The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Or if you're gonna have  a republic make sure it's one without a president 

Biennial national civic lottery.

First out of the hat: constitutional figurehead for two years (paid with some trimmings)

Places 2 to 200: Second chamber for the two years (paid with some trimmings)

Places 201 to however many thousand: jury duty (properly paid).

I've always found this desire for or acceptance of any kind of hierarchical power structure bizarre as it inherently creates power imbalances which can and often inevitably lead to abuses of power. I'd much rather try and shape a system that decentralises power as much as possible with governance based on consensus e.g. a kind of direct democracy.

I dunno. I ain't no political thinker.

• Like 1

I quite like having the Queen, it gives us something to put on the stamps and helps with brand Britain and she brings in tourists and so on. I think the Royal Family are in many ways an asset to the country. I think they're a bit like the Europa league, no one really cares until you get down to the last eight and we should trim the list of those that are subsidised by the taxpayer. 

However, I think that any powers that the monarchy have should be entirely ceremonial, they're for opening stuff, waving from balconies and being a sort of posh version of made in Chelsea. They shouldn't have any bearing on the way the country is run and no influence on either the government or the military. A PM that wants to do something will do it anyway, I remember Mr Blair being summoned and forced to tell the Queen a bunch of lies for his money making war - it didn't seem to stop him, despite the will of the people - as a representative or counterbalance to those interests that control things, the Queen is about as much use as tits on a fish - and rightly so - to imagine that she could actually carry out the duties she's nominally able to is folly.

In a nutshell, the Royal Family, I like them. Keep them, but don't make them any more important than Tower Bridge, Stonehenge or Flamingo land!

• Like 2

I've always found this desire for or acceptance of any kind of hierarchical power structure bizarre as it inherently creates power imbalances which can and often inevitably lead to abuses of power. I'd much rather try and shape a system that decentralises power as much as possible with governance based on consensus e.g. a kind of direct democracy.

I dunno. I ain't no political thinker.

I suppose there are several things there but chief amongst them is to try and construct a structure with layers that isn't hierarchical (or at least tries to deal with any inherent problems with imbalances of power) whereby each subsequent stratum's power is dependent upon the layer below.

I believe the ideal system is a self sufficient sustainable technologically advanced and educated society headed up by a benevolent dictator (me).

Pah. You'd have us singing Bread of Heaven every morning at 6am. ;)

I believe you've confused me with a rugby fan from central casting.

You're on the list.

• Like 1

I believe the ideal system is a self sufficient sustainable technologically advanced and educated society headed up by a benevolent dictator (me).

Pah. You'd have us singing Bread of Heaven every morning at 6am. ;)

I believe you've confused me with a rugby fan from central casting.

You're on the list.

make me Minister of justice and I'll over look the fact you stole him from my list

snowy.jpg

Who was the last major party leader not to have a university degree? I'm surprised more isn't being made of Cameron (first at Oxford) v. Corbyn (two grade E A-Levels and dropped out of North London Poly).

indeed , Oxford's a complete dump 

(one internet point for those who get the quote)

I don't think it matters tbh  on where or what level they were educated  , though schooling seems to be important to the left leaning side of the argument (Eton toffs etc)

Major is the answer to your question (was already touched on in this thread)

• Like 2

Article in the Torygraph making a case for 'people's QE', and Nick Cohen in the Spectator on giving up on the left.

I don't even know anymore.

wasn't the Torygraph article making the case against Peoples QE ?  or did we read different articles

Edited by tonyh29

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â