The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I believe there will be an onus on faster processing of arrivals and clearing the backlog, which would lead to greater deportations if done effectively. The tories were so shit, hard to know if it was inept or intentional. 

It has to be ineptitude. Doesn’t make sense for the Tories to want immigrants hanging around for ages while we make a decision about their future. Always puzzled me why they didn’t throw resources at getting everything processed faster so they could send as many home as quickly as possible; would have been much easier than trying to fly people to Rwanda.

• Like 2

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

It has to be ineptitude. Doesn’t make sense for the Tories to want immigrants hanging around for ages while we make a decision about their future. Always puzzled me why they didn’t throw resources at getting everything processed faster so they could send as many home as quickly as possible; would have been much easier than trying to fly people to Rwanda.

Haha, I know. They could have stood up and said something like, for every 10 coming in 8 are going out - that would be a deterrent in itself. Just that would have meant doing their job properly, so they didn't.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The small boat issue came about because the same migrants used to travel in the back of trucks, which were not subjected to any kind of checks before Brexit. 

Now that the truck route has become difficult for them the boats have sprung up instead. 

While your main point is correct, it's not particularly Brexit related.

Checking of goods vehicles coming into the UK only started this year, it's the other way that checks really happen. 

The truck route is more difficult since they massively ramped up screening at ports after 2019 when they found those 39 dead Vietnamese in that truck in Essex.

• Like 1

Also got to say how refreshing it is that Starmer is making the point of visiting the devolved nations straight away - it was laughable/criminal how Johnson treated Drakeford, let alone the Scots. I think we will see Gordon Brown's max devolution plans coming to the fore, his antidote to the reasons folks wanted independence.

Just now, Jareth said:

Also got to say how refreshing it is that Starmer is making the point of visiting the devolved nations straight away - it was laughable/criminal how Johnson treated Drakeford, let alone the Scots.

I remember saying a while ago that it's going to be interesting how much difference cooperation might make to things running better.

While I'm the last person to show any sympathy for the Tories, having devolved powers everywhere else trying to do things performatively differently can't have made it easier to govern. 

I am, as I'm sure is easy to see, not a big fan of Starmer - but I have to say, he's started very well. There's a lot of promise in the opening couple of days of this government. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

He's meeting Richard Parker tomorrow. Hopefully The West Midlands can benefit as he only won the mayoral election by the slimmest of margins. They'll want to shore him up I would think? 

Hopefully gets to meet some City Council leaders and offer some better solution to their cash problems than Tories did. God knows the city needs it. 

Of course it's Andy Burnham getting the press today. Richard Parker might as well not exist from a PR point of view. 

Edited by sidcow

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's meeting Richard Parker tomorrow. Hopefully The West Midlands can benefit as he only won the mayoral election by the slimmest of margins. They'll want to shore him up I would think? 

Hopefully gets to meet some City Council leaders and offer some better solution to their cash problems than Tories did. God knows the city needs it. 

Has Richard Parker done anything yet? I'd forgotten he'd even been elected. I've heard more off Andy Street since then.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

Has it been said yet that he's definitely committed to nationalising the Railways ASAP. 

The first franchise to expire is West Midlands Trains in September. 

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing to be first up before they've maybe got a tried and tested plan. 

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Has Richard Parker done anything yet? If forgotten he'd even been elected. I've heard more off Andy Street since then.

Yeah. It was what I was worried about from day 1 with him. Has zero charisma. Just hope he's doing good work in the background. 

I worry about the future of The Metro which I feel is a vitally important project to Birmingham. He seems pretty luke warm on it. Street was very enthusiastic about it. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Of course it's Andy Burnham getting the press today. Richard Parker might as well not exist from a PR point of view. 

Spider-Man?
Genuine thought he was made up.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Think thats his point the tories did so why is it ok for labour to do it?

If the only way to get the right people in the right place is by following some archaic rules, then they should do that and then reform the rules.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Has it been said yet that he's definitely committed to nationalising the Railways ASAP. 

The first franchise to expire is West Midlands Trains in September. 

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing to be first up before they've maybe got a tried and tested plan. 

I'd imagine they'll just copy what they did with LNER when that came under public ownership, but will just fall under the GB Rail branding

2 hours ago, limpid said:

If the only way to get the right people in the right place is by following some archaic rules, then they should do that and then reform the rules.

Absolutely  but can't see that happening

Will be interesting to see the new attorney general's assessment of the legality of selling arms to Israel. He has previously argued that councils should be free to boycott Israel, and the Tory ban on that would stifle free speech. And he is an international human rights lawyer. 

Good to see Blair has popped up from hell to give some advice and drag his mandatory id card policy back from the bin.

I think he genuinely has no idea how unpopular he is

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Good to see Blair has popped up from hell to give some advice and drag his mandatory id card policy back from the bin.

Yeah, that’s struck me a few times, he’s genuinely unaware he’s grown horns. Does he never question why he can’t see himself in mirrors?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Amazing timing, not for any other reason than I was out with a very old friend last night who currently lives in Croatia. They have ID Cards. If you are in Croatia for longer than 3 months and don't have a job or the means to support yourself… out you go and it’s all enforced via the ID Cards (you know that rule that we never enforced when we were in the EU but could have done so). This was actually a topic of conversation last night, she was always against ID cards when she lived here but having seen how much easier it is to tackle illegal immigration with them since living there, she’s all for them now. (And she's not some RW loon)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolutely  but can't see that happening

You have really convinced me

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Amazing timing, not for any other reason than I was out with a very old friend last night who currently lives in Croatia. They have ID Cards. If you are in Croatia for longer than 3 months and don't have a job or the means to support yourself… out you go and it’s all enforced via the ID Cards (you know that rule that we never enforced when we were in the EU but could have done so). This was actually a topic of conversation last night, she was always against ID cards when she lived here but having seen how much easier it is to tackle illegal immigration with them since living there, she’s all for them now. (And she's not some RW loon)

I am on the fence about the idea, I'm open to the idea that they could potentially be used to streamline some of the existing checks around the right to work, and so on. The devil is in the detail and given our government's track record of taking our data and then flogging it to the private sector, I'm sceptical. But if you do want the policy to succeed, you probably don't want Tony Blair advocating for it.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â