The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Or because he's already sat in the HoL for Labour and has a good working relationship with the PM in waiting?

I agree it deserves some scrutiny, but on the face on this one, I think it's nothing, personally.

Agreed. It's quite similar to when that Zak Goldsmith Tory billionaire MP /HoL bod let Bunter stay in his Caribbean holiday home. Rich people can be very generous to their friends, without it being crooked or wanting something in return. 

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There is a fairly simple defence, tbh - he wasn't given 20 grand in cash, a very wealthy Labour peer (same bloke who gave the clothes) was given access to use a property that would cost a person on the street without connections that kind of sum

Fair enough 

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is Waheed Alli, what can Starmer / Labour give him in return?

He already has all the access to power he could possibly need

He's been a Labour peer over 20 years, he is their chief fundraiser, he really probably can call the PM up and get him to answer, 

Also an entrepreneur with lots of business interests it doesn’t do any harm to grease the palm of the PM. 

He’d have a good working relationship with me if he gave me cash and gifts worth tens of thousands of pounds too.

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

It's amazing how people will twist and turn when it's their guy under scrutiny. 

I've given Starmer no end of shit in the last 3 months, including over some of the gifts received. It's just "hey, leader of my party, you can use my second home while there's loads of media camped outside of yours during the GE campaign" doesn't look particularly corrupt to me.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

I've given Starmer no end of shit in the last 3 months, including over some of the gifts received. It's just "hey, leader of my party, you can use my second home while there's loads of media camped outside of yours during the GE campaign" doesn't look particularly corrupt to me.

If it was as simple as that why did he feel the need to bullshit the reasoning? It turns out his son's exams don't coincide with the dates. 

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

If it was as simple as that why did he feel the need to bullshit the reasoning? It turns out his son's exams don't coincide with the dates. 

Good question, I hadn't seen that mentioned. See how much more persuasive it is debating the substance rather than having a pop at people's intentions :) 

For anyone else curious, the dates were from 29 May 2024 to 13 July 2024, starting after the exams, and extending a month beyond them.

If I were inclined to be charitable, I could see there being no need to move out of the family home right from the start of the exams - the election was called on May 22nd after exams started, so maybe they thought they could ride it out and the press attention became too much.

Will be interesting to see if anyone puts the question to him.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Lots of own goals here. 
It looks like Starmer wanted a big statement and very political policy change to start his tenure but it’s backfiring. 

Does he double down? Or claim to be the perfect leader who listens and will therefore scrap the idea.

No way should he back down, giving fuel payments to wealthy pensioners is one of the biggest wastes of money the government has.  He can get away with doing as many unpopular things right now as he wants and hope within a couple of years we will be feeling the benefits well before the next election.

• Like 2

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

He can get away with doing as many unpopular things right now as he wants and hope within a couple of years we will be feeling the benefits well before the next election.

This is key. The reputation is starting to take a hit, and at the next election, he won't be able to win by just not being as shit as the tories, he needs people to feel like their lives are better, and the country needs to be better. The last GE was essentially him walking on stage, looking around, and telling the audience to look at the **** state of everything, that isn't going to wash next time.

Them talking about 'needing 10 years' worries me, because if they don't have some convincing results in 5, they're not getting 10.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is key. The reputation is starting to take a hit, and at the next election, he won't be able to win by just not being as shit as the tories, he needs people to feel like their lives are better, and the country needs to be better. The last GE was essentially him walking on stage, looking around, and telling the audience to look at the **** state of everything, that isn't going to wash next time.

Them talking about 'needing 10 years' worries me, because if they don't have some convincing results in 5, they're not getting 10.

All stacking up in favour of the LibDems :D 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's why I think he has to put income tax up now, on the wealthiest and middle earners.  Put a shitload of money into the NHS, clear the backlogs of appointments, pay the staff properly, make it possible to actually see a GP etc.  Within a couple of years if people see positive results then all will be forgiven for the initial pain.  Use the massive majority they have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

The whole thing stinks let’s be honest. 

It smells...but after the pure corruption of the last lot, £15bn worth of questionable covid contracts, it's quite a sweet smell.

Basic fact is we have all been so used of the smell of pure sewage,  literally,  from the other lot this seems like peanuts. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

There is a fairly simple defence, tbh - he wasn't given 20 grand in cash, a very wealthy Labour peer (same bloke who gave the clothes) was given access to use a property that would cost a person on the street without connections that kind of sum

the defence falters a wee bit  when you check the dates of the accommodation  29th May 2024 to 13th July  v dates of GCSE exams  9th May to 19th June 

but ,  I'm sure I'll read the rest of the thread in minute and find someone will have said its not as bad as something Boris did when he accepted a gift of accommodation 

Edit :

They did , VT never disappoints  :D 

and I also see the dates were covered as well  ... so as you were 

Edited by tonyh29

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the defence falters a wee bit  when you check the dates of the accommodation  29th May 2024 to 13th July  v dates of GCSE exams  9th May to 19th June 

but ,  I'm sure I'll read the rest of the thread in minute and find someone will have said its not as bad as something Boris did when he accepted a gift of accommodation 

Edit :

They did , VT never disappoints  :D 

and I also see the dates were covered as well  ... so as you were 

You know that advice.... :D 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Is @tonyh29 the last person in Britain using ceefax?

it feels like I'm the only person on VT actually working rather than keeping up with the news on the latest labour scandal 

Edited by tonyh29

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's going to be really upset when tomorrow's carrier pigeon arrives.

not if its a delicious plump-breasted pigeon one  

51 minutes ago, tinker said:

It smells...but after the pure corruption of the last lot, £15bn worth of questionable covid contracts, it's quite a sweet smell.

Basic fact is we have all been so used of the smell of pure sewage,  literally,  from the other lot this seems like peanuts. 

It’s only been a few weeks, give ‘em chance.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â