The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

If the Tories had done this everyone would be up in arms, because Labour have done it some are trying to justify it!

Just saying.......

The Tories did do it.

• Like 1

Didn't Tony Blair do something similar with Alan Sugar? I can't remember clearly but it seems familiar. Seems to be something both parties do. I'd like to see it got rid of. Find other ways to bring in experts. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Didn't Tony Blair do something similar with Alan Sugar? I can't remember clearly but it seems familiar. 

No, he was put in the Lords by Gordon Brown just as part of the usual Lords process, not because they wanted him in government. 

Labour are set to reform the Lords - this looks a case of using the system as it is, for now. Harman is going there too, only to help retire over 80 year olds and get rid of hereditarys too. Matter of time until that goes even further. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

If the Tories had done this everyone would be up in arms, because Labour have done it some are trying to justify it!

Just saying.......

It depends what "it" is. The only real comparable situation recently is Cameron being ennobled to allow him to be Foreign Secretary. 

And I definitely wasn't "up in arms" about that. I remember thinking it was quite amusing and desperate to bring him back, but that was about it.

On the other hand, if Starmer were making people Lords just because they were his mates and he was returning favours, I would be annoyed about that. But that's not what's happening here.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Today's fun fact - now that Hilary Benn is in as Northern Ireland Secretary every Labour Prime Minister in history has (still) had a member of the Benn family in their cabinet. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

No, he was put in the Lords by Gordon Brown just as part of the usual Lords process, not because they wanted him in government. 

Fair enough. I thought he got appointed something or other but maybe it wasn't the reason for putting him in Lords. 

3 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Just saying.......

Yeah, look at how everyone was up in arms when Cameron was posted in. The press were all over it for weeks. It was relentless. 

I'd rather someone was parachuted into The Lords in order to bring some very specific expertise into Government (instead of an elected minister who might not be up to the job) than someone being appointed to The Lords just because they're a mate of someone or has given a nice generous donation to someone. 

But yes, overall it would be better to have a formal mechanism to appoint someone from outside if they're the best person for the job. 

• Like 3

Sir Keir Starmer has confirmed the Rwanda deportation scheme is "dead and buried", on his first full day as prime minister.

The Labour leader said he would end the "gimmick" of deporting migrants arriving in the UK illegally to Rwanda, which was established by the previous Conservative government.

Common sense, just a shame the previous lot wasted £310m on it.

link

• Like 3

And a meeting set up with the BMA for next week to try and sort out the doctors strikes. Not a bad first 24 hours.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

link

Yes, would have certainly help fund some increased wages for junior doctors m

More cabinet ministers born in Sunderland than went to Eton.

Feels like a better ratio to me.

(2 vs 1, if anyone was wondering)

11 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

More cabinet ministers born in Sunderland than went to Eton.

Feels like a better ratio to me.

(2 vs 1, if anyone was wondering)

Yeah, conversely, the local woman we had presumed would be the Labour candidate here was substituted for an Old Etonian Labour candidate who couldn’t get a gig in Cardiff because that spot was taken by a Westminster type parachuted in there so everyone had to shuffle down the pecking order. 
The Labour candidate here (who won, btw), made a big deal of ‘knowing’ how important rugby was locally. By any measure, this is a football town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

link

Has he said what his plan is instead? I dont mind that its scrapped but what is his plan to deal with it instead?

All he said is deal with the criminal games in the debates. Why how you doing that starmer ? You are PM now so needs to tell us what his alternative is. Looking forward in next few weeks to see what his plan is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Has he said what his plan is instead? I dont mind that its scrapped but what is his plan to deal with it instead?

All he said is deal with the criminal games in the debates. Why how you doing that starmer ? You are PM now so needs to tell us what his alternative is. Looking forward in next few weeks to see what his plan is.

Co-operation with French and other European governments. Something the Tories refused to do because, you know, Europe.

There wasn’t a small boat issue before we left the EU, the small boat issue is entirely of the Tories making with their refusal to co-operate with European agencies because… well there was no practical reason just optics with their base (which is now much smaller)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bickster said:

Co-operation with French and other European governments. Something the Tories refused to do because, you know, Europe.

There wasn’t a small boat issue before we left the EU, the small boat issue is entirely of the Tories making with their refusal to co-operate with European agencies because… well there was no practical reason just optics with their base (which is now much smaller)

The small boat issue came about because the same migrants used to travel in the back of trucks, which were not subjected to any kind of checks before Brexit. 

Now that the truck route has become difficult for them the boats have sprung up instead. 

It’s true that more can be done with better cooperation with France but I don’t think there is a simple solution. 

There was still a problem when the U.K. was part of the EU but it was an unseen problem. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

I still dont understand how that is going to resolve the issue. Having better co-operation with the french is great (as i didnt want to leave the EU however there will be a price for that)

but what happens when they get here? Whats he doing? Letting them stay? Put them in hotels like the tories have done? Deport them? 

He has said virtually nothing what his plan is. 

I believe there will be an onus on faster processing of arrivals and clearing the backlog, which would lead to greater deportations if done effectively. The tories were so shit, hard to know if it was inept or intentional. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â