would never have been a Tory government since WW2.

His explanation was that women were very class conscious and didn't vote Labour because they associated it with the lower classes.

This might not be the case now but it might explain the apparent discrepancy, as women do still tend to be hypergamous.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Back in the 1980s I was told by my college lecturer that if women didn't have the vote there would never have been a Tory government since WW2.

His explanation was that women were very class conscious and didn't vote Labour because they associated it with the lower classes.

This might not be the case now but it might explain the apparent discrepancy, as women do still tend to be hypergamous.

That was certainly true back when you were told it, but since 2015 things have flipped the other way, we see younger women more and more likely to vote Labour.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election

How%20Britain%20voted%202019%20age%20and%20gender-01.png

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Interestingly, this trend can be observed in other countries as well (both the US and Australia for example, as well as being widely across western - but not so much eastern - Europe).

Some hypotheses for why working-age women are somewhat left-leaning compared to working-age men:

• Women are on average somewhat lower paid than men;
  • Because women are lower-paid and less secure in their career (because of needing to take a large break) they may favour expansionist welfare state policies at a higher rate than men;
  • This could be especially true in the case of healthcare;
  • One of the main causes may be declining religiosity - the decline in the belief that 'a woman's place is in the home' led to increasing labour force participation, which in turn leads to fewer children and more emotional and financial investment in the progress of a career, hence caring more about precarity in work;
  • The same result, but driven by the increase in the cost of living;
  • The decline of unionisation among the working-age male population as a result of the decline of the manufacturing industry and the consequent rise in proportion of unionised population of women because they are more likely to be in comparatively successful public sector unions;
  • Related to that, the idea that women tend to numerically dominate in industries where the work is more 'relationship oriented', and maintaining relationships with others is vital (e.g. teaching, nursing, social care, HR, real estate, etc.). This could lead to a politics more focused on addressing the problems of the less fortunate in society
  • That the bigger change may actually be among men becoming more right-wing, as a reaction to the above and perhaps as a reaction to the political success of feminism

Probably some element of most or all of those I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

That was certainly true back when you were told it, but since 2015 things have flipped the other way, we see younger women more and more likely to vote Labour.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election

How%20Britain%20voted%202019%20age%20and%20gender-01.png

Interesting stuff. I am going to be turning 50 in less than 2 years. According to this I may need to take one for the team and be put down before then.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Tory is seen as the party that well off people vote for, and Labour are the party that poor scroungers vote for. Obviously that's complete bollocks, but I genuinely think that's how some people think. They vote Tory because they think they are, or want to be, the same as everyone else who votes Tory.

This was 100% my mother. We lived on a council estate, my Dad worked in a factory, but when as a kid I asked my Mom what class we were, she confidently said "middle class". By which she meant that we weren't "common" (her worst insult). Voted Tory all her life until she needed some help to swing a transfer to a sheltered accomodation place up in Leeds, contacted her Tory MP and got ignored. So she tried her Labour local councillor, who went out of her way to sort it. The penny finally dropped. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â