Fallout 4

Frobisher

Mine shipped on Saturday, I was hoping it would arrive today as I'm off work, the missus is at work and the kids are at school so I could have had a binge.  No luck, it will be here tomorrow hopefully but I've not got as much time to myself. 

Review aggregate thread from Reddit here.  Universal acclaim so far, but it seems to be very similar to Fallout 3.  Dunno if people were hoping for a bit more innovation or not. 

As a Bethesda game it will also run like shit on consoles. There's talk of it hitting 0 FPS on the Bone already, which is pretty damning.

I think they're perfectly playable on a pad though. The real benefit of a PC is the modding scene, which even with sine modding on console will still be better on PC. Skyrim, 4 years old now, still can be made to look astoundingly good with some community mods and a decent PC behind it, which the consoles just can't achieve.

Was settling in for umpteen minutes of a wait during install, but when this baby hits 7%, you're going to see some serious shit

OK, well, it still took ages. 

Not quite on a par with Last of Us, but a doozy of a prologue 

Edited by hogso

A number of reviews pointing out the lack of clarity on dialogue choices leading to unintended outcomes, this was precisely what I was worried about with the shift to a voiced protagonist. Not cool. :( Other than that all seems well save for the Bethesda engine jank that rightly or wrongly just comes with the territory. 

No post for me today so should hopefully get my hands on it tomorrow. Bobblehead showed up today though. Not as well made as the fallout 3 one but still a nice thing to have. I'll have a peek on ebay later to decide if its worth keeping.

Edited by flamingsombrero

A number of reviews pointing out the lack of clarity on dialogue choices leading to unintended outcomes, this was precisely what I was worried about with the shift to a voiced protagonist. Not cool. :( 

Like in LA Noire?  The disconnect between dialogue choice and what your guy said when you selected it was jarring at times.   You'd pick an innocuous looking one which suggested that you might have a little bit of doubt over their version of events and your character would yell YOU **** LYING WHORE, I'LL CUT YOU IF YOU DON'T TELL ME THE TRUTH NEXT TIME I ASK! 

• Like 1

I'll be getting it tonight and playing all night. I took the day off work tomorrow so I'll play a good 8-10 hours and give a preliminary review for anyone that is curious or hesitant on purchasing. 

Edited by Czechlad
typo

Having watched the GB Quick Look, yep that's a Fallout game. I like the adjustments they've made, especially as they seem to have tinkered with the shooting mechanics to make it more enjoyable and viable as a genuine shooter.  You can tell the bones of the game are old though, and it looks a little tired, even with the 4 years on Skyrim. It'll be polished by the community in a few days of release.

Really want to play it though. I've got a doubt about it in the back of my mind as I dearly wanted to love 3 and ended up not going on with it somehow, so it's a concern this would go the same way...

I had to turn that quick look off. I made it to about 20 minutes which consisted of about 17 minutes of them poking around in menus and Jeff accidentally ejecting the disc from the PS4 and stopping the game.  I've already ordered it so I didn't want to let them put me off any further. 

For those who have played the first 2 hours or so.

Damn the building thing is insane, i was expecting just one building you upgrade to the next tier not a whole damn town i can place single objects in a massive area in.

Edited by Bradd92

I had to turn that quick look off. I made it to about 20 minutes which consisted of about 17 minutes of them poking around in menus and Jeff accidentally ejecting the disc from the PS4 and stopping the game.  I've already ordered it so I didn't want to let them put me off any further. 

It gets better.

It's very much 80 mins of Jeff pootling about in Fallout though, with little of consequence done, though. I can't decide if that's the purest quick look they've ever done, or if it was a pointless exercise in showing that Bethesda, shockingly, made Fallout 3.5... 

The one thing that i'm hoping it has, is the huge open map style of New Vegas rather than the huge map with closed areas and invisible walls of Fallout 3.

That was the one thing that really put me off 3, I didn't like the fact that the open world was in fact largely smoke and mirrors and it seemed to be a series of large interconnected areas rather than the 'stick a point somewhere on the map and off you go' approach of NV (and Skyrim).

Really looking forward to playing it anyway. The sense of humour and sense of exploration are massive selling points to the series and it looks as though this entry retains both.

Edited by Designer1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â