The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Yeah, perhaps Zelensky would get more assistance if he rocked up in some Hugo Boss.

It’s low level stuff, but I’d expect someone earning £13,000 a month to be able to buy a couple of decent suits.

I’m probably just an old fashioned kind of person, I think I’d find it a bit weird if a friend or colleague was buying my missus clothes. But then I’m probably just not a cosmopolitan Londoner type. They probably all do it.

I’ve sponsored a player’s shirt, and at the end of the season, I get something back. I expect this is a similar arrangement.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, perhaps Zelensky would get more assistance if he rocked up in some Hugo Boss.

It’s low level stuff, but I’d expect someone earning £13,000 a month to be able to buy a couple of decent suits.

I’m probably just an old fashioned kind of person, I think I’d find it a bit weird if a friend or colleague was buying my missus clothes. But then I’m probably just not a cosmopolitan Londoner type. They probably all do it.

I’ve sponsored a player’s shirt, and at the end of the season, I get something back. I expect this is a similar arrangement.

What do you think Lord Alli could gain from Kier Statmer’s government? Serious question btw, because having looked him up, apart from being dropped into a senior management role in the BBC I’m struggling to see what’s in it for him. (and given the previous Tory donor having to resign, it’s also highly unlikely)
He’s essentially a TV producer who also campaigns on gay rights and education.

Starmer is more likely to be the major recipient in the relationship. I genuinely dont see what Alli has to gain. He’s been a Labour Peer for 20 years and in the party member for longer. He doesn’t really fit the profile of someone that is after something.

He also runs the Labour Party fundraising campaigns and since Starmer appointed him has donated £300k to the party. He’s nowhere near the top of the donors list either

This is no Frank Hester situation

1 minute ago, bickster said:

What do you think Lord Alli could gain from Kier Statmer’s government?

It's a very good question.

Why of all of the people to donate things to did he choose the prime minister and his wife?

And why did he have unrestricted access to 10 Downing Street without a pass?

It's not clear just yet what his angle is, if indeed he has one, but I find it quite unlikely that he's donated so much out of the goodness of his heart, or that it's coincidence that he was given an unusually generous level of access to No 10.

I think we are in general agreement on how this should *actually* work, in that our politicians should be better paid so that simply banning gifts is more viable. On this specific case, I'm not sure if it's just terrible optics or if there's more to it. Even if the electorate could stomach better salaries, there's not much chance of these greedy bastards voting to make it harder to accept bribes though, so this is how it will be.

• Like 1

https://members.parliament.uk/member/4514/registeredinterests

Makes interesting reading.

Half the Premier League has gifted him free hospitality packages (not us, Heck isn't pissing away money on bribing this sock cooker), including gifts from the PL itself. Nothing to do with trying to buy access to the PM for a few hours to talk about his plans for an independent football regulator, I'm sure, they're just very generous and know he likes the football.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

What do you think Lord Alli could gain from Kier Statmer’s government? Serious question btw, because having looked him up, apart from being dropped into a senior management role in the BBC I’m struggling to see what’s in it for him. (and given the previous Tory donor having to resign, it’s also highly unlikely)
He’s essentially a TV producer who also campaigns on gay rights and education.

Starmer is more likely to be the major recipient in the relationship. I genuinely dont see what Alli has to gain. He’s been a Labour Peer for 20 years and in the party member for longer. He doesn’t really fit the profile of someone that is after something.

He also runs the Labour Party fundraising campaigns and since Starmer appointed him has donated £300k to the party. He’s nowhere near the top of the donors list either

This is no Frank Hester situation

We can accept there really is such a thing as a free lunch? And this is just an on going version of a perpetual free lunch?

That of all the people to just be straight up innocently benevolent to, he drew the PM and wife out of the hat?

That’s cool, and bloody lucky for Lady Starmer.

Or perhaps he’s just an old school pervert and gets the stuff posted back once it’s been worn. Nothing more to it than one of those two options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Answering a genuine question with another question doesn’t answer the question does it?

We can all do that and even the least clever of us does it (regularly). 
Might be a better look to answer the question or not bother if you don’t have an answer

I but I’ll  attempt an answer to the pair of similar questions. Why pick Starmer? He’s the leader of the party he belongs to and acts as chief fundraiser for. He can hardly be ringing up the Sainsbury family and asking them to donate, when he as a multi-millionaire hasn’t put his hands in his own pockets can he.Why pick Starmer and his wife? He was probably asked to. Like I said earlier the clothes required for the job should come out of the public purse but they don’t. I reckon if they bought all their own clothes for the job to the level expected by the media they’d be running at a loss for the job after a year. But then you’d have the problem of people complaining about the public purse being wasted by exactly the same people that would call them tramps for wearing the same outfit twice or wearing something cheap.

Again, answer my question with something remotely tangible that Lord Alli gains? Because I genuinely can’t see what it is. innuendo isn't an answer.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Again, answer my question with something remotely tangible that Lord Alli gains? Because I genuinely can’t see what it is. innuendo isn't an answer.

So unless we're mindreaders, there's no conversation to be had? **** me.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So unless we're mindreaders, there's no conversation to be had? **** me.

Have a look at him, what he does, what he campaigns on, what interests him. I don't see what he gains.

Better laws on Gay rights? More money in the Education budget?

Its pretty obvious with a lot of donors, especially Tory one's but in Lord Alli's case what does he gain?

There may well be something but it's not exactly blindingly obvious

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Answering a genuine question with another question doesn’t answer the question does it?

We can all do that and even the least clever of us does it (regularly). 
Might be a better look to answer the question or not bother if you don’t have an answer

I but I’ll  attempt an answer to the pair of similar questions. Why pick Starmer? He’s the leader of the party he belongs to and acts as chief fundraiser for. He can hardly be ringing up the Sainsbury family and asking them to donate, when he as a multi-millionaire hasn’t put his hands in his own pockets can he.Why pick Starmer and his wife? He was probably asked to. Like I said earlier the clothes required for the job should come out of the public purse but they don’t. I reckon if they bought all their own clothes for the job to the level expected by the media they’d be running at a loss for the job after a year. But then you’d have the problem of people complaining about the public purse being wasted by exactly the same people that would call them tramps for wearing the same outfit twice or wearing something cheap.

So I need to know the inner workings of the networking of donors and sponsors around a government brought in largely becuase people were fed up with sleaze and self aggrandisement? I’m not sure that’s how it works.

But I know how it shouldn’t work, and that’s access all areas for people buying clothes for the wife of a prime minister who earns a six figure salary but has someone else buying clothes for him. Sounds completely legit that, doesn’t it? We can’t allow bribes and influence for stuff we like, or stuff we can’t quite put our finger on, it’s right or it’s wrong, not wrong if a tory gets a free suit but otherwise probably cool so we can give it a pass.

I don’t need to know the answer to know a question needs asking. 

We got rid of the tories because they were lining their own pockets. Change though, we all voted for change, apparently. I wonder how many thought that change would be free clothes for Lady Starmer and an end to the winter fuel allowance.

There’s always a quote with Starmer. This one from a week before the election.

“handouts from the state do not nurture the same sense of self-reliant dignity as a fair wage”.

Big Issue

I guess there’s a subtle difference between hand outs from the state, and the dignity in someone else buying your clothes. 

• Like 1

Sleaze is sleaze, regardless of the colour of the tie.

Nobody is putting money in Starmers pocket, or putting a shirt on his back (literally) out of the goodness of their own heart. It's for influence. It's bad.

maybe Blue Peter can do a Bring and buy appeal  ...

Please help the son of a toolmaker find clothes for his family , every Louis Vuitton bag donated will go to a vulnerable wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy5yy13ng33o

Junior doctors in England have accepted the government’s offer of a 22% pay rise over two years, ending their long-running dispute.

Members of the British Medical Association backed the deal with 66% voting in favour. Nearly 46,000 took part in the online ballot.

It brings to an end the 18-month dispute, which saw junior doctors take part in 11 separate strikes.

But the BMA warned it expected more above-inflation pay rises in future years or there would be "consequences".

The offer was made by Health Secretary Wes Streeting in late July – just weeks after Labour won the election.

He said he was “pleased” it had been accepted, ending the “most devastating dispute in the health service’s history”.

“This marks the necessary first step in our mission to cut waiting lists, reform the broken health service, and make it fit for the future," Streeting added

• Like 1

Sir Keir Starmer’s chief of staff received a pay rise after the election which means she is now paid more than the prime minister.

The BBC has been told that Sue Gray asked for and was given a salary of £170,000 - £3,000 more than the PM and more than any cabinet minister – or her Conservative predecessor.

bbc

It is strange (to me at least) how these people earn more than the PM

Starmer took more in hospitality and gifts than all his predecessors combined since they started recording it. 

Even in pretty low level services jobs people will be taking training regularly that says on essence you can't take any gift from anyone that goes over a negligible value because it's considered to give, at best, an appearance of impropriety. 

Meanwhile the PM is taking in tens of thousands of pounds in gifts and hospitality.

Just now, Chindie said:

Starmer took more in hospitality and gifts than all his predecessors combined since they started recording it. 

Even in pretty low level services jobs people will be taking training regularly that says on essence you can't take any gift from anyone that goes over a negligible value because it's considered to give, at best, an appearance of impropriety. 

Meanwhile the PM is taking in tens of thousands of pounds in gifts and hospitality.

For us anything over £100 must be recorded and accepted only with line manager approval.

Unfortunately I get f-all so it makes no difference.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

bbc

It is strange (to me at least) how these people earn more than the PM

The PM is one of the worst paid in the Western World. We're actually setting our politicians up to get headlines like this

Politicians pay needs looking at with sensible adult eyes, they are all poorly paid

That people at the head of government are expected to dress appropriately when representing the country but do so out of their own pocket is also silly

You aren't going to get the calibre of people a country deserves to be running the country by paying them so poorly in comparison to the private sector

The system encourages sleaze

And before anyone says it, yes outlaw second incomes if you are a member of parliament just pay them at the level that will encourage some talented people to go into politics

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â