The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Where are they both on the biggest issue at the previous election - Brexit? 

The Tories have a PM and a substantial % of their party who actively campaigned FOR Brexit.

Labour's position is that Brexit was a democratic vote, and they are going to respect it... but they are far less Eurosceptic, and most of their front bench were on record as being Remain.

Surely you can see the difference in practice with how things are likely to pan out? Weird one to focus on, anyway, given the Labour left were much more ambivalent on the Brexit referendum than the centrists at the time.

2 hours ago, villaajax said:

The core don't need persuading? Starmer has lost 3 Labour votes in this house alone. I know he's lost my neighbours opposite too, so that's 5. Maybe seems nothing but how far does it spread? When I was a member, the people who actually bothered to go to CLP meetings were pretty left wing generally and now they're not even standing a candidate here for the local elections last I checked.

No, they don't. There are several million people who vote Labour and always will. There are people who don't know the difference between Starmer and Corbyn. People who don't even know who Starmer and Corbyn are. And will vote Labour. 

For all the "Labour lost in 2019 because the soft Labour betrayed Corbyn" talk, Labour got over 10m votes, and it's not because they're all "woooah-Jeremy-Corbyn" types. It's because outside the 1% who talk politics on the internet, people just tend to vote on the side that they broadly think is aligned to their values, if they even bother at all.

I agree that it's depressing that the current floating voter is a bloke in a Mansfield pub who knows that Brexit was right and can't understand why everything isn't now brilliant because the county has gone and done the thing that he knew was great.

But he still is, and it's not surprising that both main parties are trying to appeal to him.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I see, Brexit got done after all! 

I mean...yes? We are not members of the EU.

Brexit as a concept isn’t something that any party needs to have a policy on anymore.

There needs to sensible policies about diplomatic and trading relationships with Europe. But that's not the same as having a "Brexit policy".

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

But they do share a policy - "do not mention Brexit!"

Really? I counted 19 uses of the word Brexit in this article from the Labour website

Keir Starmer sets out Labour’s 5-point plan to Make Brexit Work

Keir Starmer sets out Labour’s 5-point plan to Make Brexit Work

Keir Starmer will use a speech at the Centre for European Reform (CER) on Monday to set out Labour’s 5-point plan to Make Brexit Work. The Labour leader will say that his plan will “deliver on the opportunities Britain has, sort out the poor deal Boris Johnson signed, and end the Brexit divisions once and for all”.

The Labour leader will argue that making Brexit work is essential because “you cannot move forward or grow the country or deliver change or win back the trust of those who have lost faith in politics if you’re constantly focused on the arguments of the past”.

4/7/22

The SNP say they will bring in the £25k Minimum Income Guarantee "as soon as possible", and the question is whether Labour should also make a similar promise, in an attempt to win seats in Scotland, to ensure they have a substantial working majority, when they take power?

45 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The SNP say they will bring in the £25k Minimum Income Guarantee "as soon as possible", and the question is whether Labour should also make a similar promise, in an attempt to win seats in Scotland, to ensure they have a substantial working majority, when they take power?

I don't see how Labour, as a party that offers itself for election in all three of the Great Britain countries could offer that as a policy

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I'd love to hear what Labour's shadow cabinet Peter Kyle has to say about Mohammed Yousaf's plans. 

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd love to hear what Labour's shadow cabinet Peter Kyle has to say about Mohammed Yousaf's plans. 

Why? Is he going to do some cricket coaching in Northern ireland?

I'm assuming you mean the cricket coach and not the new leader of the SNP

You could always email him to find out I guess

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm assuming you mean the cricket coach and not the new leader of the SNP as I'm failing to see the connection there

Kyle got Humza Yousaf's name wrong in a TV interview and called him what @Jarethreferred to him as.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm assuming you mean the cricket coach and not the new leader of the SNP

Think you've been 'caught behind' there matey - forgive the pun. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Think you've been 'caught behind' there matey - forgive the pun. 

Nicely delivered from the back of the hand with a lot of disguise, and Bicks has taken the bait. Humiliating for the batsman, who has to walk back to the clubhouse, although can we please talk about why Bicks is right about Starmer’s Labour being quite obviously different from the Tories on Brexit

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Nicely delivered from the back of the hand with a lot of disguise, and Bicks has taken the bait. Humiliating for the batsman, who has to walk back to the clubhouse, although can we please talk about why Bicks is right about Starmer’s Labour being quite obviously different from the Tories on Brexit

Quite a dry pitch

• Like 3

On 19/04/2023 at 18:33, Seat68 said:

Any response from the bowler will be at 2am when he bolts upright and says I need to try and catch Bickster out on Labour. 

Hahaaa - 9.45 pm. Bickster can obviously catch himself out - it's not the bickster thread after all. I wonder what the average age of folks in this thread is. We need the tories out, no doubt, but we cannot move on with the same old politics which is what Labour represent. I have a feeing that the youth who we all discount wanting to vote - will sweep through us like a new brush at some point soon. We cannot go on like this (if we expect to live longer than 40 years you old farts).  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â