The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Hopefully a real kicking in these elections and enough of the Tory MP's will get so worried for their seats he'll get knifed by the 1922.

I'd temper your expectations a bit here. There are about 7,500 positions being voted on, and the Tories are currently in under 2,000 of them due to the kicking Theresa May got last time they were up in 2018.

The herd has already been thinned enough that there won't be a cull.

• Like 1

Im actually under a tory council since i moved and surprisingly the councils run quite well here. My previous was labour and im sure people know my opinion on what that council was like 😂

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

Shall we start with the hot topic of the day. Energy Windfall tax and move on from there

I raise you Starmer refuses to say Labour will reverse national insurance hike at general election

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It seems BP are paying out £11bn to shareholders, which amounts to a 10% dividend.

I wonder how many of the current government ministers or their family own some of those shares.

I'm sure that has no impact on their decision not to impose a windfall tax 👀

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I raise you Starmer refuses to say Labour will reverse national insurance hike at general election

Thats Tories being Labour, so not an example of Tory-lite

8 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I wonder how many of the current government ministers or their family own some of those shares.

I'm sure that has no impact on their decision not to impose a windfall tax 👀

Oddly enough, I was wondering how many people's pension funds were holding those shares.🙄

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Oddly enough, I was wondering how many people's pension funds were holding those shares.🙄

I wonder if those people would want their energy bills reduced now as a short term measure than say a few extra pennies a week whenever they retire?

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

So you're saying the current Labour party are incapable of being Tory lite because the current Tories are Labour lite? I'm not seeing vast differences here, however you spin it. How do they vastly differ on immigration BTW? 

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

He does have a point i watched a interview on the bbc on sunday where lammy was asked directly would labour scrap the NI rise and he did not deny it. I dont believe for a second they wouldnt do the same on that subject.

I cant find the interview but heres the story

Click

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

I wonder if those people would want their energy bills reduced now as a short term measure than say a few extra pennies a week whenever they retire?

There are around 28m households in the UK, so confiscating BP shareholder's dividends amounts to £393 per household.

I suppose the question is: should all households get it?

35 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So you're saying the current Labour party are incapable of being Tory lite because the current Tories are Labour lite? I'm not seeing vast differences here, however you spin it. How do they vastly differ on immigration BTW? 

Labour have been arguing for higher personal taxation for some time, so do the LibDems.

Higher personal taxation is a left wing policy

So it isn't an example of Labour being Tories, it's an example of Labour being Labour

28 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There are around 28m households in the UK, so confiscating BP shareholder's dividends amounts to £393 per household.

I suppose the question is: should all households get it?

Yes, it's proposed as a one-off, adding means testing would be absolutely stupid

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Labour have been arguing for higher personal taxation for some time, so do the LibDems.

Higher personal taxation is a left wing policy

So it isn't an example of Labour being Tories, it's an example of Labour being Labour

But Labour are now more trusted on taxation, than the Tories - are they still being Labour? Or are they being a bit tory? Where's that vast difference gone?

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

But Labour are now more trusted on taxation, than the Tories - are they still being Labour? Or are they being a bit tory?

Odd framing that being "more trusted" on a subject is something that a party shouldn't aspire to.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

But Labour are now more trusted on taxation, than the Tories - are they still being Labour? Or are they being a bit tory? Where's that vast difference gone?

People trust the Tories less on taxation, I'm not sure what else you think that says

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

People trust the Tories less on taxation, I'm not sure what else you think that says

I know a few tories who are voting Labour next election - they're not doing that because they want the high taxation Labour of old. But each to their own - lots of folks are comfortable stating they're voting red, only to get blue policies - gives a sense of doing the right thing whilst changing very little at all. If a vast difference between the tories and labour should emerge - let me know. 

The Greens are reported as saying that the windfall tax should not be used to subsidise consumers but should be used to invest in renewable solutions.

It does seem like the public have been maneuvered into accepting high energy prices, which has added moral justification to the price hike.

The same is true of the sanctions placed on Russia, which have not only been applauded but demands have been made to make them more severe.

Some sources are predicting famine in poorer nations.

It sounds very much like what Chomsky describes as "manufacturing consent".

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I'd say it's pretty much inevitable. 45% of Africa's wheat imports for breadmaking comes from Russia and Ukraine.

I imagine it's a lot easier for us to demand a complete cut off from trade with Russia when it's unlikely to result in millions of people starving to death as a result.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The Greens are reported as saying that the windfall tax should not be used to subsidise consumers but should be used to invest in renewable solutions.

It does seem like the public have been maneuvered into accepting high energy prices, which has added moral justification to the price hike.

The same is true of the sanctions placed on Russia, which have not only been applauded but demands have been made to make them more severe.

It sounds very much like what Chomsky describes as "manufacturing consent".

You seem to have an awful lot of confusion here

The Greens don't make policy in this country and aren't remotely in with a chance of doing so

The whole point is that people believe in and understand the Russian sanctions but on the back of those increased prices the energy companies are making vast profits and the government is recieving much higher revenue for which the consumer who is paying those prices gets no relief and they should

The famine predicted in some countries is because Ukraine supplies wheat to a lot of Middle Eastern countries, the simplest way to alleviate that is to get the Russians out of Ukraine

There is nothing manufactured there unless you think some shady group of people put Russia up to this

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â