The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I guess my take would be that a) it was in her manifesto so it wasn't done by stealth  and b)  they didn't actually remove it , 

where as Kier Shipman actually has removed it despite opening using it for political gain along with his MP's not so long ago 

My main criticism of the last government is that they lied when they made their promises and my contempt for politics is no way diminished because both the major parties do it with impunity.

Lying to parliament is the ultimate no-no but lying to the electorate carries no sanction whatsoever.

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

Why isn't the headline about Starmer's staff? Starmer is responsible regardless of whom actually filled out the form. 

Personally I don't much care about the issue, seems like nothing. But he was either too busy or didn't record it for a reason - he should say why it happened. His reasoning is that he hadn't realised it should be recorded until now. It's a bit bonkers as a reason because a gift is a gift whether it's money or not, and he would know. Begs the question what else has he misunderstood. 

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You've got to laugh that the political class's idea of anticorruption is to simply publicly disclose which bribes they've accepted.

Imagine the state of the newspapers if the PMs wife turned up looking a show at a state function

And yes I agree with you but this kind of thing where people are expected to dress for occasions should come out of the public purse but they don't because the media would have a field day with that too

• Like 1

Just now, Jareth said:

But he was either too busy or didn't record it for a reason - he should say why it happened

Tell us you haven't read the quotes without saying it. An explanation has been given. It might be bollocks but it isn't either of the two possibilities you've stated are the only binary options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

he should say why it happened

He has, I think. Something about he was told by the reporting people that a previous gift to his wife, he didn’t need to declare. Think I saw that in my newsfeed

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Tell us you haven't read the quotes without saying it. An explanation has been given. It might be bollocks but it isn't either of the two possibilities you've stated are the only binary options.

He said he's recorded financial donations, but was told gifts also need to be recorded. How does he not know this? I'd like to hear the real reason he didn't declare the gifts. Unless he's said that? 

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He said he's recorded financial donations, but was told gifts also need to be recorded. How does he not know this? I'd like to hear the real reason he didn't declare the gifts. Unless he's said that? 

That doesn't match any quotes I've read

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

That doesn't match any quotes I've read

Via Lammy 

The prime minister did declare funds that he received from Lord Alli. 

The prime minister reportedly approached parliamentary authorities on Tuesday to make a late declaration after being given fresh advice on what items needed to be disclosed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8djply3z18o

So he knew he needed to declare money. But got confused over gifts. 

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Via Lammy 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8djply3z18o

So he knew he needed to declare money. But got confused over gifts. 

Neither of those are quotes and neither of those indicate what you claim they do, in fact the last bit of the second quoted BBC content is the give away here but you seem to be ignoring it

Just now, bickster said:

Neither of those are quotes and neither of those indicate what you claim they do, in fact the last bit of the second quote is the give away here but you seem to be ignoring it

Ok, you don't get it, can't be arsed to keep explaining the obvious

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Ok, you don't get it, can't be arsed to keep explaining the obvious

I don't get why you're inventing the confusion over gifts, no-one has said this that is involved. Yes the donation was a gift, that may not be where the change in advice given was. No-one has said what the change in advice was, it may be to do with spousal rules and not gifts, for example. You are making stuff up in your head that isn't there. Advice from office was taken, further advice taken and declaration made as a result of changed advice. 

GIven that members, and plenty of them from all sides have failed to declare on time for a whole host of reasons including the "I forgot" and nothing happens, then this really isn't the gotcha you think it is.

... and in fact in the very article you've linked to from the BBC @Jareth

Lord Alli has previously bought clothes and glasses for Sir Keir, which have been listed on his entry on the register of MPs' interests.

BBC

So it's highly unlikely to be as you suggest, that Starmer didn't know gifts had to be declared.

Even Ramsay MacDonald accepted gifts, back in 1924.

Cameron had his suits donated and as a Savile Row suit can cost around £5k for a decent one, and Starmer will need more than one, a sartorial upgrade would cost a decent chunk of dough.

The thing about expensive tailoring is that it can cover up a multitude of physical defects, including scoliosis, asymmetry and middle-age spread.

He's not what you might call good-looking and so at least when he's being photographed with a bunch of world leaders, he's not going to be the guy in the cheap suit.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â