The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

Why would they kick out the most popular P.M. in living memory....?

He isn't any more is he? Isn't Starmer, for example, as you mentioned him, more popular? Whatever, Johnson's approval ratings are going down, he's getting slagged off by the tory press - ridiculed on front pages even. That doesn't augur well for him. And there's a storm coming with all the Brexit mess. U turns every week - it's like the last days of the Major Gov't, only worse and only a few months in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

He isn't any more is he? Isn't Starmer, for example, as you mentioned him, more popular? Whatever, Johnson's approval ratings are going down, he's getting slagged off by the tory press - ridiculed on front pages even. That doesn't augur well for him. And there's a storm coming with all the Brexit mess. U turns every week - it's like the last days of the Major Gov't, only worse and only a few months in.

I suppose the counter to that is that Starmer is not a Prime Minister, but the claim is absurd on its face. Tony Blair in 1997 is 'within living memory', as is Thatcher during the Falklands, or Churchill during WWII come to that.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I suppose the counter to that is that Starmer is not a Prime Minister

Ah. Of course. Good point well made. Wishful thinking on my part :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Within living memory of a goldfish.

I've not got the numbers in front of me, but I strongly suspect - given Theresa May's approval ratings at the start of the 2017 election campaign - that a person would need to be less than three and a half years old for that claim to be true.

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sorry , biggest majority since 1987.......and.....Prime Ministers are rarely popular during their term but suddenly become everyone's favourite at election time when the alternative becomes apparent.....as has just happened in the last election ( I won't tell you which way I voted, you will have to guess.....).

VLD.

4 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Sorry , biggest majority since 1987.......and.....Prime Ministers are rarely popular during their term but suddenly become everyone's favourite at election time when the alternative becomes apparent.....as has just happened in the last election ( I won't tell you which way I voted, you will have to guess.....).

VLD.

The size of a majority is not a measure of how popular a Prime Minister is.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The size of a majority is not a measure of how popular a Prime Minister is.

And even if it was, Blair in 97 was a bigger majority (almost double).

And also, by the nature of Living Memory, 1987 is still within that time frame. 

Any way you spin it, the original claim was bunkum. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Graham t said:

VLD.

I guess that's true. Certainly the alternative was all kinds of dreadful and that helped Johnson. I guess the pandemic to start with also helped his ratings, but ever since it's been a downward trend. And the alternative has got significantly less bad, as far as I can tell/from my perspective, so that's a problem for the tories. Corbyn was basically an electoral asset for them in many places. Starmer isn't. Brexit is completely a Tory Brexit, they own it. It's not going to end well, there. I didn't vote.

Are we accepting things without challenging them now?

'Biggest majority since 1987' is completely false.

2001, 1997. Unless he meant Tory majority which is irrelevant considering the original claim wasn't 'most popular Tory PM' in living memory, which is still untrue considering 1987 is within living memory of a majority of the population...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I guess that's true. Certainly the alternative was all kinds of dreadful and that helped Johnson. I guess the pandemic to start with also helped his ratings, but ever since it's been a downward trend. And the alternative has got significantly less bad, as far as I can tell/from my perspective, so that's a problem for the tories. Corbyn was basically an electoral asset for them in many places. Starmer isn't. Brexit is completely a Tory Brexit, they own it. It's not going to end well, there. I didn't vote.

I think you’ll find any problems with Brexit can be squarely laid at the door of remainer negativity, utterly unforeseeable events, and of course, Europe.

Corbyn is still an electoral asset for them, they will flog the stain on the floor where that dead horse once lay.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think you’ll find any problems with Brexit can be squarely laid at the door of remainer negativity, utterly unforeseeable events, and of course, Europe.

Corbyn is still an electoral asset for them, they will flog the stain on the floor where that dead horse once lay.

yeah, I'm sure they'll try all that. Don't think it'll wash though.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â