The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Fazia Shaheen the latest Labour candidate to be booted from her fight against Irritable Duncan-Syndrome in Chingford & Wood Green.

15 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Fazia Shaheen the latest Labour candidate to be booted from her fight against Irritable Duncan-Syndrome in Chingford & Wood Green.

One of the only seats to swing Labour in 2019. So clearly not a matter of electoral potential. Purely ideological

2 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

One of the only seats to swing Labour in 2019. So clearly not a matter of electoral potential. Purely ideological

Not so, there’s a reasonable sized Jewish community in Chingford and someone was going around pitching that constituencies battle as a battle between Israel (IDS) and Palestine (Shaheen). Not really the thing you need to be happening in the middle of an election campaign, certainly not a distraction that Starmer would want kicking off

Yes you have to suspect a bit of ideology in the decision but also a good deal of pragmatism too

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not so, there’s a reasonable sized Jewish community in Chingford and someone was going around pitching that constituencies battle as a battle between Israel (IDS) and Palestine (Shaheen). Not really the thing you need to be happening in the middle of an election campaign, certainly not a distraction that Starmer would want kicking off

Yes you have to suspect a bit of ideology in the decision but also a good deal of pragmatism too

Getting rid of a significant and popular left wing candidate amidst this Dianne Abbott debacle is a funny form of pragmatism. 

A good point about the Israel Palestine thing but I don’t know if IDS is someone the Labour Party would be worried about. Maybe 20 years ago they would have been. Seems to be ideologically motivated to me 

3 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Getting rid of a significant and popular left wing candidate amidst this Dianne Abbott debacle is a funny form of pragmatism. 

A good point about the Israel Palestine thing but I don’t know if IDS is someone the Labour Party would be worried about. Maybe 20 years ago they would have been. Seems to be ideologically motivated to me 

I somehow don’t think it’s Starmer choosing the timing of this.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I somehow don’t think it’s Starmer choosing the timing of this.

True. Regardless, fundamentally if she wasn’t on the left they wouldn’t be getting rid. It follows a clear trend 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Doesn't mean that it's right though. Similar to Abbott, unless she has done something serious enough to put her outside the parameters of what the Labour party see as acceptable to be a member there should be nothing stopping her local party selecting her as their candidate, especially given that process has already taken place.

It might well be pragmatic (it might also not be), but it's still pretty rotten. It was in 2019 when the "other side" pulled the same trick in Ilford South to get their man in, it's no less so now.

• Like 1

Apparently one of her crimes listed, was liking a tweet from a personal friend announcing they had become a Green Party candidate. She liked that tweet in 2014, before she was in the Labour Party.

I know nothing of her, but that feels a little harsh. I’d like to imagine there were substantially more robust reasons than that.

• Like 1

The other "scandal" as far as I can tell, is liking this tweet, which is apparently anti-semitic because it uses the 'L' word :) 

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The other "scandal" as far as I can tell, is liking this tweet, which is apparently anti-semitic because it uses the 'L' word :) 

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Compared to Neil Coyle who actually racially abused somebody but is allowed to stand...

Not that it will impact the election result, but Labour are at serious risk of alienating minority voters/members here. New party on the horizon?

22 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Compared to Neil Coyle who actually racially abused somebody but is allowed to stand...

Although there is now talk that Coyle might be the next one out the door. 

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Although there is now talk that Coyle might be the next one out the door. 

That would make sense practically for them - this mess surrounding Abbott and Shaheen only highlights their hypocrisy when it comes to Coyle etc.

None of this is a surprise. Labour have a strategy and are sticking to it. It does feel like we might see a new party of the left at some point, there are a lot of good people who cannot be in Labour. 

• Like 1

While I think this is all being handled pretty objectionably, it's not like this is a new thing. See the Sam Tarry / Jas Athwal switch in Ilford South shortly before the 2019 election.

Or the glee from some at the deselection of people on the other side of the party, when it was their side who got to do the deselecting. 

I’m reliably informed the deselection express pulled into Westminster tonight. Choo choo!

(apparently that tweet can't be embedded for some reason)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jareth said:

None of this is a surprise. Labour have a strategy and are sticking to it. It does feel like we might see a new party of the left at some point, there are a lot of good people who cannot be in Labour. 

Probably. Everyone is rushing to the middle where the vast majority of the voting population live. 

The new Tory/Reform can sit on the far right proposing nutty policies that a few like and the majority reject and the new Corbyn or whatever party can sit on the far left proposing nutty policy ideas that a few like and the majority reject. 

Bully for the outsiders. 

I'll worry when either become mainstream. 

Edited by sidcow

Â