The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, Genie said:

If others are claiming £8k a year in language lessons they aren’t taking then they’ll quickly be found out.

Hes in the fortunate position to be able to claim he learned it from the lessons.

Do we know if he’s the only one at it? I wouldn’t be surprised if other bilingual MP’s have also cottoned on.

They send 8k a year to the language teacher. The language teachers brother in law makes sure their paint work and wallpapering is kept looking first class. The cousin ensures that MP’s child keeps getting the extra violin lessons. 

That’s way too well thought out. MPs especially our Dan, aren’t that clever

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

He will be in a minority of being fluent in a second language, so can pass it off as learned during the lessons (without actually having to take them).

Your other run of the mill crook MP’s don’t have that luxury.

He isn't just fluent in another language. It's his first language. He's a native speaker.

Imagine Diane Abbott spending 22 grand on English lessons the uproar there would be.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Do we know if he’s the only one at it? I wouldn’t be surprised if other bilingual MP’s have also cottoned on.

I can't find a full breakdown by MP, but politics.co.uk claims that in total, MPs have claimed £127,000 of language classes in the last 5 years. Kawczynsk is responsible for 20% of the entire parliamentary cost.

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

He isn't just fluent in another language. It's his first language. He's a native speaker.

Imagine Diane Abbott spending 22 grand on English lessons the uproar there would be.

You’re a native Polish speaker, right? There’s a video of him speaking / reading Polish on the previous page,. How’s his accent? Does he sound like a native Polish person or a Brit speaking Polish?

One minor point I'd make here, which is not intended as a defence of him because I don't know about his case, is that being 'fluent' is not necessarily the end to the language learning journey, and also that the more advanced a student is, the more expensive their further tuition becomes.

To explain this as simply as I can: most language students are low level, in any language. Consequently, it is easy for lower-level students to join group classes, and easy(ish) for providers to hire medium-skilled teaching practitioners to teach them, and easy to find good quality published textbooks and other materials pitched at these levels to aid the language learning process. As learners become more advanced, they will become more 'fluent', and for the vast majority the need to study the language further will wither away when they reach a level that allows for easy daily communication (typically, 'B1' or 'B2' in the CEFR). However, some students may want or need to study beyond these levels, even though they are functionally or actually 'fluent'. These students are fewer, so often cannot join group classes, and teachers that can teach them well are (much) rarer. To give an example, the hardest class I have taught (in terms of just creating a program of study) was a one-to-one class with a Hungarian translator who worked for the European Parliament. She was already 'fluent' at a native level; in CEFR terms she was beyond C2, in the level we term 'Proficiency'. In practice, there was still plenty for her to learn (she wanted to work on her intonation, to learn more idioms commonly used in business and politics, and to be better able to understand nuances of meaning when listening). But it was extremely difficult to prepare materials for her, and truthfully I was not very good at it and was not the right choice of teacher, nor was it the right choice of school. A teacher who could truly have taught her properly could have commanded a high price for the skills needed in doing so.

Again, this is not to say that this is the situation for Kawczynski; I have no idea if it is. But the ideas of already being high-level at a language and paying quite steep rates for futher improvement is not as contradictory as it might seem.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

You’re a native Polish speaker, right? There’s a video of him speaking / reading Polish on the previous page,. How’s his accent? Does he sound like a native Polish person or a Brit speaking Polish?

No, it's my 2nd language.

He's a native. His parents are Polish, he was born in Warsaw. When he speaks English, he has a Polish speaking English twang.

Edited by StefanAVFC

This is a first I think, I agree with Jacob Rees-Mogg :huh:

Jacob Rees-Mogg defends jury system amid criticism of Edward Colston statue verdict

Jacob Rees-Mogg has defended juries amid criticism from some Conservative MPs after four people who removed a statue of slave trader Edward Colston were cleared of criminal damage.

He told MPs that monuments should be protected and only removed through "due process", but added that "one of our greatest monuments is the jury system which is the great sublime protector of our liberties". 

"Juries must be free to come to decisions that they choose to come to on the facts that are in front of them in relation to a specific case and what they hear from the prosecuting counsel, from the defence counsel and from the judge," he said.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just in case anyone wasn't sure, Sky News is not a padody site

Quite apart from the obvious responses - when exactly is the end of the broadcasting day? I can remember this being played when TV shut down before midnight, but now it's basically 24/7, with no downtime. 

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

external-content.duckduckgo-3.jpg.8c308f79d705680f7feca3a7e0f3c9fa.jpg

After tax shy Brexit scum Mogg lied to her, then those pics from No10 came out, I imagine she's got little time for the BoJo bellends.

The Firm have never like Mogg, always considered him to be a charlatan

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â