The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not at all Tone, I think he is abit of a weasel. I did see him on QT he did avoid a lot of the questions and gave the politician talk. Also stabbed Boris in the back within 24hrs. Cant trust this cretin mate. Would rather someone like Crabb. Looks young and has a interesting background story isnt a etoniain like the rest of them. 

maybe Boris was shafting him ?

Gove isn't an Etonian, neither is Fox and I'm fairly sure May isn't either :D

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A leader in a sober suit, at the despatch box, asking one or two simple direct questions along the lines of what the merry **** is going on. Call an election you bunch of lying in fighting con men.

he'd have to get Steve a plumber from Basildon to ask the question surely ?

As a side issue ,  I don't recall the desire for a General  election when Brown was handed over power unelected , so I'm sure you won't mind me pointing out it would seem a bit hypercritical of Labour to ask for one now

I'm not suggesting it's constitutionally necessary. Just that a more organised opposition should be having so many free hits it would be painful to watch. Not just painful to watch because somehow the opposition is utterly incompetent in its role of holding the government to account.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't recall the desire for a General  election when Brown was handed over power unelected

There were Tories (and non-Tories) up and down the country and especially on here demanding it.

It would appear that in an effort to out do the tories, labour have managed to upset a jewish labour MP (Ruth Smeeth) at the launch of their report in to anti-semitism within the labour party.

At some point in time I've fallen down the rabbit hole and I'm now actually in the TV whilst a Christmas episode of The Thick Of It is being broadcast.

23 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There were Tories (and non-Tories) up and down the country and especially on here demanding it.

indeed , I was one of them saying there should have been one (not sure I was demanding one mind ) ...  we should have one again at some point after the new leader has been put in place  , that's if we can find some parties to contest one ,

but that's not really relevant to the point I raised against Chris'sss post

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It would appear that in an effort to out do the tories, labour have managed to upset a jewish labour MP (Ruth Smeeth) at the launch of their report in to anti-semitism within the labour party.

At some point in time I've fallen down the rabbit hole and I'm now actually in the TV whilst a Christmas episode of The Thick Of It is being broadcast.

I saw a clip but with no sound and context  ..it looked like the most uncoordinated walk out since the Bee Gee's met Clive James....  one of those moments where something was said and it took the person about 4 minutes to realise they were offended and thus they better storm out

I'll troll the news later and get a better understanding of it all though

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

I also liked Clegg. Still not sure what he could have done different in the face of a majority Tory representation in the coalition. 

He got an AV referendum out of it. Although it should have been PR.

I've spotted at least one thing . . .

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I've spotted at least one thing . . .

Not really his fault though. They wanted PR, AV was all the tories allowed them to have, knowing full well they wouldn't get any support for it.

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

indeed , I was one of them saying there should have been one (not sure I was demanding one mind ) ...  we should have one again at some point after the new leader has been put in place  , that's if we can find some parties to contest one ,

I reckon we'll have one at some point, yeah :P

Just now, darrenm said:

Not really his fault though. They wanted PR, AV was all the tories allowed them to have, knowing full well they wouldn't get any support for it.

To be fair, they didn't even try. 

They specifically wanted AV because the main practical result of it would have been more or less guaranteeing the Lib Dems as juinor coalition partners for both parties. 

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It seemed to be.

You said that you didn't recall the desire for a General Election when Brown took over and yet you've just told me that you were one of the people calling for one.

Or was the point merely so that you could bring forth an accusation of hypocrisy?

Edited by snowychap
Removed smiley

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Can't help feeling it's about now that an official opposition party should / could have it's boot on the throat of a tory party that's on the floor in self inflicted chaos.

A leader in a sober suit, at the despatch box, asking one or two simple direct questions along the lines of what the merry **** is going on. ....Absolute cretins. 

That's been the case from the off. Pretty much the only single time it happened was when one of the other ones - an Eagle of some sort, did it about 6 months ago.

The Gov't (this one) and the previous one has pretty much been an unopposed cluster**** for ages.

• Like 1

fwiw, I don't think a new PM is something that should trigger a general election. We vote for our local MP to represent us. We do not vote for a PM (well obviously they do in his constituency but yeah you know....)

what I was clumsily trying to say, was it was just one more thing that a competent opposition should be loading in to the kitchen sink before they throw it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't think a new PM is something that should trigger a general election.

I agree (and have done on VT since it was being brought up about Brown) but it depends upon  the argument made.

If the Labour party were to say that there ought to be a new election because a new PM has been installed via a party leadership election then the argument would be as wrong and bogus as it was when the Tories were making it in opposition.

If they were to make a different argument about a new PM entering in to negotiations with the EU with such a shift in the direction of government policy requiring a General Election (not constitutionally but in order to have a reasonable amount of democratic legitimacy) then I think there's some legs in that though I'm not totally convinced of its merit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

maybe Boris was shafting him ?

Gove isn't an Etonian, neither is Fox and I'm fairly sure May isn't either :D

You sure about May? She's got bigger balls than Boris. 

If the Tory leadership was decided by Royal Rumble, she'd be King of the Thunder-words removed in no time. 

Edited by wazzap24
She's a man, therefore a King

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

It seemed to be.

You said that you didn't recall the desire for a General Election when Brown took over and yet you've just told me that you were one of the people calling for one.

Or was the point merely so that you could bring forth an accusation of hypocrisy?

Well it was in direct response to Chris saying Labour should be calling for an election ... So it was perfectly acceptable for me to mention that they had no such desire themselves when presented with the same situation 

Also , this is the Labour thread so your complaints about Tories  by your own " rulebook "should have gone into the Tory  thread 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

fwiw, I don't think a new PM is something that should trigger a general election. We vote for our local MP to represent us. We do not vote for a PM (well obviously they do in his constituency but yeah you know....)

what I was clumsily trying to say, was it was just one more thing that a competent opposition should be loading in to the kitchen sink before they throw it

Im fairly sure some people vote to get "Tory scum " out which isn't the same thing as voting for a local MP to represent you more voting for the one to not represent you :P

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â