The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Sort of agree, sort of disagree. I certainly think the Tory and LibDem manifestos should get the same level of scrutiny, which they aren't

Well its obvious why that is - because neither party is going to be the next government . Everyone knows labour are the next government so they should be scrutinised more so we can see if they are telling the truth or full of shit like the tories.  I would expect the same if the tories were in labours position and going to win a landslide.   

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well its obvious why that is - because neither party is going to be the next government . Everyone knows labour are the next government so they should be scrutinised more so we can see if they are telling the truth or full of shit like the tories.  I would expect the same if the tories were in labours position and going to win a landslide.   

Right, so is that what happened in 2019?

The obviously winning Tory's had their manifestos promises more heavily scrutinised?
The honest answer is no they didn't

• Like 4

It's also true that the entire system was set against the 2019 Labour Party that people were positively giddy the Labour manifesto was being ripped to shreds. The centre had bigger dragons to slay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Right, so is that what happened in 2019?

The obviously winning Tory's had their manifestos promises more heavily scrutinised?
The honest answer is no they didn't

Are you referring to any specific organisation or the media in general? 

Im pretty sure johnson was grilled continuously about his Brexit plan in his manifesto in 2019? I also remember about all that shit about levelling up.  (Worst catchprase ever)

• 2 weeks later...

The only way is up. They come in not promising a great deal but for me the direction of travel is promising. If they get lucky and the economy picks up then we might see some big positive changes in the years ahead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

The only way is up. They come in not promising a great deal but for me the direction of travel is promising. If they get lucky and the economy picks up then we might see some big positive changes in the years ahead. 

Yup, I'm not excited by them at all, and couldn't bring myself to vote for them in a safe seat, but it's got to be better than what the Tories have served up

• Like 1

Im so pleased the Tories are gone and a lot of them.

Labour got a bit slated for not being big enough in their manifesto but when it was radical under Corbyn they got hammered. Not saying there isn’t a middle ground but with the state of the country at the moment all we need is some competence before making bigger changes and I believe they will do it over time.

Still absolutely shocked by 6 million who voted Tory and the 3 million who voted reform. That is a problem. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Still absolutely shocked by 6 million who voted Tory and the 3 million who voted reform. That is a problem. 

It's what happens when you have "sides" (Tory) and major division in the country (Reform).

I know people who voted Conservative because they've always voted Conservative and that's what their family does too.  Ludicrous to me, but "fair enough".

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's what happens when you have "sides" (Tory) and major division in the country (Reform).

I know people who voted Conservative because they've always voted Conservative and that's what their family does too.  Ludicrous to me, but "fair enough".

Used to have this conversation with my dad he was a clever man so why would he not vote for any party based on the the manifesto (which usually means absolutely nothing to be fair) and/or the state of the party/country at the time rather than always voting conservative.

Made redundant twice under Thatcher, grew up in a council house in a rough area with 3 siblings in the same bedroom but 2 of them got scholarships to private school. He was the ultimate Tory/Brexiteer who couldnt accept the failure of Brexit, loved Johnson, hated Starmer. My aunt very radical labour. He 100% would have voted reform if he was still alive. I cant get my head around it.  

I'm delighted they are back in and won so many seats but less happy that when you combine Reform with Conservative proportion of votes then it's much much closer. It suggests to me without the reform surge this election would have been much closer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

How dare they

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

How dare they

I think it's more "why are they?".

Reform largely campaigned on the back of "the Tories haven't done enough with Brexit and immigration", which is fine... but when you've got their candidates saying people should be shot and deep seated concerns over racism and misogyny in the party, how are they garnering that level of support?

(For me, that is a problem)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'm delighted they are back in and won so many seats but less happy that when you combine Reform with Conservative proportion of votes then it's much much closer. It suggests to me without the reform surge this election would have been much closer.

I think it’s possible that Reform (well, Farage) galvanised a number of people into voting who otherwise wouldn’t have voted at all.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think it’s possible that Reform (well, Farage) galvanised a number of people into voting who otherwise wouldn’t have voted at all.

was saying to someone just now ..Refrom got the same number of seats as the Greens , yet I doubt anyone even knows their names , barely got a mention in any of the TV I watched 

so yep presumably take Farage out the equation and Reform might well have tanked 

• Like 2

Best of luck to Labour, I didn’t vote for them, but yeah best of luck.

The specific promise here from Starmer’s own mouth, was noticeable improvement as we will have a Labour Senedd and Labour Westminster.

Here’s hoping for a few years of calm grown up politics conducted in a civilised manner without looking for scapegoats and pocket lining scams.

Hopefully the police can now properly investigate all the ppe fraud.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so yep presumably take Farage out the equation and Reform might well have tanked 

What are we talking about here? An unfortunate "accident" or a sniper from a grassy knoll? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

One thing is for sure. National Renewal is the slogan. A bit reminiscent of MAGA for me though. 

I do like the sound of Rachel Reeves.  She sees the benefit of what Biden has done in USA with the IRA, though admits we just don't have the money to replicate it, and sees proper economic policy as more important than letting Globalisation run rampant.  Just a decent thought out, connected industrial strategy, better relations with Europe and whatever Government stimulus we can offer would go a hell of a long way to kickstarting the economy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"At Leeds, he was influenced by the indie music of the 1980s, from The Smiths and The Wedding Present to Orange Juice and Aztec Camera". 

Bloody 80s rubbish, I'm going off him. 

Screenshot_2024-07-05-15-18-49-83_aee2dc313af8a92a16fcafcae1270359.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â