The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, if only there were ports and coast line and population centres close to Europe other than the Shetlands and Barry Island. 

It’s just so self perpetuating, this formula for working out ‘appropriate’. Oh look 100 years of investing in the south east, now any expansion has to be in the south east, can’t be helped, it’s the appropriate location. Be grateful for the crumbs and don’t forget to send us your graduates. 

Bloody lucky we’re not Ireland or Spain, how the hell are they still clinging on to survival being so far from Rotterdam?

Those docks darn sarf get the investment they get in part because of location and population and demand and existing infrastructure for unloading and onwards transporting. Ports like Milford Haven get investment because of their unique, or close to unique attributes. Aberdeen got oil investment because of location. Wales gets wind power investment because of location. Government should try and facilitate investors and if necessary state funding and broadly speaking they do.  I agree that there’s been an imbalance for decades where the South East has disproportionately benefited and that’s one thing that Labour is addressing (they say). But it’s not going to be a “not a penny more of state or private investment for them, until everywhere else has caught up”.

There is massive amounts of investment going into Hull for wind power which is also creating more green sector jobs and investment. It's becoming a real green energy corridor.   Obviously no one is talking about that as a good news story. 

Scotland getting lots of investment also for wind power but also for associated cabling manufacturing to make UK a world leader of producing these massive interconnector cables which are going to cross all over the globe in future. 

Battery factory opening in The West Country, rumoured to be another in Coventry. 

That's just stuff off the top of my head without thinking about it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

Those docks darn sarf get the investment they get in part because of location and population and demand and existing infrastructure for unloading and onwards transporting. Ports like Milford Haven get investment because of their unique, or close to unique attributes. Aberdeen got oil investment because of location. Wales gets wind power investment because of location. Government should try and facilitate investors and if necessary state funding and broadly speaking they do.  I agree that there’s been an imbalance for decades where the South East has disproportionately benefited and that’s one thing that Labour is addressing (they say). But it’s not going to be a “not a penny more of state or private investment for them, until everywhere else has caught up”.

Also Liverpool now handles 45% of all US / UK Goods trade through the docks which received massive investment not so long ago to enable it to take the biggest container ships in the world. 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Also Liverpool now handles 45% of all US / UK Goods trade through the docks which received massive investment not so long ago to enable it to take the biggest container ships in the world. 

No, that can’t be true, it’s not near the London people and the money so couldn’t possibly be done.

Our function is to supply London with resources so London can make money and trickle a little bit of it back.

Be grateful, be compliant, accept.

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, that can’t be true, it’s not near the London people and the money so couldn’t possibly be done.

Our function is to supply London with resources so London can make money and trickle a little bit of it back.

Be grateful, be compliant, accept.

It’s on the coast facing that America place. My whole point is that it’s very shallow to complain about specific locations getting investment which comes because of their unique location and infrastructure as some kind of plot to give everything to the south east and deprive the North or Wales or Scotland or Cornwall. Where you are absolutely right, though is that there has long been a disproportionate and unjustified instinct to target investment at the south east and London in the absence of those unique attributes, just seemingly because that’s where the politicians spend their time and that’s where the money folk live. Osborne talked about correcting that, but didn’t. Labour has said it will actually do that. It remains to be seen if they manage it.

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s on the coast facing that America place. My whole point is that it’s very shallow to complain about specific locations getting investment which comes because of their unique location and infrastructure as some kind of plot to give everything to the south east and deprive the North or Wales or Scotland or Cornwall. Where you are absolutely right, though is that there has long been a disproportionate and unjustified instinct to target investment at the south east and London in the absence of those unique attributes, just seemingly because that’s where the politicians spend their time and that’s where the money folk live. Osborne talked about correcting that, but didn’t. Labour has said it will actually do that. It remains to be seen if they manage it.

This isn’t a shallow complaint about one specific investment. 
That they have the infrastructure and are therefore the appropriate logical location for the next investment is no accident. Port Talbot is a huge coastal location that just happens to now have thousands being made unemployed. If only there was some use for a vast port with thousands of people. Except, bit of a problem the motorway infrastructure was reduced to 2 lanes there as they didn’t need more investment than that all the way out there. They haven’t electrified the railway out there either, that investment wasn't needed. They didn’t build that renewable energy power station there either, that investment wasn’t needed as the steel production was being run down. Now, all those redundant workers on the coast aren’t suitable for the next investment as the last three investments weren’t necessary.
If you want to call it a ‘plot’ that’s your wording. For me, a plot would have to be secretive or unseen in some way. It’s not a plot, that is to trivialise it and suggests conspiracy theories and silliness.

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This isn’t a shallow complaint about one specific investment

It started off that way, though I accept the discussion has evolved. It started off with a complaint that P&O were going to spend a billion quid upgrading some docks near London, (though they then said they might not because Labour was rude about them) and that P&O are clearings in the woods anyway and why is the South East getting their money.

Anyway, as I understand it, the Labour government is holding some kind of summit to attract investment to the UK, hopefully the wider UK, not just the bottom right hand bit of it and that seems like a good thing.

• Like 1

One of the biggest ports in the UK, Felixtowe, is about 1hr away from where I live.

Massive container ships arrive daily, they all unload/load the containers and the vast majority end up on lorries which then clog up one of the very few East to West major roads in the UK, I.e. the dual carriageway A14.

Some do travel by a backwater railway line.

It's not just building or upgrading a port, wherever that is, it's how to move the stuff to and from the port in an efficient and environmentally friendly way. It's the supporting infrastructure that needs addressing as well.

• Like 1

“Where it is stopping us building the homes, the datacentres, warehouses, grid connectors, roads, train lines, you name it then mark my words – we will get rid of it. We will rip out the bureaucracy that blocks investment and we will make sure that every regulator in this country take growth as seriously as this room does.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/oct/14/keir-starmer-promise-slash-red-tape-investment-summit

Just what we need, regulators to be focused on economic growth rather than...the thing they're meant to regulate. For **** sake.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2024 at 09:32, sidcow said:

There is massive amounts of investment going into Hull for wind power which is also creating more green sector jobs and investment. It's becoming a real green energy corridor.   Obviously no one is talking about that as a good news story. 

Scotland getting lots of investment also for wind power but also for associated cabling manufacturing to make UK a world leader of producing these massive interconnector cables which are going to cross all over the globe in future. 

Battery factory opening in The West Country, rumoured to be another in Coventry. 

That's just stuff off the top of my head without thinking about it. 

probably because they were all setup by the previous government :P 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

probably because they were all setup by the previous government :P 

Yeah, it's been moved to the UK infrastructure thread as it had morphed into questions about uk infrastructure investment rather than Labour Party stuff. 

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s such a trope.

A half decent journalist will ask him to name an obvious example.

I asked someone who was pleased with this for an example, and they came up with scrapping Sunday trading laws and restrictions on selling knives to under 18s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are exactly the same 

https://www.energylivenews.com/2024/10/14/labours-net-zero-policies-people-can-see-we-mean-business-2/

Labour’s net zero policies: “People can see we mean business!”

Energy Minister Lord Hunt tells us net zero is absolutely critical for the UK

In the past few months, Labour has fired out policy after policy with Ed Miliband leading the charge.

We’ve seen the birth of Great British Energy (GBE) – the state-owned energy giant set to turbocharge renewables – and the government has pledged to decarbonise the grid by 2030.

Offshore wind is on the march, as is CCS and of course the ban on new fossil fuel cars is back. We’ve got heating targets, more nuclear and a nationalised system operator for the grid and much more, phew!

“So these are not nice things to do. This is a coherent plan which is essential for our country and which at the same time we can help grow the economy and also, you know, provide many more highly skilled jobs.”

“I mean, people can see we mean business. You know, we’re going to carry on making further announcements in terms of the rest of the policy that we need to develop. The industrial strategy itself will show that we are very, very interested and focussed on growing the economy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Regardless of any actual opinion of what is currently happening... I'm presuming that is Grenfell Tower on fire in the image?

Grenfell if anything was a failure to enforce current "red tape" so the image use is f***ing stupid on a number of levels

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â