Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

I guess this is probably for another thread but I really do question some of our players 'footballing IQs'. I agree that those decisions can sometimes go either way but I've got no idea what Hutton is even thinking about there. I think it would have taken some finish to beat Guzan from the angle Walcott was getting himself into.

It's just one of those things though isn't it.

Sometimes you do stuff instinctively in a game that given a couple of seconds to think about you wouldn't do.

That's not an excuse, but I don't think it's really down to footballing IQ in this case. Just poor instincts.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's just one of those things though isn't it.

Sometimes you do stuff instinctively in a game that given a couple of seconds to think about you wouldn't do.

That's not an excuse, but I don't think it's really down to footballing IQ in this case. Just poor instincts.

It's kind of why I enclosed footballing IQ. It's a nonsensical term but an easier way of saying what you said.

Either way I still feel like as a team we make a lot of basic errors.

• Like 1

Nothing has changed for me after the Arsenal game.  Expected nothing, got nothing.  Like (a very few) others though I'm not giving up yet.  It was always til the end of Jan for us to be finally doomed or have a sniff of survival for me, but we have to start the winning now.

I'm pretty sure it won't happen, and seeing the results every other team bar us is managing to pull off is a nail in the coffin each time.  But...I still hold the smallest margin of hope, that something will click for this team and a first win could breed the confidence to get a run going.  A piece of luck going our way, a cheeky penalty, an own goal, a dodgy decision - any small thing to turn it round.  Starting Saturday please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I just hope I'll be able to catch some games next season if we go down, which is starting to look more and more inevitable. Not easy being and international fan.

Look at the positives dude, it will be easier to get a ticket! ;)

1 hour ago, BOF said:

We do seem to be punished more than most.  Doesn't help that when you're down there you tend not to get the decisions.  I mean I know Hutton tugged at Walcott but it was to an extent that I've seen let go on several occasions, but nope, we concede the penalty.

If that was Bellerin tugging at Ayew we would not have been awarded a pen and both Gestede and Ayew would have been booked for pleading with the ref.

My point is that I've seen them not given.  Yet when you're down there, you tend not to get those decisions in your favour.  Plus when you're not scoring many yourself, that tends to amplify the effect of those refereeing decisions, often making them decisive.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Oh come on, it wasn't a bit of a tug, he had both arms on him then stumbled in to him.

I know he did but, it wasn't clear for the ref to give it straight away. My point is, if it happened exactly the opposite way, the ref would not have changed his mind and probably would have booked the Villa players for questioning the decision.

It was Hutton's fault for making the foul but, I don't think it would have been given the opposite way around.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The ref didn't give it straight away. I still haven't quite figured out what happened there.

At the game it seemed like a long time but having watched it back it was less than a handful of seconds. As much as it grieves me to say it he made the right decision.

Edited by markavfc40

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Lack of ability, no desire or passion and a manager that doesn't appear to have made any difference (so far, I will give him time).

We deserve to go down. Everything about the club is defeatist. We expected to lose against Arsenal and there was no fight. Looked better in second half but Arsenal were on cruise control. Bournemouth have gone out and beat Chelsea and Man Utd. Newcastle have beaten Liverpool and Spurs. I can't see us beating the likes of Norwich or Newcastle. I think we could be relegated very early. 

That's my worry, other teams seem to be winning and raising their games where as we just look as crap as ever with no improvement at all. I think we will get hammered by Newcastle

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

I guess this is probably for another thread but I really do question some of our players 'footballing IQs'. I agree that those decisions can sometimes go either way but I've got no idea what Hutton is even thinking about there. I think it would have taken some finish to beat Guzan from the angle Walcott was getting himself into.

I think what he's thinking there is 'oh no, I've let another attacker get the wrong side of me, I can't dive in to stop him, I'll have to manhandle him'. I like Hutton, as I think I've made clear, but that was bad and stupid yesterday. 

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

At the game it seemed like a long time but having watched it back it was less than a handful of seconds. As much as it grieves me to say it he made the right decision.

Oh it was the right decision, I'm not questioning that. But it was strange behaviour from Friend. I assumed he'd taken advice from the linesman but it doesn't look like he did.

It's not a problem, as like you said it was the right decision (unfortunately). But was just weird.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think what he's thinking there is 'oh no, I've let another attacker get the wrong side of me, I can't dive in to stop him, I'll have to manhandle him'. I like Hutton, as I think I've made clear, but that was bad and stupid yesterday. 

I can't fault Hutton much at all. At least he tries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

I can't fault Hutton much at all. At least he tries.

Yes, this is how I see it too. He tries now, he'll be good in the Championship, it isn't his fault we don't have a better right-back on the books. 

EDIT: One thing Sherwood said last season which I did agree with, was that he liked players who don't hide from the ball even after they've made a mistake. Hutton committed a howler yesterday, which basically ruined the game for us, but he constantly showed for the ball afterwards, and he really should have had two assists by the full time whistle. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, this is how I see it too. He tries now, he'll be good in the Championship, it isn't his fault we don't have a better right-back on the books. 

EDIT: One thing Sherwood said last season which I did agree with, was that he liked players who don't hide from the ball even after they've made a mistake. Hutton committed a howler yesterday, which basically ruined the game for us, but he constantly showed for the ball afterwards, and he really should have had two assists by the full time whistle. 

He tries - I like.   He 1. lets a forward much more quick than himself have a clear path to the ball.  2. starts with a shoulder just edging walcott and fails to lean him right off the ball (walcott is not a tank) 3. grabs his upper body and tangles his legs from behind at the same time.  those combined = extremely stupid defending from a seasoned international.

And the call was right, but there was something funny going on in Kevin Friends mind.   He as backing out with clear no call body language till well after Guzan was holding the ball and Walcott was up dissenting.  Not a delay for possible advantage, since he delayed long past the point that was clear.  He either reacted to Walcott or to a voice in his ear.  Could have been the 4th because the AR did not appear to make any signal or talk.

all that said, I agree he did not hide from the ball afterward, and do give him credit for that.

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Lack of ability, no desire or passion and a manager that doesn't appear to have made any difference (so far, I will give him time).

We deserve to go down. Everything about the club is defeatist. We expected to lose against Arsenal and there was no fight. Looked better in second half but Arsenal were on cruise control. Bournemouth have gone out and beat Chelsea and Man Utd. Newcastle have beaten Liverpool and Spurs. I can't see us beating the likes of Norwich or Newcastle. I think we could be relegated very early. 

Im not gonna like this post for obvious reasons even though it pretty much 100% accurate! 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â