The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

"At Leeds, he was influenced by the indie music of the 1980s, from The Smiths and The Wedding Present to Orange Juice and Aztec Camera". 

Screenshot_2024-07-05-15-18-49-83_aee2dc313af8a92a16fcafcae1270359.jpg

Is that you in the white jacket Mike?

Just now, Anthony said:

Is that you in the white jacket Mike?

You should have gone to Specsavers. 

• Like 1

My reaction to seeing that photo for the first time is not dissimilar to seeing Ricky Gervais as a would be 80’s pop star for the first time.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

was saying to someone just now ..Refrom got the same number of seats as the Greens , yet I doubt anyone even knows their names , barely got a mention in any of the TV I watched 

so yep presumably take Farage out the equation and Reform might well have tanked 

I think Reforms 4 MPs are much better known that the Green 4. Tice, Farage, Anderson and former owner of Southampton FC Rupert Lowe.

Whereas the greens are Carla Denyer, Sian Berry, Mr Breast inflator and somebody else

Is it too early for a poll on  “who do you think the next leader of the Labour Party will be “ ?

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Is it too early for a poll on  “who do you think the next leader of the Labour Party will be “ ?

Spoiler

spacer.png

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:
  Hide contents

spacer.png

Good green credentials, something of a heavyweight, though plenty of folk really don’t like him. Getting on a bit, now… and who’s that with him? Is it Catweasle?

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got a lot of time for the boss of Timpsons and how he runs his company, but I am absolutely **** appalled that one of the first things Labour have done is promote a bloke to the Lords to give them a cabinet job.

I was furious when the tories did it for Cameron, and I'm absolutely **** gobsmacked these pricks have done it on day 1.

It’s funny because I feel like I should be opposed to it ideologically, but I’m finding myself quite supportive of it really. They’re just giving a job to a guy who has expertise in that area. But there is a significant part of me that thinks it’s wrong as he’s not been elected. I suppose it’s a niche post and he won’t have much influence on the broader direction of the government; if it were a bigger, broader position, or if they were doing this for a decent number of cabinet posts rather than one or two, I imagine I’d feel differently.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got a lot of time for the boss of Timpsons and how he runs his company, but I am absolutely **** appalled that one of the first things Labour have done is promote a bloke to the Lords to give them a cabinet job.

I was furious when the tories did it for Cameron, and I'm absolutely **** gobsmacked these pricks have done it on day 1.

Altogether now...

They're the same...

4 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

They’re just giving a job to a guy who has expertise in that area. But there is a significant part of me that thinks it’s wrong as he’s not been elected. I suppose it’s a niche post and he won’t have much influence on the broader direction of the government; if it were a bigger, broader position, or if they were doing this for a decent number of cabinet posts rather than one or two, I imagine I’d feel differently.

They're not just giving him a job, they're giving him a life peerage, when he might be in the job for 6 months.

I'm all for hiring experts in their field for consultancy, or for those experts to run for office, but parachuting someone in to a title and perks for life because they're useful to the government, they want them in the cabinet, but they can't be arsed with trifling matters like securing a democratic mandate or doing constituency work? It's not right, in my book.

I also presume that given he's a CEO of a company and can't be arsed being an MP that he'll be fulfilling his ministerial duties part time.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They're not just giving him a job, they're giving him a life peerage, when he might be in the job for 6 months.

I'm all for hiring experts in their field for consultancy, or for those experts to run for office, but parachuting someone in to a title and perks for life because they're useful to the government, they want them in the cabinet, but they can't be arsed with trifling matters like securing a democratic mandate or doing constituency work? It's not right, in my book.

I also presume that given he's a CEO of a company and can't be arsed being an MP that he'll be fulfilling his ministerial duties part time.

Yeah, I think you’re right to be fair. I guess the problem is more that there isn’t a mechanism to appoint a non-MP to the cabinet without giving them a peerage. But that’s a slippery slope.

32 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Yeah, I think you’re right to be fair. I guess the problem is more that there isn’t a mechanism to appoint a non-MP to the cabinet without giving them a peerage. But that’s a slippery slope.

Why does he have to be on the Cabinet to help out? Give the role to an actual MP and let him offer advice as a consultant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Surely the solution then is there needs to be a way that a suitable person can be appointed without ennobling them.

If James Timpson is the perfect person to sort out the crisis that the Tories have created in the prison system, his ability to fix it shouldn't be dependent on how many hours he can spend campaigning in Sunderland West, or whether he spends his Fridays sending emails about fence disputes on behalf of his constituents.

But as you say, if he is the perfect person then his capacity to do it also shouldn't need him to become Lord Timpson to do it.

And the third way is just as bad - don't make a random stooge the person responsible and make someone else do the work. If this bloke is the person who can make the county better then give him the role and responsibility. 

If the system is shit, fix the system rather than us just saying "300 years ago it was decided we should it this way, so we're doing it this way". 

People seem to be dead up for House Of Lords reform, let's chuck this on the pile of stuff to do as part of it.

• Like 4

If the Tories had done this everyone would be up in arms, because Labour have done it some are trying to justify it!

Just saying.......

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â