The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As I've said previously, I think that is incorrect.

Why ? - forget the current squabble.

The rules for electing a leader are that anyone who stand (Incumbent Leader excepted)  must receive the backing of 51 mp's  (as Owen Smith and Angela Eagle has done) - and as Corbyn did last year - How is that incoorect ?

10 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Owen Smith seems to be further to the right that Eagle and yet he's running to her left, so presumably his job is to split the Corbyn vote but he doesn't seem to have enough of a lefty background to do that really. I think the party will throw forward some big hitter when things are looking desperate, but they'll still lose because Corbyn has a big base that aren't going away any time soon. A split seems inevitable unless some real shenanigans prevent more voters from having their say or a real quality candidate appears from nowhere.

Smith is to left of Eagle. Hes pretty close to Corbyn policy wise - but a better parliamentary person - I think he cares more about winning elections, than Corbyn who just wants to put a left wing agenda forward and isn't bothered if the electorate reject it. 

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why ? - forget the current squabble.

The rules for electing a leader are that anyone who stand (Incumbent Leader excepted)  must receive the backing of 51 mp's  (as Owen Smith and Angela Eagle has done) - and as Corbyn did last year - How is that incoorect ?

It is incorrect that Miliband introduced this and that it was some sort of 'buffer'.

As per the parliamentary briefing paper on Labour Leadership elections (found as a pdf on this page):

The current rules were introduced in 2014. The previous rules required candidates to have the support of 12.5% of Commons Members of the Parliamentary Labour Party in order to stand for election if the post of leader or deputy leader were vacant.

Going by this, it would suggest that no change was made from 2008 about the level of nominations in the case of there being no vacancy.

LABOUR PARTY

The Labour Party Rule Book 2008

Chapter 4

2. Election of leader and deputy leader

A. The leader and deputy leader shall be elected separately in accordance with rule C below, unless rule E below applies.

B. Nomination

i. In the case of a vacancy for leader or deputy leader, each nomination must be supported by 12.5 per cent of the Commons members of the PLP. Nominations not attaining this threshold shall be null and void.

ii. Where there is no vacancy, nominations shall be sought each year prior to the annual session of party conference. In this case any nomination must be supported by 20 per cent of the Commons members of the PLP. Nominations not attaining this threshold shall be null and void.

So it would appear that the only change to this* under Ed Miliband (as a result of the Collins Review, I believe) was to increase the threshold for nominations where there is a vacancy from 12.5% of the PLP to 15%.

*Edit - by 'this' I mean the nomination part not the extension of OMOV.

Edited by snowychap

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Corbyn got 36 PLP nominations last year.

OK - forget the figures - the point I am trying to make is that to stand first and foremost you need a certain % of MP'S - before you can be on the ballot that goes to the members. 

I believe where there is no vacancy you need 51 - were corbyn to resign (ie there is a vacancy) he would only need 36. 

Edited by hippo

1 minute ago, hippo said:

OK - forget the figures - the point I am trying to make is that to stand first and foremost you need a certain % of MP'S - before you can be on the ballot that goes to the members. 

Read my previous post!

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Read my previous post!

Read mine

Im not sure what you are disputing. He would need 36 if there was a vacancy - 51 if there wasn't. 

edit - prior to last nights NEC Ruling.

Edited by hippo

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

So you agree there is a buffer - but your point is that EM didn't put it in ?

A poster said:

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Ed Miliband really did cock up the rules for the leadership election.

I asked:

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

How did he 'cock up the rules'?

You replied

56 minutes ago, hippo said:

The buffer he put in was that anyone standing must first foremost have the backing of a % of current MP'S. 

I replied (highlighting the 'he put in'):

47 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As I've said previously, I think that is incorrect.

You asked Why? so I went and got details of the leadership election nomination rules from the House of Commons briefing paper which said that the change made (in 2014 when Miliband was leader) was to increase the threshold when there is a vacancy from 12.5% to 15% and provided information (via an Essex University link) from the 2008 rule book concerning nominations when there isn't a vacancy which seems to suggest that this hasn't changed.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Interesting that in the last leadership election  84% of £3 voters backed Corbyn. He still would have won because 49% of full members voted for him. (Per Labourlist)

plenty of reports that amongst trade union members  Corbyn's support has dipped (Unison are considering not endorsing any candidate ). If that is replicated in the full members then its very much 'Game on' 

Although some of rebels are saying the best case scenario that they can feasibly hope for is that he wins but with a reduced % of the vote.  

Edited by hippo

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Increadible interview with Joanne Baxter on Channel 4 at the moment.

Corbyn coming across as allowing bullying.

The guy is simply not fit to be in the job.

Someone else wheeled out to bad mouth him? They really want him out don't they?

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Someone else wheeled out to bad mouth him? They really want him out don't they?

Perhaps you should see the interview and see just how upset she was, it was pretty clear she hadn't been 'wheeled' out.

And yes they want him out because he is seemingly utterly incapable of doing the job.

• Like 2

I read about it on the BBC. From what I could tell, her entire issue was that Corbyn (amongst others) had voted for a secret ballot. And apparently that causes bullying and she is upset by that.

I'll try and find the video in case it's a completely different story.

Â