The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

The riots were the first major test and I think they handled them as well as possible. They could have easily spread and intensified but they were nipped in the bud relatively quickly with quick arrests and severe sentences.

Various deals done to reduce strike action.

Building bridges with Europe, again, repairing the damage caused by the previous lot.

I can’t say I can see they have done much wrong. There’s bad news about the obivious need to raise large amounts of money which was always going to be the case. They’re standing firm on not raising the 3 areas of tax they promised they wouldn’t.

Can’t grumble really. It’s a difficult environment for them to walk into.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting James O'brien take on it

Broke the rules he introduced 

You'd have thought it woukd be the right wing media wouid pick up on this story but it's a left wing Journalist that has and that makes me think conflict of interest.

Edited by PaulC

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The riots were the first major test and I think they handled them as well as possible. They could have easily spread and intensified but they were nipped in the bud relatively quickly with quick arrests and severe sentences.

Various deals done to reduce strike action.

Building bridges with Europe, again, repairing the damage caused by the previous lot.

I can’t say I can see they have done much wrong. There’s bad news about the obivious need to raise large amounts of money which was always going to be the case. They’re standing firm on not raising the 3 areas of tax they promised they wouldn’t.

Can’t grumble really. It’s a difficult environment for them to walk into.

What other methods of raising tax are available to them?  I'm hoping they go ahead and raise income tax, though more for the people richer than me obviously.  I'd be happy to pay a bit more if I could see a GP rather than a phone appointment with a pharmacist in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I see Labour’s scum rogue landlord Jas Athwell MP has changed his story today, apologised and claimed he didn’t know what was going on with his mouldy properties. Apparently, he’s now as shocked as everyone else he was maximising profit at the expense of people needing a home.

Wasn't he also in breach of the regulations that he actually helped put in place?

• Like 2

On 31/08/2024 at 14:28, bickster said:

The portrait of Thatcher has moved position, that’s all.

To his bedside table?

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

What other methods of raising tax are available to them?  

VAT, fuel duty, Inheritance tax, corporation tax, stamp duty. Plenty to go at there. The risk is going too hard on things like VAT and it stifles growth and has an overall negative effect on the amount generated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

VAT, fuel duty, Inheritance tax, corporation tax, stamp duty. Plenty to go at there. The risk is going too hard on things like VAT and it stifles growth and has an overall negative effect on the amount generated.

Some of the middle earners might be brought into a higher tax band. Don't know whether what they are suggesting may not raise as much tax as they hope. Also there is the theory that giving into union demands so easily might make them a bit of a soft touch I'm the future but they needed to stop the strikes and make it more appealing for peopleto teach and become doctors etc so I understand why they did it. Time will tell. 

I also actually wonder how much of their sentences the actual rioters, protesters, social media criminals will se4vr with the prisons being full and there's knife crime virtually every day. One next to where i live Saturday night. Short sharp action to put a stop to it yes..

Edited by PaulC

Is the assault on winter fuel allowance really worth the money it will save?

Especially as they've used it as an attack line against the Tories numerous times before.

Is the winter fuel allowance a recent thing? I assumed it was something created within the last couple of years due to the big spike in energy costs. Now it has largely passed it does make sense to phase it out as difficult as that can be.

Its like many things like free meals in school holidays during a pandemic, a great idea at the time but then people get used to them and it’s difficult politically to take away when the conditions for which they were introduced no longer exist.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is the winter fuel allowance a recent thing? I assumed it was something created within the last couple of years due to the big spike in energy costs. Now it has largely passed it does make sense to phase it out as difficult as that can be.

Its like many things like free meals in school holidays during a pandemic, a great idea at the time but then people get used to them and it’s difficult politically to take away when the conditions for which they were introduced no longer exist.

Winter fuel for pensioners was introduced in 1997. Winter fuel allowance for everyone was brought in last year, when the price of gas was going through the roof due to Ukraine war

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Winter fuel for pensioners was introduced in 1997. Winter fuel allowance for everyone was brought in last year, when the price of gas was going through the roof due to Ukraine war

You mean the cost of living part to the winter fuel payment which raised the payment to £500 for under 80s and £600 for over 80s households which was introduced the winter of 2022 and got rid of this year. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

To he fair they kept it for the poorest pensioners on pension credit.

The idea to cut pensioners' fuel allowance was originally proposed by Paul Burstow, the former Lib Dem MP, who claimed that 80% of pensioners didn't need it.

So on that basis, shouldn't rich MP's who don't need it, have their salary and expenses reduced accordingly?

What a fine example for the electorate for whom he's promised a future of austerity.

Pensioners would probably feel better about it if Starmer was to scrap the law which applies to him personally, and allows him to avoid tax on his pension fund.

The legislation means Sir Keir is exempt from paying tax on pensions savings over £1m.

I am sure he doesn't need it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The idea to cut pensioners' fuel allowance was originally proposed by Paul Burstow, the former Lib Dem MP, who claimed that 80% of pensioners didn't need it.

So on that basis, shouldn't rich MP's who don't need it, have their salary and expenses reduced accordingly?

That isn't a basis of anything, that there is a false equivalence

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

My mum does not need a winter fuel allowance. She absolutely nails the heating and has plenty of money to burn. It makes complete sense to means test it and it's absolutely insane for wealthy house owners to get that extra subsidy too. 

Yes but there's many that aren't in that position so the bar has been set far too low. So a lot of poor pensioners won't ger it because they either don't qualify for pension credit or don't know how to claim it.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes but there's many that aren't in that position so the bar has been set far too low. So a lot of poor pensioners won't ger it because they either don't qualify for pension credit or don't know how to claim it.

Giving it to every single pensioner is the silliest idea ever. But means testing it well is obviously important and making sure important people don't slip through the cracks. That's the challenge, not giving it to every pensioner. I don't know if anyone is trying to use this as a 'thing' but unless they acknowledge that abundant pensioners are some of the wealthiest people in the country and that those people do not need the allowance then it's not a serious conversation. But yes, actual vulnerable pensioners must be looked after – that is the intention. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Giving it to every single pensioner is the silliest idea ever. But means testing it well is obviously important and making sure important people don't slip through the cracks. That's the challenge, not giving it to every pensioner. I don't know if anyone is trying to use this as a 'thing' but unless they acknowledge that abundant pensioners are some of the wealthiest people in the country and that those people do not need the allowance then it's not a serious conversation. But yes, actual vulnerable pensioners must be looked after – that is the intention. 

Genuine question, what if the cost of checking and testing to make sure the wealthy pensioners don’t get it, costs more than just giving it to everyone?

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Genuine question, what if the cost of checking and testing to make sure the wealthy pensioners don’t get it, costs more than just giving it to everyone?

In this instance there is no checking because it’s already being done. Is person in receipt of pension credit? If so pass go and collect £300

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â