The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

It's not April Fools day is it ?

Labour's spokeswoman for the farming industry wants meat eaters to be targeted with public ad campaigns encouraging them to go vegetarian

we need Troy Mclure to make a counter advert with a slogan " Eat a cow , he'd eat you if he could "

Whenever I host a dinner party I always make sure there is a vegetarian option..........You can eat what your given or **** off. 

• Like 2

Matthew Parris (famed neutral and ex tory MP), was quite vehement on BBC R4 this morning that there is no way a vegetarian can be or should be allowed to be a minister in charge of agriculture.

So there you have it, you MUST eat meat if you want a political discussion on farming subsidy, on rural life, on EU quotas, on GM crops. You MUST eat meat.

I presume that meat has to include pork? MUST eat pork, so no jews or muslims or vegetarians can hold this office. 

Pillock Matthew Parris then went on to say that journalists outing David Cameron as a pot smoking teenage posh boy was below the belt and against the good journalists code to squeal about someone's past private life! That bit made me laugh.

Sorry, it was radio, so no quotes until it hits other media or appears on i-player. 'Broadcasting House' magazine programme 9:00am

• Like 1

Matthew Parris (famed neutral and ex tory MP), was quite vehement on BBC R4 this morning that there is no way a vegetarian can be or should be allowed to be a minister in charge of agriculture.

So there you have it, you MUST eat meat if you want a political discussion on farming subsidy, on rural life, on EU quotas, on GM crops. You MUST eat meat.

I presume that meat has to include pork? MUST eat pork, so no jews or muslims or vegetarians can hold this office. 

Pillock Matthew Parris then went on to say that journalists outing David Cameron as a pot smoking teenage posh boy was below the belt and against the good journalists code to squeal about someone's past private life! That bit made me laugh.

Sorry, it was radio, so no quotes until it hits other media or appears on i-player. 'Broadcasting House' magazine programme 9:00am

I guess for me meat eaters aren't Nazi's that demand everyone else follows their lifestyle ... So I'd be very suspicious of having a veggie dictating agricultural policy if they aren't capable of being objective , which this biddy clearly isn't 

same way I wouldn't make Caroline Lucas my minister for transport 

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but I have never met a veggie who's been uppity about me eating meat. I hear the tales which seem suspiciously apocryphal, all veggies I know are friendly and acknowledge it is merely their own personal choice.

Which I assume even potential ministers are allowed to make. Separating individual from the political is a decision most grown ups are able to make. I know there are symbolic issues, if if the minister for equalities is a bigot etc but tbh as long as their own view doesn't supercede their assessment of empirical relevant data, what's the issue? I mean you could easily switch the question round and say a meat eater is too personally involved - which is completely daft obviously - but then that's the point. 

I dunno, perhaps the minister for foreign affairs ought to be foreign.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just me but I have never met a veggie who's been uppity about me eating meat. I hear the tales which seem suspiciously apocryphal, all veggies I know are friendly and acknowledge it is merely their own personal choice.

Which I assume even potential ministers are allowed to make. Separating individual from the political is a decision most grown ups are able to make. I know there are symbolic issues, if if the minister for equalities is a bigot etc but tbh as long as their own view doesn't supercede their assessment of empirical relevant data, what's the issue? I mean you could easily switch the question round and say a meat eater is too personally involved - which is completely daft obviously - but then that's the point. 

I dunno, perhaps the minister for foreign affairs ought to be foreign.

And have had a few affairs.

• Like 2

The sooner we have lab-grown meat the better.

I think they want to ban it, not brand their own versions.

What would they call it?

RedMeat - something for everyone!

they could go into competition against tory mince: RightPig - we've been in pork for years!

• Like 3

I have no respect for Parris because I can't understand how a gay man could be part of a government which introduced Clause 28. 

His column in the Times is the most boring piece of journalism I can imagine.

But as for his statement about vegetarians, I think he should have made it clear that he meant proselytising vegetarians, and if he didn't make that clear he is, as you point out, out of order. 

Didn't listen to it  , didn't know he was making one for that matter

I can probably predict how it will play out  though ... Blairites will say it was woeful , Tories will say it's a threat to our national security , VT's Lefties will say something about Eton Toffs  and Bicks will still deny being a labour supporter even though he is in love with Corbyn

• Like 2

I watched it as despite not naturally being a leftist, there are some of his policies I'd like introduced if it's financially viable.  That said I don't think his speech convinced me in any way, but then it didn't seem designed for people like me but to satisfy those who voted him in, and I'm wary of the state-has-all-the-answers theory that seemed to be the backbone of what he was talking about.  He also relied on his autocue throughout and still stumbled on his words, but then 'smooth politician' has never been his charm, and he does come across as principled and honest at least.  I can't logically see him as being next PM, hopefully he can provide a robust opposition for a while though.

Telegraph 

Key pledges in Jeremy Corbyn's speech

• Promised to renationalise the railways 
• Put the housing crisis at the top of his agenda, promising a massive council house building programme 
• Promised to end the "stigma and discrimination" around mental health 
• Wants to extend statutory maternity and paternity pay to self-employed people 
• Asked David Cameron to help Teeside steel workers facing job losses 
• Vowed to make every school accountable to local education authorities 
• Savaged the Conservatives' "shocking" broken promises on child tax credits

much of the press appear unimpressed that the speech was cut n paste of old speeches, jottings and partly lifted from a blog

hadn't realised the other leaders wrote their own 

Apparently the list above has been largely dismissed as lacking anything that addresses what the public want to hear. Railways, steel, health, housing, jobs, education, tax and the lying tories. Yep, utterly missed the big issues of the day there Jeremy you plumb.

• Like 3

Telegraph 

Key pledges in Jeremy Corbyn's speech

• Promised to renationalise the railways 
• Put the housing crisis at the top of his agenda, promising a massive council house building programme 
• Promised to end the "stigma and discrimination" around mental health 
• Wants to extend statutory maternity and paternity pay to self-employed people 
• Asked David Cameron to help Teeside steel workers facing job losses 
• Vowed to make every school accountable to local education authorities 
• Savaged the Conservatives' "shocking" broken promises on child tax credits

much of the press appear unimpressed that the speech was cut n paste of old speeches, jottings and partly lifted from a blog

hadn't realised the other leaders wrote their own 

Apparently the list above has been largely dismissed as lacking anything that addresses what the public want to hear. Railways, steel, health, housing, jobs, education, tax and the lying tories. Yep, utterly missed the big issues of the day there Jeremy you plumb.

tbh I doubt any of those are high on the list of yer average Joe... So in that regard he was only really playing to his audience at conference 

• Like 1

Really?

Jobs, housing, health, tax and education not high up on the list? That would honestly surprise me, doubtless there are surveys that give lists of priorities if I could be arsed to research.

What would you say average Joe is interested in?

Please don't tell me it's the economic and democratic pro's and con's of various tiers of EU membership and zombies from Talibanistan! That's just the bigots and the gutter press, shirley?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â