The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

I think there’s a perception that while Johnson is shit and disliked, he also has loyal, unwavering support from some which could carry over and be enough. “The Boris bluster”. Basically he and his popularity is a bit unpredictable.

Whereas any of the potential successors  probably don’t have such a staunch fan base that will compensate for their shitness. Perhaps Truss could be the exception, maybe. 

Plus I think if Johnson resigned over this, the main players would be tainted by association and so would still carry that with them through to the next election.

It seems that Starmer is very confident that he can prove it was a work meeting, so he can afford to taunt Johnson with the resign card. 

• Like 1

There is no way Starmer has gone with the I'll resign if found to have broken covid laws unless he is certain he hasn't. It is why Johnson could never say if found to have broken the law he'd go as the lying toad knew as soon as he'd have said it he may as well start packing his case. 

The right wings rags have dropped a right bollock here and what they intended has completely back fired. It is quite amusing though seeing them still trying to stick the knife into Starmer over it. 

50 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There is no way Starmer has gone with the I'll resign if found to have broken covid laws unless he is certain he hasn't. It is why Johnson could never say if found to have broken the law he'd go as the lying toad knew as soon as he'd have said it he may as well start packing his case. 

The right wings rags have dropped a right bollock here and what they intended has completely back fired. It is quite amusing though seeing them still trying to stick the knife into Starmer over it. 

Yep I think so. Considering what Starmer does as a job, you’d think he’s gone through the rules and worked things other. 

Labour Party attempts to organise piss up at brewery in Wakefield

BBC

The entire committee that runs the Labour Party in Wakefield has resigned in a row with party HQ in London. 

The committee is angry about the way Labour's candidate for the forthcoming by-election in the West Yorkshire constituency is being chosen. 

Requests for a local candidate to be in place early were ignored, they say.

All they have to do is decide on a candidate to try and turn around a 3,000 majority. Yet, somehow…

On 10/05/2022 at 09:30, Mark Albrighton said:

I think there’s a perception that while Johnson is shit and disliked, he also has loyal, unwavering support from some which could carry over and be enough. “The Boris bluster”. Basically he and his popularity is a bit unpredictable.

Whereas any of the potential successors  probably don’t have such a staunch fan base that will compensate for their shitness. Perhaps Truss could be the exception, maybe. 

Plus I think if Johnson resigned over this, the main players would be tainted by association and so would still carry that with them through to the next election.

I think a bigger issue for the Tories TBH is just that they've now been in power for 12 years, and 14 by the next election. We generally seem to go on something roughly like a 15 year cycle in this country* and at some point soon the country is just going to get tired of them.

*I do think there's a lot of common sense wisdom to this 15-year-ish rule of thumb, but the problem with it is it makes out Ted Heath to have been some form of political colossus, so it's not hard science.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Labour Party attempts to organise piss up at brewery in Wakefield

BBC

All they have to do is decide on a candidate to try and turn around a 3,000 majority. Yet, somehow…

The candidate the local party wanted to pick has said nice things about Corbyn and Corbynism on social media, so that was that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think a bigger issue for the Tories TBH is just that they've now been in power for 12 years, and 14 by the next election. We generally seem to go on something roughly like a 15 year cycle in this country* and at some point soon the country is just going to get tired of them.

*I do think there's a lot of common sense wisdom to this 15-year-ish rule of thumb, but the problem with it is it makes out Ted Heath to have been some form of political colossus, so it's not hard science.

The candidate the local party wanted to pick has said nice things about Corbyn and Corbynism on social media, so that was that.

Labour’s rules says local committee gets 3 people on the selection committee, HQ decided they were going to vote for the wrong sort of candidate and gave them a single local person on the committee.

Who’s going to canvass for this imposed candidate selected by others?

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Labour’s rules says local committee gets 3 people on the selection committee, HQ decided they were going to vote for the wrong sort of candidate and gave them a single local person on the committee.

Who’s going to canvass for this imposed candidate selected by others?

People bussed in from other constituencies, plus any local rightists who fancy it.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying that there is a very thorough ideological purge happening so there was no chance they would follow their own commitments about local democracy if it was going to result in a guy who said nice things about Corbyn being chosen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People bussed in from other constituencies, plus any local rightists who fancy it.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying that there is a very thorough ideological purge happening so there was no chance they would follow their own commitments about local democracy if it was going to result in a guy who said nice things about Corbyn being chosen.

Yep,

They need to change the allegiance of about 2,000 voters so obviously the best thing to do is start the traditional internal politics. Far better to be the winner among the left cliques than present a decent candidate to the voters. A tale that will be played out in towns across the land at the next GE.

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep,

They need to change the allegiance of about 2,000 voters so obviously the best thing to do is start the traditional internal politics. Far better to be the winner among the left cliques than present a decent candidate to the voters. A tale that will be played out in towns across the land at the next GE.

I believe that at the last GE, particularly in the north, a dislike of Corbyn was found to be a major reason why Labour lost so many seats. Maybe that’s part of the reason why they’ve done what they have?

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I believe that at the last GE, particularly in the north, a dislike of Corbyn was found to be a major reason why Labour lost so many seats. Maybe that’s part of the reason why they’ve done what they have?

At least part of the reason in my constituency, was that due to in fighting the local Labour Party did no campaigning and posted no leaflets and gave the tory candidate a free run in the last two GE’s. 

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At least part of the reason in my constituency, was that due to in fighting the local Labour Party did no campaigning and posted no leaflets and gave the tory candidate a free run in the last two GE’s. 

I can believe that. For the past 5 or so years they’ve just been internally cat fighting.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

If that was the logic, you would expect that if a by-election came up in a part of the country where Corbyn did well, eg London, that they would pick a left leaning candidate. There is no chance that is true IMO. Simpler truth is they just intend to isolate and if possible expel the left of the party. 

To be honest, arguing over the candidate in Wakefield is pretty stupid. All they had to do was pick someone who wasn't a paedo and kept talking about how much they hate Johnson. Instead they've had a big factional battle with the local party and there is a small but real risk that it makes normal voters in the constituency feel looked down on from London. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If that was the logic, you would expect that if a by-election came up in a part of the country where Corbyn did well, eg London, that they would pick a left leaning candidate. There is no chance that is true IMO

Maybe, maybe not. It's completely hypothetical, until it happens. I suspect/hope that they'd ultimately pick someone most likely to win a particular seat, but the parties tend towards control freaky at HQ and tend not to like places being too "independent" minded.

I think in that London, where everyone likes Catweazle and free range lentils and stuff, that a more left leaning candidate would stand a good chance of both being picked, and then getting elected.

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

Maybe, maybe not. It's completely hypothetical, until it happens. I suspect/hope that they'd ultimately pick someone most likely to win a particular seat, but the parties tend towards control freaky at HQ and tend not to like places being too "independent" minded.

I think in that London, where everyone likes Catweazle and free range lentils and stuff, that a more left leaning candidate would stand a good chance of both being picked, and then getting elected.

Your mind is too beautiful and innocent for posting or thinking about the Labour Party :)

• Haha 1

On 09/05/2022 at 17:06, meregreen said:

Could be a cute move this. He’s offered his resignation if he’s found to have broken the rules. However, this incident has already been investigated once, and no offence was found to have been committed. Remember, this was a bona fide working meeting in an MPs constituency. Food was provided along with a beer within those parameters. Johnson was found not guilty when pictured doing just this in No 10s garden. Starmer  will have been shown offering to do the decent thing if found guilty of the same offence for which Johnson has already been fined. Puts Johnson in an awkward position if Starmer is found not guilty.

As long as Durham police kick it out, looks like you're right:

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Just because the Met do things one way doesn’t mean every force acts in the same way. There’s even an argument that Durham only sent questionnaire because the Met did.

There’s no way of knowing if it’s an actual concern or not

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â