Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

Ultimately, it is all subjective I suppose, but I don't personally buy the argument that support doesn't make a lot of difference.  Of course it is not the main contributory factor - money, quality of players, manager etc are all far far more important - we have only got to look at the FA cup final to see how great support does not guarantee results!  But I still think a vocal home crowd gives the home team a bit of help by lifting the players, especially when things aren't going well.  If I was a footballer and I had a choice between a quiet or vocal home crowd I know which one I would want to play for.  On top of all this the atmosphere is not just about players - it is better for the fans as well IMO. I love the games when the whole crowd is up for it. 

Tonight proved exactly what we all said. Give us something to support and we'll beat anyone for noise. Show no fight and you'll lose us.

The holte on a night like tonight is something special!

Tonight proved exactly what we all said. Give us something to support and we'll beat anyone for noise. Show no fight and you'll lose us.

The holte on a night like tonight is something special!

It showed the duality of it, if anything. Both are important and play their part. 

• Like 2

if only we could be half as good in league games in terms of atmosphere. would make things a whole lot more enjoyable instead of the ground be silent, stoke at home will be awful no doubt. 8k shy of a sell out last night so imagine the noise it it was 42k.

• Like 1

For those that don’t have AVTV - Tony Morley talking after blues game kept mentioning the support:

“Hell of a different atmosphere than there was on Saturday…….I mean the atmosphere when Villa scored.  If that doesn’t make the players realise what a club they are playing for; these supporters, it was just out of this world”

"This is a great football club.  There’s nowhere…..nights like that it is one of the best clubs in the country to play for on nights like that.  These foreign players that have come here, they’ll be thinking ‘what a club this is!’"

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

Having standing areas in the ground where singing is encouraged will definately get the rest of the crowd going. Even in the olden days of the terraced Holte there were particular areas like at the back of the Holte on the left side where you would always do a lot more singing and chanting. Then hissing when the p@@@ moved in.

It was only when we were on top that the seats would all join in too. The Holte nearly always started the singing though

Swap Shop....Tiswas!

Edited by Vincenzo
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Ultimately, it is all subjective I suppose, but I don't personally buy the argument that support doesn't make a lot of difference.  Of course it is not the main contributory factor - money, quality of players, manager etc are all far far more important - we have only got to look at the FA cup final to see how great support does not guarantee results!  But I still think a vocal home crowd gives the home team a bit of help by lifting the players, especially when things aren't going well.  If I was a footballer and I had a choice between a quiet or vocal home crowd I know which one I would want to play for.  On top of all this the atmosphere is not just about players - it is better for the fans as well IMO. I love the games when the whole crowd is up for it. 

if the football and results aren't good, the fans will never be as vocal as you would like. Whichever club you go to its the same story. The likes of Crystal Palace and Leicester may be up for it, but they still cannot believe their luck. Of course if VP is roaring it helps. But I have been at VP many times over the years where the fans are really up for it at the beginning of the game but the team never gets going and the fans switch off. 

The fact is that the fans have experienced, over the last 4 seasons, generally dross PL football and the lack of atmosphere at VP reflects that. IF Sherwood and the team improve results VP will be one of, if not the loudest ground in the PL. There is a huge frustration amongst the fans who are desperate for change and any half decent performance will be greeted with a massive outpouring of support as was proven against sha. 

• Like 3

Against SHA, in the second half the noise was constant from all sides of the ground, it was an amazing atmosphere. The fans played a major part in that game, I have no doubts about it.  Grealish and Ayew being brought on at the start of the 2nd half gave the fans a lift from the first half dross. Felt like we was starting the whole game again.

Thanks should be given to the football gods for that second half.

If we have standing areas then they would need to be a section on each side of the ground, lower level, for it to be effective.

Where I was sitting (L6) we only sat down for half time!  I do agree that a few standing areas would be great, or even designated singing areas.  It might help encourage the noisier fans, or those who really want to sing, to congregate.  This doesn't just have to be in the Holte End, which is already pretty loud.  AVFC could also designate a couple of block in the Doug Ellis and Trinity as singing areas - I would definitely be sitting in there when I take my lad!  One block singing would probably encourage others then in those stands.  Then we would have singing from all four corners.

this season so far has been utter shit like the previous 5 seasons so i can understand the negativity around the ground but wouldn't it be a lot more fun if the ground was noisy as hell even if we were playing shit, i know i would enjoy going to the game a lot more and i definitely think the players would respond to it. yes the holte was in fine voice the other night but lets be honest its normally  embarrassingly quiet, i dont expect atmospheres like the other night every game but even if it was half as good then it would still be way better than it is now. if there is no fun on the pitch lets create some in the stands and let everyone know we are villa and proud.

• Like 1

Totally agree. Much more fun to create an atmosphere and be part of a loud bouncing crowd - like everyone is willing the team on. Every supporter must love that feeling, surely?  Like we are having fun and doing our bit to influence the players and the game in our favour (whether it works or not).  There's nothing worse than when the crowd dies and we sit quiet and hear the away fans party away and take the piss. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

To be fair we could see it from the upper and as soon as anyone in that area stood up the whole group of stewards down there got up and went to tell them to sit down. It looked like complete overkill by them.

'Sit down or get yourself arrested' sounds like it sums up the order of the day for the stewards down there.

why did they move down the front?

the club accommodated them where they were last season, i can stand all game at the back of the lower holte, so could they, now they've gone down the front and have an issue, brought it on themselves

said many many times on here, they're a load of nonsense

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â