Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we can get 30k+ crowds in championship I think we have a very good chance of coming up. Championship sides won't enjoy coming to a hostile big crowd stadium

Hostility comes from good performances on the pitch. 

If the performances are shite, even a non league side will enjoy coming to Villa Park. 

42 minutes ago, West said:

Hostility comes from good performances on the pitch. 

If the performances are shite, even a non league side will enjoy coming to Villa Park. 

Agreed, but look at palace fans even when they are losing 3-0 at chelsea they still back their team. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Agreed, but look at palace fans even when they are losing 3-0 at chelsea they still back their team. 

It's easy to back your team when they're losing when they're performing as well as they have done in decades.

it's a lot harder when you've been served up total shite for 5 years

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's easy to back your team when they're losing when they're performing as well as they have done in decades.

it's a lot harder when you've been served up total shite for 5 years

Fair point Stevo, but Villa Park has lost alot of its magic that it use to have. as soon as we go a goal down the fans turn straight away which I think has  abig impact on this poor squad 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Fair point Stevo, but Villa Park has lost alot of its magic that it use to have. as soon as we go a goal down the fans turn straight away which I think has  abig impact on this poor squad 

I agree it has an impact, but like I said you can't blame the fans for being unhappy. It's not unique to Villa.

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The thing is, it's easy to take pot-shots at the committee paradigm, but there's not a single big club in the country that isn't using some kind of committee system, even if it's not called that. There's so much money involved, and the scouting systems alone are so complex and huge, no manager alive could possibly keep eyes on every aspect of the recruitment process. Managers have to have help. Obviously, there's a question of degree in all this, and Villa's committee frankly didn't seem to do a good job, but a good committee with a good manager could work really well.

Yeah, but we don't have a good committee and the jury is still out regarding Garde being a good manager

The thing is, it's easy to take pot-shots at the committee paradigm, but there's not a single big club in the country that isn't using some kind of committee system, even if it's not called that. There's so much money involved, and the scouting systems alone are so complex and huge, no manager alive could possibly keep eyes on every aspect of the recruitment process. Managers have to have help. Obviously, there's a question of degree in all this, and Villa's committee frankly didn't seem to do a good job, but a good committee with a good manager could work really well.

Yeah, but we don't have a good committee and the jury is still out regarding Garde being a good manager

Why don't we have a "good committee"? How big a part does Tim Sherwood play in that? How big a part does the previous 5 years of neglect have to play? How about the financial restrictions?

What if, for example, Tim Sherwood said "nah, don't need a keeper that badly mate and I reckon Gestede will bang them in"? Are they still a bad committee for not overruling their manager? The man closest to the squad, the one who worked with them day in day out?

People seem to have quite a strong opinion on this so I'm assuming they have the answers. I'm assuming I'm missing something.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supernova26 said:

We are an English footballing institution we don't belong down there.

We founded the league and have a good history but since our success in the early 80's we have won 2 league cups in 30+years. We have been in the bottom 5 for the last few years, sold all our best players and tried sign players whilst not spending any money. We do belong in the Championship and that's where we will be at the start of next season

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why don't we have a "good committee"? How big a part does Tim Sherwood play in that? How big a part does the previous 5 years of neglect have to play? How about the financial restrictions?

What if, for example, Tim Sherwood said "nah, don't need a keeper that badly mate and I reckon Gestede will bang them in"? Are they still a bad committee for not overruling their manager? The man closest to the squad, the one who worked with them day in day out?

People seem to have quite a strong opinion on this so I'm assuming they have the answers. I'm assuming I'm missing something.

Thissy thissy this this.

Sherwood keeps getting absolved from blame for the transfers. It's annoying. 
Let's see how the committee performs with Garde as part of it.

Garde at least remotely seems to know what he's doing.

• Like 2

Yeah, why not just blame Sherwood for all our problems and then they would all melt away.

Not just Sherwood. How about the state the squad was in generally after half a decade of neglect? They weren't given an additional £40m and simply failed to spend it.

I'm not saying they did a "good" job. Though they did sign our three best players this summer. But they alone seem to be copping all the flack from some people and it really isn't that simple.

• Like 1

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

The biggest issue for me, and i'll admit that it's in hindsight but I know a lot of others did raise it at the time, is that someone with no experience in the transfer market seemingly had the final say on our biggest and most important squad overhaul in years.

Shocking decision.

Sherwood had no experience of buying players, our chief scout has no experience of being a chief scout, our sporting director has no experience of being a sporting director and our CEO has no experience of being a CEO.

Looking back it's easy to see why it didn't go very well, I think we signed too many players personally. Tried too much at once and **** up

• Like 2

I think the question is, does anyone think we'd be in the situation we are now if we'd binned Sherwood and brought in Garde for the pre-season?

I don't think we'd be drastically better off but I don't think we'd be bottom and so many points away from safety either.

• Like 1

I think the question is, does anyone think we'd be in the situation we are now if we'd binned Sherwood and brought in Garde for the pre-season?

I don't think we'd be drastically better off but I don't think we'd be bottom and so many points away from safety either.

Â