The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well yes you are wealthy on paper. But take into account the mortgage you have to pay and general costs if you have kids most people aren't exactly rolling in it. My brother and partner live in London in a relatively cheaper area with 2 kids and earn over 100k between them but i wouldn't exactly say they have an well off lifestyle.

Would be curious to know the specifics here because it sounds as if they might have overstretched slightly?  OR your definition of a "well off lifestyle" is different to what mine would be :D

22% pay increase for junior doctors

Have to say thats a very fair offer i hope the junior doctors accept it.  Well done to labour for doing that. Not sure what took those fools before so long to come anywhere close to that.

Do wonder how they are going to pay for this though

31 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A bold move on the winter fuel allowance by sneaking it in on the hottest day of the year.  Obviously most will vote tory but that is not going to be  a popular move by having old dears freezing to death.

Here’s a policy that will kill old people , but don’t worry , most of them voted Tory and probably voted leave as well  …

Ah well that’s ok then , as you were 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to say thats a very fair offer i hope the junior doctors accept it.  Well done to labour for doing that. Not sure what took those fools before so long to come anywhere close to that.

I’m sure it was fully costed and will be paid for by Non doms , windfall tax , vat on private schools and unicorn tears 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm glad they're getting it, and hope we review this again for other staff. As a person who relies on the NHS I really worry about the quality of the staff we'd be left with if the medical staff continue to up-sticks overseas for better paid jobs or leaving for other career paths. I'd be totally screwed without them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Unless thie folks have a big property worth a few bob ... 😉

They probably need the inheritance more than anyone

If it's their parents main residence then there is currently a £1m threshold on it. There's quite a bit of room to play with inheritance tax boundaries whilst still leaving plenty of cash to set them up.

I do think generally reworking capital gains is the one though. You could also do it on a residence when someone dies. Inflationary rises in house prices would be protected, but the huge growth from years of poor policy creating housing scarcity would be taxed fairly.

The A27 is one of my pet hates so it's a shame that improvement has been cancelled, though it was only a partial solution and didn't even touch the clusterf*ck that is the Chichester bypass.   I just wish they would get on with raising everyone's tax, I'd happily pay more if it increases my chance of seeing a GP, not a phone appointment in two weeks with a pharmacist.  They can afford to be caught lying in the election with such a big majority, get it done now and people will have forgotten by the next election.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

A bold move on the winter fuel allowance by sneaking it in on the hottest day of the year.  Obviously most will vote tory but that is not going to be  a popular move by having old dears freezing to death.

I just seen this. Did labour say they were diung this in their manifesto? I didnt hear them mention it once in debates

8 months ago, Labour MP and now Chief Secretary to the Treasury, wanted reassurance from the tories they wouldn’t be taking the winter fuel payment from some pensioners.

Last week, you’ll recall, the MP that was Labour’s Director of Policy, had previously called the two child cap ‘immoral’.

I’m not personally stuck on either of those policies one way or the other. But then I’m not truth bending in pursuit of power.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

8 months ago, Labour MP and now Chief Secretary to the Treasury, wanted reassurance from the tories they wouldn’t be taking the winter fuel payment from some pensioners.

Last week, you’ll recall, the MP that was Labour’s Director of Policy, had previously called the two child cap ‘immoral’.

I’m not personally stuck on either of those policies one way or the other. But then I’m not truth bending in pursuit of power.

Disgraceful 

Just got a email from unison saying my pays going up 5.5%. Im obviously happy about this but have they said teachers are getting a rise? I think they deserve it as much as we do.

I have a feeling it wont be long until police, fire brigade and other public service workers will be asking for a pay increase soon

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Just got a email from unison saying my pays going up 5.5%. Im obviously happy about this but have they said teachers are getting a rise? I think they deserve it as much as we do.

I have a feeling it wont be long until police, fire brigade and other public service workers will be asking for a pay increase soon

Yep we are getting 5.5% as well as other things to help with the job. 

They've definitely moved in the right direction in order to help public services. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Disgraceful 

They didn't know about the £20b black hole left by the tories , hidden. It will all come out though, prisons didn't have any funding at all, leaving a £6bn black hole. The mess the tories left will all come out in all it horrors in the near future. That's why Sunik called an early election. 

As for the winter fuel allowances, should be means tested not given just on age. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes teachers are getting it. I'd imagine other public servants will get the same/similar. 

Worth remembering that this 'blackhole' is at least partly 'created' by Labour. The 'blackhole' exists based on their financial aims/rules - there isn't an objective problem they've found, this isn't a debt discovered that means you can't pay the bills, it's an accounting issue meaning Labour struggle to the target they've decided to set themselves - it's somewhat ideological that this exists. And it also seems to be partly created because of how Labour has chosen to resolve the pay disputes inherited.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes teachers are getting it. I'd imagine other public servants will get the same/similar. 

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep we are getting 5.5% as well as other things to help with the job. 

They've definitely moved in the right direction in order to help public services. 

Thanks. Ive been critical of labour but i think this is the right way to go.  I think teachers have been screwed more than us in terms of pay increases. It will help attract people into the roles.

Very dumb by the tories to make cuts in these areas.

26 minutes ago, tinker said:

They didn't know about the £20b black hole left by the tories , hidden. It will all come out though, prisons didn't have any funding at all, leaving a £6bn black hole. The mess the tories left will all come out in all it horrors in the near future. That's why Sunik called an early election. 

As for the winter fuel allowances, should be means tested not given just on age. 

Im not sure i believe that all tbh. Labour have known for 6 months they were winning the election so surely they would have looked into this in great detail? 20b is a lot to get your numbers wrong about. Its poor planning.

Im sure the tories have made massive cockups as well but i just fail to believe laboue didnt know either

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Worth remembering that this 'blackhole' is at least partly 'created' by Labour. The 'blackhole' exists based on their financial aims/rules - there isn't an objective problem they've found, this isn't a debt discovered that means you can't pay the bills, it's an accounting issue meaning Labour struggle to the target they've decided to set themselves - it's somewhat ideological that this exists. And it also seems to be partly created because of how Labour has chosen to resolve the pay disputes inherited.

I'm not sure that's exactly right, is it? The black hole exists because the (then) Tory Gov't set plans and wotnot for doing stuff and spending money on doing that stuff, but actually didn't allocate the resources, or allocated lower resources than are credible. Yes the paydeal for public  sector workers is part of it, but the tories set aside an unrealistic 2% for that, some of which was to come from non-credible cuts to education, health etc. budgets to pay for it. I think the pay review body didn't report till after the election. When the IFS and the OBR say the Labour Gov't is right (broadly) about the black hole, I tend to accept that argument. Of course if Labour had different objectives around overall debt levels and stuff, they wouldn't necessarily have to chop projects and so on, but the "black hole" would still be there in the budget - it would just be filled by borrowing the money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not sure i believe that all tbh. Labour have known for 6 months they were winning the election so surely they would have looked into this in great detail? 20b is a lot to get your numbers wrong about. Its poor planning.

As I posted above, the OBR and the IFS have both said "yep, genuinely the last lot hid the hole". That's not to say that people weren't aware that the finances were already dire, and that Labour knew they were dire, but equally, they are worse than anyone (except the Tory PM and chancellor) knew 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â