The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, Xann said:

cyFf19n.jpg

LSE study on the media's reporting of Corbyn.

Clicky

There's one glaring unsupported claim in that conclusion. Yes corbyn gets slated in the papers, but there is absolutely no work or analysis or evidence cited to support " in a way no other political leader is or has been" - that's just presumably unsupported opinion of the writers.

Basically the study confirms the right wing media lie about corbyn and the more liberal/ left papers aren't massively enthusiastic about him either, most of the time.

So, tell me LSE, where do bears perform their ablutions?

Looking at the causes of the situation is also something not done in that study. 

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

...that's just presumably unsupported opinion of the writers...

Ping them and ask them.

I remember Foot and Kinnock being ribbed, but not like this.

Looking at the causes of the situation is also something not done in that study. 

That's another study in itself ;)

Though, looking to your bear - Corbyn would most likely make the pricks pay tax.

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ping them and ask them.

I remember Foot and Kinnock being ribbed, but not like this.

That's another study in itself ;)

Though, looking to your bear - Corbyn would most likely make the pricks pay tax.

You could add ed milliband to the list, as well.

My perception is that part of the reason behind corbyns bad press is that he makes no effort to present, to explain, to apologise, to announce....to do the things that make the way media cover politics work to his benefit and advantage. That leaves a vacuum which is filled by increased coverage for the tories and by opinion pieces which are not favourable.

Yes, the media is weighted against "the left", but IMO, his non engagement with the way things are covered and reported is (yet another) of his mistakes as leader of labour. 

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

My perception is that part of the reason behind corbyns bad press is that he makes no effort to present, to explain, to apologise, to announce....to do the things that make the way media cover politics work to his benefit and advantage. That leaves a vacuum which is filled by increased coverage for the tories and by opinion pieces which are not favourable.

Yes, the media is weighted against "the left", but IMO, his non engagement with the way things are covered and reported is (yet another) of his mistakes as leader of labour. 

I think he's realised he's flogging a dead horse with the press. He's getting out there and meeting people.

Corbyn supporting friends put stuff on FB. He's busy doing positive things. Picked up by social media, mostly ignored by traditional news sources.

It's maybe the reason he won't walk away? - "Why should I step down? That's not the real me!"

Owen Smith has announced he's now officially announcing the re launch of the launch of his leadership bid.

As somebody that wasn't in Parliament he's confirmed he would not have voted for war. This is to clear up the fact that when previously asked would he have voted for war he first answered yes, then recently changed that to don't know. He now wants it known he wouldn't have.

A member of CND, Owen Smith is in favour of renewing trident.

He suggested that whilst he's been in favour of austerity it's now time to start spending.

All on the TV and radio this morning.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think he's realised he's flogging a dead horse with the press. He's getting out there and meeting people.

Corbyn supporting friends put stuff on FB. He's busy doing positive things. Picked up by social media, mostly ignored by traditional news sources.

It's maybe the reason he won't walk away? - "Why should I step down? That's not the real me!"

Possibly that's why, but if so it's a mistake for several reasons. These include the sheer number of people who read papers, either on paper or online, the prevalence on social media of people who will say and do idiotic things, threats, misogyny, anti semitism and so on that get associated with him, or with momentum.  Also the TV take their cue from the papers.

Then again doing the social media has probably been the thing that's driven the increased membership, connecting with people, particularly young people, who don't bother with old media.

Maybe do both is a better idea?

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Owen Smith has announced he's now officially announcing the re launch of the launch of his leadership bid.

As somebody that wasn't in Parliament he's confirmed he would not have voted for war. This is to clear up the fact that when previously asked would he have voted for war he first answered yes, then recently changed that to don't know. He now wants it known he wouldn't have.

A member of CND, Owen Smith is in favour of renewing trident.

He suggested that whilst he's been in favour of austerity it's now time to start spending.

All on the TV and radio this morning.

He's  going for the schizophrenic vote.

I am not sure why people are so hostile towards the LSE report, which seems to have used recognised methodology in its analysis.

I think the treatment of Corbyn is a better indicator of where our press stand than anything else.

The most interesting revelation is not where the usual suspects stand on Corbyn, which is predictable, but where the Guardian are on the political spectrum.

578b7224.jpg

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Possibly that's why, but if so it's a mistake for several reasons. These include the sheer number of people who read papers, either on paper or online, the prevalence on social media of people who will say and do idiotic things, threats, misogyny, anti semitism and so on that get associated with him, or with momentum.  Also the TV take their cue from the papers.

Then again doing the social media has probably been the thing that's driven the increased membership, connecting with people, particularly young people, who don't bother with old media.

Maybe do both is a better idea?

If over half of what's written about you in the mainstream press is twisted? It's not going to encourage engagement or allocation of resources.

He's battling against vested interests.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

How do you know? What do you know of Corbyn that hasn't come through the media?

He could be on the phone or emailing every day trying to give his side.

How do you know he makes no effort to engage or cooperate with the media?

4 hours ago, Xann said:

If over half of what's written about you in the mainstream press is twisted? It's not going to encourage engagement or allocation of resources.

He's battling against vested interests.

Absolutely correct. (Except that study doesn't show over half of stuff is "twisted". It shows overall about 25% antagonistic. As the study says "critical" is the media's job.)

However it's his job to try and get as many people as possible to vote labour. That includes readers of papers which are hostile to Labour, or to him personally (as well as ones which are more neutral or supportive, with which he also doesn't engage). It's a mistake, and it's not doing his job properly.

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

How do you know? What do you know of Corbyn that hasn't come through the media?

He could be on the phone or emailing every day trying to give his side.

How do you know he makes no effort to engage or cooperate with the media?

His direct media appearances are few and far between. As someone who looks out for stuff from all the leaders across media I have seen very little from Corbyn compared to the others and his predecessors. That includes TV as well.

When he has done direct interviews he's not reacted well to deeper questioning. Whether it's on the Vice documentary by one of his fans, or on the BBC.

Look at the London Major elections - Sadiq Khan was attacked strongly by the media, but he was much more visible, much more engaged with the media. Look at the referendum, Corbyn decided to do a low profile low key half hearted tour talking to groups of people rather than engage with millions via Press and TV. He did, as far as I could find, no columns in (say) the Guardian, Independent or Mirror putting his or Labour's case. Sure the Sun might not have given him a column, or the Mail, but not all the media is unsympathetic.

There seems to be a tendency (as Xann said) for him to see "the media" as an enemy. One of his defining characteristics is (in action) treating people with different views, or with hard questions as hostile. Everyone who is critical is attacked by him or his supporters.

It's a massive shame, IMO.

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The most interesting revelation is not where the usual suspects stand on Corbyn, which is predictable, but where the Guardian are on the political spectrum.

The study doesn't show where the Guardian is on the political spectrum. it only looks at coverage of Corbyn as an individual.

What might be interesting is to see where coverage of say Tom Watson stands. Or of say Natalie Bennet compared to Caroline Lucas. I would suggest that coverage of Bennett is/was much more critical than coverage of Lucas. And that coverage of Lucas is much more positive than of Corbyn, despite their pretty similar views on many things.

My perception of the truth is that Lucas is much better at "the media" than Bennett or Corbyn and consequently gets better coverage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

... it's not doing his job properly.

When it comes to the papers.

He's not going to say what the owners want him to say, and they're not going say what he wants them to say.

Not an ideal method of getting a message across.

Yes I'd have to agree there's a definite chicken and egg element to the media problem.

Newspapers lie and apparently there is nothing we can do about it. 

The media have behaved badly towards Corbyn, back when Laura Kuennssberg got booed and hissed I thought that was justified and I'd have hissed at her questions had I been in the room. Her attitude was insulting, her personal views were shining through and she was anything but neutral.

The point was made, I believe she's actually reigned in the sneering a little. At that point Corbyn should have been able to man up and improve his media technique and be seen to be magnanimous. But no, he still can't do media. It's an absolute shame as it's a critical part of the job.

I've suggested it before, but it's almost like he has to split the job with someone that can do media. I'd rather him have interesting ideas and struggle at media but have a 'spokesperson' than the alternative route of Owen Smith who appears to believe in whatever is up in the polling today, but comes over well in front of a camera.

• Like 2

Just now, Xann said:

He's not going to say what the owners want him to say, and they're not going say what he wants them to say.

I don't agree. People with all kinds of opinions and views are given platforms. Farage had a column in the Independent, as did Lawson as did Chris Bryant as does Mark Steel (a Corbyn supporter). Most papers will give space to major political figures if they want it, of whatever hue.

Â