The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/jan/31/uk-politics-live-omicron-nhs-workers-coronavirus-vaccines-no-10-sue-gray-report?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-61f7f1bd8f0893aa7aee80f6#block-61f7f1bd8f0893aa7aee80f6

Sounds pretty meaningful to me:-

"The excessive consumption of alcohol is not appropriate in a professional workplace at any time. Steps must be taken to ensure that every government department has a clear and robust policy in place covering the consumption of alcohol in the workplace."

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/jan/31/uk-politics-live-omicron-nhs-workers-coronavirus-vaccines-no-10-sue-gray-report?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-61f7f1bd8f0893aa7aee80f6#block-61f7f1bd8f0893aa7aee80f6

"The excessive consumption of alcohol is not appropriate in a professional workplace at any time. Steps must be taken to ensure that every government department has a clear and robust policy in place covering the consumption of alcohol in the workplace."

Interesting that it says "excessive". That doesn't sound like a quick Friday lunchtime pint.

In respect of the gatherings that the Metropolitan Police has assessed as not reaching the threshold for criminal investigation; they have not requested any limitations be placed on the description of those events, however, I have decided not to publish factual accounts in relation to those four dates. I do not feel that I am able to do so without detriment to the overall balance of the findings.

What does she mean by this? If she included them here they’d be out of context? I don’t know what she means by “the overall balance of the findings”.

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Interesting that it says "excessive". That doesn't sound like a quick Friday lunchtime pint.

Yes im surprised the word 'Excessive" wasn't redacted !

I really think this has to be the end - you can't have people trusted with the highest power getting pissed up - whilst other people were forced to die alone

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

In respect of the gatherings that the Metropolitan Police has assessed as not reaching the threshold for criminal investigation; they have not requested any limitations be placed on the description of those events, however, I have decided not to publish factual accounts in relation to those four dates. I do not feel that I am able to do so without detriment to the overall balance of the findings.

What does she mean by this? If she included them here they’d be out of context? I don’t know what she means by “the overall balance of the findings”.

I think it means she will get a large severance package in August. 

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Is she leaning towards it being a work event, with alcohol then (and not a extra curricular party)?

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Effectively she's saying she isn't going to publish details of the events that police aren't interested in as doing so would prejudice the ultimate findings of the case - i.e. those details will either make the thing look worse than it would in its totality, or it makes the thing look better than it is.

Either way she's basically saying I'm not going to publish details until I can publish all the details.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Is she leaning towards it being a work event, with alcohol then (and not a extra curricular party)?

Thats what I mean either:-

It was an after work party - with no holds barred - in total breach of covid regulations - wrote by those very same people.

Or

Whilst they were presiding over a pandemic that forced people to leave there loved ones to die alone. They were getting pissed on the job ! 

Take your pick ! - its a feckin outrage either way ! 

• Like 1

Yeah the published report says nothing. Basically amounts to "it was inappropriate". 

The closest it gets to anything damning is saying that excessive drinking was happening. But even then it just says it's inappropriate.

This is all going to get swept under the carpet isn't it? *sigh*

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so let me guess, PMQs this week will largely consist of "we need to wait for the MEANINGFUL sue gray report before we comment"

If you sack me - Russia will invade ukraine and our country will be wiped off the face of the earth - I am your saviour - if you will just leave me alone.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Thats what I mean either:-

It was an after work party - with no holds barred - in total breach of covid regulations - wrote by those very same people.

Or

Whilst they were presiding over a pandemic that forced people to leave there loved ones to die alone. They were getting pissed on the job ! 

Take your pick ! - its a feckin outrage either way ! 

The second one is better from Boris’s perspective. “We were working and I apologise for alcohol being present”.

Its better than, we we had a party cos we felt like one. 

I would probably lean towards saying that the stuff she can discuss will make the overall issue look better than it would if all the details were given. It appears the stuff she's been given the ok to publish is the stuff nobody would actually pay attention to if all the details were written up in a newspaper article... Suggesting the stuff she can't talk about, that the police are looking at, is grim. IMO.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes im surprised the word 'Excessive" wasn't redacted !

I really think this has to be the end - you can't have people trusted with the highest power getting pissed up - whilst other people were forced to die alone

Well you would think so

Or they will say lessions will have to be learnt, sack the junior staff who went to get the booze, and hope that this week's policy accounemets and Ukraine will make everyone forget it all.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah the published report says nothing. Basically amounts to "it was inappropriate". 

The closest it gets to anything damning is saying that excessive drinking was happening. But even then it just says it's inappropriate.

This is all going to get swept under the carpet isn't it? *sigh*

Not quite.

Its a new low for British politics - be interesting to see the right wing media encourage us all to think about something else.

But to anyone with an ounce integrity - its a scandal of the highest order   

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The second one is better from Boris’s perspective. “We were working and I apologise for alcohol being present”.

Its better than, we we had a party cos we felt like one. 

Yes but the report says excessive alcohol - not a glass a wine at your desk  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â