The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Don't know how it would translate to seats but I can see the next election having 4 parties on roughly 25% of the vote each.  

Big Lib Dem gains, a smaller Labour majority, Reform gains at the expense of Labour, the Tories worse off than they are now.

(the Tory / Reform vote would spread much thinner across a wider area and see them coming second and third in loads of seats behind either the Lib Dem or Labour winner. An increase of that magnitude to the Lib Dem vote share would see them take loads of seats that the Tories narrowly hung on to in July). 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Don't know how it would translate to seats but I can see the next election having 4 parties on roughly 25% of the vote each.  

Unless Tories and Reform do a deal not to compete against each other, I can't see them getting a combined 50% of seats. With Jenrick and Badenoch in charge they are essentially the same as reform

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Reported in the media that "unemployed obese people are to be given weight loss jabs to help get them back to work".

I saw that and felt unconvinced. All those cake loving jobless will be given the magic jab, lose weight, then report to a shitty office, get depressed about their lives and eat cake to make it better.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Really? You think people are thinking those Tories weren't so bad after all? 

Partly that, in addition to an awful lot of Labour voters will just be put off voting at all

@OutByEaster? may be right that they do all of the unpopular shit early on and then rebuild confidence closer to the next GE

But this is not what you'd expect to see 3 months after an absolute landslide victory, and they're going to take another pounding with the budget. This is only one poll, but for Starmer to have a lower favourability than a lame duck leader of the opposition that he's just defeated speaks volumes about how badly the start of this term has gone.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/labours-poll-lead-ends-after-934-days/

Happy 100 days of Labour being in power! To mark this auspicious occasion, the British electorate have decided to give Keir Starmer a present that he really did not want – the end of Labour’s lead in the polls after a whopping 934 days. Yes, that’s right: the Starmer army have led in every single survey since March 2022 when Boris Johnson was gripped by his partygate woes. The subsequent Liz Truss debacle saw Labour’s lead climb to 30 points, with Rishi Sunak regularly suffering 20 point deficits. Yet after less than four months in office, that trend has now been completely reversed. Guess governing is harder than it looks eh Keir…

The fateful poll by More in Common was conducted earlier this week, in the wake of the party conference season. It found Labour and the Conservatives tied on 27 per cent each, with Reform scoring a strong third with an impressive 21 per cent and the Lib Dems climbing two points to 13 per cent. It is Labour's lowest percentage in any poll since November 2019 – back when Jeremy Corbyn was still leading the party and Keir Starmer was insisting he was his 'friend'. The Prime Minister's own net approval rating has meanwhile fallen a further five points: his net approval now sits at -38, below Rishi Sunak and down 49 points from his post election high. How low can they go in the next 1,726 days?

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

The budget on the 30th October will give a really good indication on what type of Labour Party we will be governed by. My clients are really nervous and all sorts of rumours are flying around re capital gains tax, IHT, pensions etc. Reality is that Labour can afford to be political with this budget and recover. I don’t think it will be Liz Truss esque but I expect a couple of big changes if they are to fill this ‘hole’.

The Guilts market suggests they are expecting very close to Truss esque 

guess the 30th will reveal what's real and what's just rumours though 

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

in addition to an awful lot of Labour voters will just be put off voting at all

That happened last time - result - record victory

I'm serious btw. Labour's traditional urban voters didn't turnout in big numbers at the last election

You can look at that two ways, either they deserted the party or they just didn't see the need because Labour were assured victory.

I think it's a bit from both columns. 

Something I haven't seen speculated is the effect of Starmer's not rejoining the EU speech about a week before polling. That is when Labour numbers started to nosedive.

I'm still seeing a LibDem opposition next time out wfiw (still think its a possibility this parliament if the Tories get any worse - the One Nation -> LibDem defection is still a possibility)

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm still seeing a LibDem opposition next time out wfiw (still think its a possibility this parliament if the Tories get any worse - the One Nation -> LibDem defection is still a possibility)

And this thing as well:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The Guilts market suggests they are expecting very close to Truss esque 

guess the 30th will reveal what's real and what's just rumours though 

I just can’t see it being that bad. I think they are purposefully preparing people for the worst so that their few hair raising changes pass by quite amicably. They will just say ‘see we are not that bad’. My big worry is that they crash the AIM market. That would be terrible for the ‘party of business’

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Well I guess it's how it's reported. You've done a daily mail summary of the story.

Not at all, it's all over different media, the beeb, ITV, the radio etc etc.

Depends on how selective people are in "consuming" the news I suppose. If someone relies on the Morning Star or the Guardian for their news, they will get a different spin on the news compared with other papers........nothing really new there though, been like that for ever and always will be 😉

7 hours ago, Jareth said:

I saw that and felt unconvinced. All those cake loving jobless will be given the magic jab, lose weight, then report to a shitty office, get depressed about their lives and eat cake to make it better.

I agree, there is a need to tackle the reasons of the obesity epidemic though, not wait until they are obese, it's really too late by then. Prevention is the key word. However, rubbish (fast) food is cheap and not exactly a healthy option if regularly consumed. 

Been mentioned before about sugar tax on drinks and food, but then that makes the food that the poorest tend to purchase more expensive. It is a sort of circular argument isn't it?

Obesity doesn't end there, it leads to heart disease, diabetes and problems with joints such as knees etc. The NHS has enough to deal with, without self inflicted health issues.

It is a huge problem to solve isn't it ?

41 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I agree, there is a need to tackle the reasons of the obesity epidemic though, not wait until they are obese, it's really too late by then. Prevention is the key word. However, rubbish (fast) food is cheap and not exactly a healthy option if regularly consumed. 

Been mentioned before about sugar tax on drinks and food, but then that makes the food that the poorest tend to purchase more expensive. It is a sort of circular argument isn't it?

Obesity doesn't end there, it leads to heart disease, diabetes and problems with joints such as knees etc. The NHS has enough to deal with, without self inflicted health issues.

It is a huge problem to solve isn't it ?

Yes, we do need to try and stop the cause, but we are where we are. 

Pretty much all news sources of different flavours are reporting this in a controversial way though, trying to make it a big story. 

It's not forcing fat people to have a jab to get into work. It's not going to be the norm or the only way of doing things. 

These drugs ALREADY prescribed to obese people so it's not even experimental or a massive departure from what already happens. 

It is merely a TRIAL, to track people given the drug to see if it does help them get fit enough to return to work. 

3 years from now when the trial is ended they will know more about the effect it has on people and their ability to return to work. We won't have any idea about if it is or isn't helpful until a trial takes place and the results monitored. 

It's quite possible that it will have very little effect and it's dropped. 

MY QUESTION though is how differently this would be reported if it was eg an asthma drug being trialled to see if it helps people back into work who suffer from chronic asthma? I think it would be reported very differently and most people would say it was a great thing.  Or an injection to reduce cravings for alcohol in alcoholics. 

What's at play here is people's preconceptions about overweight people and failure to see obesity as a disease.  It's just as damaging and costly as alcohol addiction to an individual and to the NHS. 

It seems that to report it in a shocking way is acceptable for an obesity drug compared to another illness. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I’m not sure the controversy is over a drug that can help people lose weight.

Perhaps it’s the selection of people that could be returned to work. Putting economic value above medical need or quality of life or whatever. If it’s not potentially getting you back to work, you’re not on the trial. 

Apparently the tories considered it, and thought it would look unethical.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are there people out there who want to work but are too overweight? I expect it’s probably yes and so this is good news for them.

I am overweight and don’t particularly want to work. I also like my lifestyle. What are the options please?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am overweight and don’t particularly want to work. I also like my lifestyle. What are the options please?

1) Ring the GP and book the next available appointment 

2) Spend the next couple of months getting so fat you can’t work

3) Your appointment is now due and you can ask to go onto the scheme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh forget injecting lazy workday fatties, we’re all saved… the government are considering making it law that all electronic devices must be charged by the same lead. 

Who is gonna tell ‘em that the EU already did that for them. Performative bollocks that one. 

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh forget injecting lazy workday fatties, we’re all saved… the government are considering making it law that all electronic devices must be charged by the same lead. 

Who is gonna tell ‘em that the EU already did that for them. Performative bollocks that one. 

The EU rules aren't ratified in UK law are they? There's a decent argument that the EU is such a large market that they'll take care of it for us, but manufacturers that get away with their bespoke bullshit in the US and other international markets might decide to try the same trick here, so it can't hurt to codify it in UK law. If nothing else, it stops our market being flooded by devices that are no longer compliant in the EU.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â