PauloBarnesi

There will be all kinds of data obtainable to get patterns and irregularities, it's allegedly happened multiple times and involves more than one player. This is without thinking of the ways in which he has been booked in the match, and the players name being in the location of the betting accounts.

I suspect he is massively ****, could be a jail sentence and at least a career threatening ban. 

There is also into coming out for a number of new accounts set up on the tiny island of Paqueta getting the maximum allowed for a first time bet of about £200 on him being booked, nothing on the result, nothing on the scorers.

One person who does well out of this is Dougie, far more caps you would think.

They all just look like cynical fouls to stop a break to me, so I don't think you could prove anything just from those. The evidence will be in the betting patterns.

• Like 1

It doesn't look good for him and if it's true then anything less than a 2yr ban would be criminal. The lower league lad mentioned earlier should be the precedent. Doesn't matter that's its in the prem or a high profile player 

Also would be interesting to see if he is then avoided by clubs or if people try to sign him again after the ban (if he's allowed to play). .

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

What a find. Also, before they played us.

This bloke has all the clips

Deliberate handball in the last minute. It doesn't look good for him.

Bit mental, as if he'd moved to City he must've been looking at ~£150k p/w. The risks (suspension, massive fine, missing out on City move, being dropped from National team, etc) surely don't outweigh the rewards (bit more money when you're already a multimillionaire). Why do it

14 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

It doesn't look good for him and if it's true then anything less than a 2yr ban would be criminal. The lower league lad mentioned earlier should be the precedent. Doesn't matter that's its in the prem or a high profile player 

Also would be interesting to see if he is then avoided by clubs or if people try to sign him again after the ban (if he's allowed to play). .

I mean after the whole Greenwood thing it seems there's nothing some clubs won't overlook if you are a decent player, unfortunately.

I can't say I'm overly surprised that spot-fixing has become a thing in football, which is depressing in itself, next it will be a ref who's been given instructions to hand out so many cards in a game etc.

Who'd have thought allowing the betting industry to pay its way into almost every facet of our sport would have resulted in this... and likely much worse...

1 hour ago, _AA_786 said:

Liverpool played an ineligible player a couple seasons ago and nothing happened and I think was Barnsley did something year before and got kicked out

Expect a lesser punishment

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Bit mental, as if he'd moved to City he must've been looking at ~£150k p/w. The risks (suspension, massive fine, missing out on City move, being dropped from National team, etc) surely don't outweigh the rewards (bit more money when you're already a multimillionaire). Why do it

Why do people gamble on games they know are mathematically rigged (eg fruit machines)? Why do people gamble sums of money they can't afford to lose? Why do people carry on when everyone is telling them to stop? It's the same for everyone: first it's thrilling, then it's addictive. Footballers aren't a different species, it happens the same way to them too. If anything they're even more susceptible because they've got loads of money, quite a lot of free time, not much education, and a massive sense of self-belief. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, colhint said:

There is also into coming out for a number of new accounts set up on the tiny island of Paqueta getting the maximum allowed for a first time bet of about £200 on him being booked, nothing on the result, nothing on the scorers.

One person who does well out of this is Dougie, far more caps you would think.

Not bothered once he goes to Arsenal in August ....

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, The_Steve said:

What a find. Also, before they played us.

This bloke has all the clips

That's the most damming one I think. That was opening day of the season and 93rd minute. Had to zoom in but he made it as obvious as possible he was going to handle it and get a yellow.

Did he play at AC Milan the same time as Tonali.....?

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

MailOnline investigation is worth reading

"The probe began when several bookmakers in Brazil received an unusual number of bets on Paqueta to be booked during West Ham’s Premier League game against Aston Villa on March 12, triggering an alert from their integrity monitoring systems. Most of the suspicious bets were traced to Paqueta Island, with the concern of integrity officials heightened by the fact that much of the money was gambled using new accounts.

In addition many of the punters had bet the maximum stake permitted on a yellow card market, which most operators cap at around £200, with up to £1,000 allowed for regular gamblers with a losing habit. Any yellow-card bet from a new account automatically triggers one of the many colour-coded warnings used by companies to monitor suspected foul play.

To complete an extraordinary series of events West Ham’s shirt sponsor Betway were the first bookmaker to raise concerns as Mail Sport revealed on Saturday, reporting the matter to the International Betting Integrity Association (IBIA), who passed it on to FIFA and the FA.

Mail Sport has subsequently learned that other bookmakers also took bets on Paqueta to be carded including at least one European operator and several local Brazilian operators. Some concerns about the Paqueta yellow card market were even flagged before kick-off at the London Stadium due to a major fall in the price, which collapsed to 8/11 from around 5/1 earlier in the week, despite the fact that he had only been booked five times previously in the league at that stage of the season."

Extraordinary.

• Like 1

I know a woman that works for the Gambling Commission - From what I've been told very single bookie has their own flags for betting patterns like this, and every single bookie pushes the absolute limit with it. I think one of the big boys got smacked with a naughty fine for taking very dubious bets, apparently there's still money in it even if the bet is rigged, because so many times it doesn't actually come in. I'm not against gambling, but the influence in sport needs to be looked at.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2024 at 13:02, Cizzler said:

Doubt this has anything to do with money for him, he never placed any bets so gained nothing from it.  Not saying he's innocent but for all we know he's been pressured into doing it.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Doubt this has anything to do with money for him, he never placed any bets so gained nothing from it.  Not saying he's innocent but for all we know he's been pressured into doing it.

Clearly the people who did bet on it did it to make money though... 

On 24/05/2024 at 16:18, HanoiVillan said:

Why do people gamble on games they know are mathematically rigged (eg fruit machines)? Why do people gamble sums of money they can't afford to lose? Why do people carry on when everyone is telling them to stop? It's the same for everyone: first it's thrilling, then it's addictive. Footballers aren't a different species, it happens the same way to them too. If anything they're even more susceptible because they've got loads of money, quite a lot of free time, not much education, and a massive sense of self-belief. 

I really don't think Paqueta is a gambling addict. Especially as no news has connected him to personally placing any of the bets. Otherwise I completely agree with what you've said. Addiction is real and I'm sure some footballers are gambling addicts. I just don't think it's the rationale in this instance. Possibly though

Just looks like he was trying to do a favour to some friends back home and word spread. Paqueta island has around 4500 residents, around 60 of them decided to bet on him getting booked in 4 games which cost the bookies around £100,000, When over 1% of the population, many of whom had never had gambling accounts before decide to bet on something as specific as a player who hardly gets booked getting a yellow card i can't really see how he can possibly say he knew nothing about it, maybe as a one off it would have just been brushed under the carpet but on a semi regular basis someone is going to take note.

Given the sums involved i have no idea why he couldn't have just given them some money instead if it was friends/family, if he chucked them a weeks wages once a year he probably wouldn't even notice

Â