The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

It's actually new members since January 12 that have to pay more to vote. Hundreds of thousands have joined since then. Particularly so since the idiocy of the referendum. The Labour party hates these people, and wants nothing but their money. **** them.

• Like 4

I wish the labour party would split, then Corbyn and his supporters would go with the lib Dems to form a centre left party who then swallow up the greens to become a huge socially responsible party with green credentials. 

And then I woke up.

• Like 1

It gets worse.

Peston is stating that the decision to vote on the retroactive timeframe wasn't on the agenda, and was taken after Corbyn and some supporters left the NEC. 

Utter horseshit.

You cannot vote for the Labour Party any longer. This is a party that not only has betrayed it's roots, it's treated it's membership with complete contempt and has aligned itself in a path that is openly opposed to fairness and transparency. All because they will trade anything for power. And in doing so have eradicated any justification for their ascending to power. They've eaten themselves.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Corbyn's a disaster, but their attempts to get rid of him are corrupt, basically.

The whole thing is completely unedifying for all concerned.

Having always voted Labour I find it hard to imagine ever voting for them again.

They aren't even a functioning party let alone competent opposition. Currently it looks like it could be years before they could be govern.

That for me is Corbyn's biggest failure. His inability to build consensus and/or strongly manage the PLP has made the party unelectable giving a free reign to an increasingly RW Tory Gov.

• Like 2

My local MP is Vernon Coaker, a former member of the shadow cabinet who was happy to help wield the knife. I was already on the fence about ever voting for them. I went for the Greens in the last GE, but I'd vote for Corbyn...Unfortunately, I don't want to for his party's MP. Yet not voting for them because the PLP are a sack of shit will be spun as Corbyn costing Labour its support.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like some sort of election for PM, separate from electing local representation.

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

Corbyn's a disaster, but their attempts to get rid of him are corrupt, basically.

This is about where I am at this point. 

The only thing worse than Corbyn has been the attempt to get rid of him. I don't necessarily think it's been corrupt, just incredibly inept. First we had weeks of briefings, then a vote of no confidence. At this point, they were telling us that removing Corbyn was of vital critical importance right now, but apparently not important enough for any one individual to risk their career over. Now we finally have a contender - someone who nobody particularly cares for or about - and so far, 48 hours after announcing her candidacy, her entire platform can be summarised as 'Electable + Trident' and nothing else. Then we have the coup plotters who have tried to get Corbyn off the ballot for the leadership election, seemingly without considering a] how that would look to the country at large or b] whether they had a functional majority on the NEC to actually complete that move. Hopeless. 

It's like they've gone game shooting and downed a bird, but being too weak to wring its neck and put it out of its misery, they're just going to stand there moaning while it thrashes around bleeding everywhere. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yet not voting for them because the PLP are a sack of shit will be spun as Corbyn costing Labour its support.

Quite a lot of that in this thread :(

I invariably spoil my ballot at every election. But I would vote for Corbyn, not necessarily because I agree with him on everything but I think he could spark a change in the political sphere in the UK, and in the meantime perhaps improve things in the lives of many disadvantaged people at a fundamental level.

But now were there a snap election tomorrow, I couldn't put my cross by Labour. The snakes in that party are despicable, and deserve no support. The party is done for a very long time in my eyes, and as a younger member of the electorate, sooner or later they'll want my vote, along with many others of my ilk. I sincerely hope they never have it after the nonsense of the last few months.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Ed Miliband really did cock up the rules for the leadership election.  Thank God he never got the chance to lead the country.  Labour are in a bit of a pickle, here, and retrospectively changing the rules is laughable.

How did he 'cock up the rules'?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Corbyn would do better than miliband did

I think of lot of people think that if moderates or blarites  split off from Labour then Corbyn would be able to present a coherent left wing alternative to the tories. In my experience that will never happen.

Say all the moderates left the labour party - it would be a matter of time before some new issue erupted - and Corbyn was involved with some other dispute in his party. Even prior to the referendum he we embroiled in anti semitism. What you have now is 'Corbyns labour' - this is is the final product. The issues and the people may change - but it will be a party that constantly divides itself over issues that the general public aren't overly concerned about.

Give it 18 months -Id pretty much guarantee that Corbyn will fall out with some member of Momentum. 

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

How did he 'cock up the rules'?

The £3 votes was a daft idea.

The buffer he put in was that anyone standing must first foremost have the backing of a % of current MP'S. 

Corbyn didn't have that even at the time of the last leadership election. However a few MP'S endorsed Corbyn even though they wouldn't vote for him - so that the 'Left' would have a voice in the leadership election. and the rest as they say is history...

Owen Smith seems to be further to the right that Eagle and yet he's running to her left, so presumably his job is to split the Corbyn vote but he doesn't seem to have enough of a lefty background to do that really. I think the party will throw forward some big hitter when things are looking desperate, but they'll still lose because Corbyn has a big base that aren't going away any time soon. A split seems inevitable unless some real shenanigans prevent more voters from having their say or a real quality candidate appears from nowhere.

Â